February - hopefully the end of the cold days

Options
HLaR79
HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
We have had such a cold few months I noticed I am barely doing anything outside, I don’t mind walking outside in the winter usually but it’s been far too cold because I don’t own decent winter gear.

Anyways so far for February I am looking into different fitness choices, I can’t let the cold stop me, and I need to get up to 150 minutes a week of cardio activity..... not sure how I am going to do that yet....

Also I am working on portion control for me and my family, my husband finally got on bored with me and started tracking his food, and had some “sticker” shock when he seen what he was consuming. It’s so much easier to plan and measure when your not fighting against your family.

How is February starting out for everyone else?

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    amen to it being easier if you don't have to fight your family! I wish I could get my mom and dad and sister really on board with me. Mom tried, and when i was staying with them, she would try to at least tell me what was in what sometimes, but most times she either forgot to weigh it, or would forget important ingredients like butter, and there was some grumbling about what was being fixed. Now I'm into my own house and fixing my own dinners, but every time I'll stop by on my way home to check email or such, Mom asks "are you going to eat with us?" And each time I tell her no, because I've already got my dinner calories allotted. *sigh* I"m having enough trouble sticking to my calorie limits lately and have been finding myself over by an embarrassing amount (not to maintenance, but certainly not anywhere near acceptable), so I need to be able to control my own meals!

February here is one of the coldest months, though we're having good days and bad - some days are frigid and others are not so bad but everything is extremely muddy. We've got a little over a month to go - March 15 is when things begin to change around here, and while winter certainly isn't over by any stretch, after 3/15, the weather starts to gradually get warmer and we have fewer snowfalls, and by the end of March, spring will have started to set in with the crocuses and daffodils blooming and the robins being back.

Funny thing is that the snow and cold aren't really bothering me all that much; but then again, winter doesn't usually bother me too much anyway. I like my 4 seasons, though, and when I hear and see the 1st robin, that's when the spring bug will bite me :)
  • HLaR79
    Options
    February is usually really cold here too, and this year it has been consistent, even if we got warmer days the windchill was bitter and cold.... no breaks for us, but March is almost here

So on Tuesday I go to my first bariatric surgery appointments (I did an info session in December) and I will meet with a nurse, dietician, psychologist and kinesiologist.

Crossing my fingers I did enough this past two months to jump through quickly
  • HLaR79
    Options
    The last day of February!! my great-niece was born this morning, hard to believe my sister is a grandmother especially since we are not that far apart in age, she is only 40.

It is finally warm enough to walk outside again, yesterday we went for a 20 minute walk, the dog was happy but my hips not so much lol! In just about a week I will be buying an exercise bike to help me get in cardio time... I seldom walk fast enough to call it cardio, and I need to get up to 150 minutes a week for my surgery program.

Goodbye February I can’t wait to see what March will bring me!!!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    it was rather warm and mild here for the last week, though we had a ton a rain. tomorrow, though, the bottom drops back out again, and the forecast has a little snow for Friday. But that's not uncommon for where I live - March always gets a cold spell, and we usually have another around Easter. March 15 is when we start to slowly transition to spring, but we usually have to be past April 15 to be full into it, and past May 15 before we are usually out of the woods concerning frosts.

Though let tomorrow be yucky - let March come in like a lion and go out like a lamb! lol
  • jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    April 14 and we are in the midst of a (spring) winter storm--rain, sleet, hail, snow, lightning and thunder, strong winds, more snow....it is quite defeating to be housebound at this time of year. Usually I am enjoying outdoor walks but it just is not fun right now.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    That sounds like March weather! It really does seem like the seasons have shifted by a month, doesn't it, at least the last few years, anyway!

Where I live in WV, winter used to start in December, and reliably end in March. We might have some flurries the 1st of April, but that was usually rare; usually by the end of March, spring days were on their way.

But the last few years, winter doesn't seem to get going until January, but then it doesn't let up until the 1st of April. We had February like weather all March, and March like weather in April! The last 3 days have been nice and quite seasonal, but the forcast has the temperatures dropping back down early next week with the "s" word in the forcast again.

*shakes head* Someone tell that groundhog that his 6 weeks were up a long time ago! lol

but at least I was able to get out and do some yard work today. I put in 3 four foot square planting boxes today, digging up the sod where they were going to be, then mixing the peat moss, compost, and vermacellite for each box. I then put T-posts along the back of each box to support my vining plants I want to plant in the boxes. I also finished up one of the front flower beds, so its ready for planting, too - if the weather would ever be helpful. And I managed to get my grass mowed today!

And man, am I already sore; tomorrow is going to be really fun trying to play the piano for the church service! My body definitely isn't used to that sort of manual labor, and I was at it for over 3 hours. Good exercise, and while I'm sore, its a good kind of sore; I always feel better emotionally when I've put in a hard days physical work like that. Though the one big problem is - how on earth do I figure out how to eat back the exercise calories?!!!! lol
  • HLaR79
    Options
    The weather is crazy all over still it was so cold here last few weeks but hopefully the warmer weather is coming
  • jltheis7
    Options
    I'm sore from shoveling snow over and over. 16" this weekend and maybe another 12" Wed. I am so envious that you are gardening! It is such a healthy thing to do for your mind and body.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    *laughs* don't get too envious; right now my yard is covered in snow! It was in the mid seventies on Saturday; now it's the mid thirties!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    We had a giant ice storm over the weekend and snow all day today!

I DEMAND SPRING!
  • jltheis7
    Options
    We had a giant ice storm over the weekend and snow all day today!

I DEMAND SPRING!

I do too! I am watching the forecast for tomorrow anxiously; we are in a winter storm warning beginning at 7 a.m. just when I am supposed to leave for work. :#
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    We had a bad storm last weekend but have spring as of today! SO EXCITED!