WHAT ARE YOU EATING?

Hi Pals,
I'm very curious to see what other people are eating on Keto. I'd like to get food ideas and a gauge, to see if I've got this. If you're uninhibited enough to set your food diary loose, for the world (or just me) to read, please let me know who you are. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I've been low carb, keto and now low carb for the last 5 years. Generally all along, the only thing that has changed is the macro allocation.

I eat: fish, meat, eggs, vegetables, dairy, some fruit, nuts/seeds and some oils. Basically what most would call real/whole foods. I'm not anti anything (for me) except for sweets, low carb or otherwise. I'll have a little on occasion but not much or often. I'm better off to abstain rather than try to moderate.
  • TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Thanks @kpk54!
    I juiced daily for about 18 months before trying Keto. I miss all the nutrients I quickly got from my green drinks.
    I'm not sure how they'd taste w/out the fruit. Plain celery juice or spinach juice just doesn't seem appealing.
    I manage to get some berries in my diet and occasionally, I have 1/2 an apple and have to cut back on carbs the rest of the day. It's usually worth it.- I love apples!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 510 Member
    You shouldn't be missing any nutrients being on keto. Drinking your calories rather than eating your calories is not recommended. I love spinach and celery, but juicing them? Blech! I'd rather eat them.

My menu is rather boring, but easy for me. I have 2 eggs in the am, usually with bacon or sausage. The eggs have butter and cheese mixed in. Sometimes I'll make the 90 sec bread and have a sausage, egg & cheese "muffin". For lunch, I will usually make a salad with mixed greens and spinach, throw in some chicken and hard boiled egg and cheese. Ranch dressing.
    For dinner, could be steak, chicken, hamburg with broccoli, asparagus, or cauliflower. For "snacks" I'll have some nuts, berries, dark chocolate if my carbs are low.

Apples have approx 25 grams of carbs. Most of that is sugar. There is a reason you love apples because you like the sugar. On keto, you need to restrict sugar. Your body will not get into ketosis if you have sugar. Even half an apple could prevent you from reaching ketosis. So your carbs are low, but that sugar could prevent you from being in ketosis. But having said that, you will most likely lose weight if you are eating at a calorie deficit.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    My food diary is open.

usually salad or avocado and cottage cheese for lunch

dinner is usually meat and vegetables or meat and eggs and cheese
  • TheMerryMermaid
    jazzb9363 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be missing any nutrients being on keto. Drinking your calories rather than eating your calories is not recommended. I love spinach and celery, but juicing them? Blech! I'd rather eat them.
    There is a reason you love apples because you like the sugar. On keto, you need to restrict sugar. Your body will not get into ketosis if you have sugar. Even half an apple could prevent you from reaching ketosis. So your carbs are low, but that sugar could prevent you from being in ketosis. But having said that, you will most likely lose weight if you are eating at a calorie deficit.

@jazzb9363 Thank you for taking the time comment. I'm afraid you may have misunderstood what I wrote. I am no longer juicing while on Keto, as my juices have too many carbs to fit into my macros. However, I do recommend juicing to anyone who isn't keeping carbs under 20ish!
    Drinking your calories is not recommended by whom??? You might want to do some research on juicing vegetables and fruits before you poo-poo it! (#kriscarr, #joecross, #DrAxe, #LeAnneVogel). You may find it an acquired taste, but the nutritional benefits are indisputable.
    Juicing may not work well with the weight-loss stage of a Ketogenic diet, but there is a magnitude of health benefits to juicing or as you put it, drinking your calories.

Lastly, You've made quite the bombastic overstatement with your why you love apples statement! LOL! Seriously? C'mon! I love apples because of their incredible detoxifying effect on the body, they're alkaline with a pH of 8.0, have enzymes that help balance hormones and because they're full of minerals and have a decent amount of fiber.
    As I mentioned, I try to get half of an apple in occasionally, and that hasn't been enough to kick me out of ketosis! I've been in ketosis for several weeks now. Albeit, the scale isn't moving very fast, but I'm down a size!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 510 Member
    Whoa! You were the one who asked if "you got this". I'm just saying why I think you don't. But you do you.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    A true green juice does not carry the calories like bulletproof coffee, fancy "starbuck" stuff and the traditional smoothie or meal replacement drink. Those calories add up fast often without offering much for satiety and are usually what is referred to when talking about not drinking your calories.

The nutritional punch of green juice is phenomenal. I originally stopped because I could no longer justify the pulp waste/amount of vegetables/fruit required to create the small amount of juice. I also couldn't acquire a taste for it without a higher level of fruit... It would be interesting to try now that my definition of "sweet" has changed, but that is not why I originally stopped.

My food diary is open for my friends, but my macros are a little a higher than traditional keto, I have carbs set at 10%
  • TheMerryMermaid
    @kpk54 Thanks again for your input! I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. I really do appreciate all who take the time to respond to my discussion topic. I try to take away what I find valuable/credible and leave the rest.
  • TheMerryMermaid
    @kimberwolf71 Thank you for defining the green juice/drinking your calories conundrum!
    I feel the same way about testing out a Keto friendly (low/no fruit) green drink- I may be ready for it as my sweet-tooth disappears.
    I know a lot of folks who don't juice because of the amount of waste. I have tried making crackers and muffins out of the pulp and they were pretty bad! I do feel okay about giving the pulp to my flock of backyard chickens- they LOVE it and devour it. Their eggs get all the nutrients, so it's kind of an ethical, environmentally-responsible choice (in my opinion).
    I'm going to check out your food diary - thank you for letting me know!!!!
  • TheMerryMermaid
    @tcunbeliever Cool- Thank you! I'm going to check out your diary!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    There is also a current medical discussion going around about juicing removing the satiating fiber in fruits, causing them to be a straight spike of sugars to the body. This is complicating the health benefits for anyone who is metabolically challenged in this way. Even things like NutriBullets that blitz skins and such are being discussed.

As an insulin resistant but not diabetic person, I've been following all of these studies with great interest. However, we all know it will be decades before there is any true proof, for better or for worse, from medical studies being able to be repeated, etc.

I agree that there are a number of amazing nutrients in fruits and veggies, and that there are just as many of us with compromised digestion who might not be able to get those nutrients digested out ourselves...

But, I do know that I've also read numerous times that there is not a single nutrient, vitamin, or antioxidant benefit found in a fruit that is not also present somewhere in a vegetable.

Additionally, I've also read that when vegetable matter is removed completely from one's diet, the nutritional needs to balance out the fruits and veggies are changed dramatically...such as "Carnivores" here who only consume animal proteins on the dietary plan for decades or longer (some here, some elsewhere online) never developing scurvy despite never consuming any source of Vitamin C.

I personally find the entire nutrient subject utterly fascinating. I've completely overhauled my own health, being far healthier at a heavier than my lowest weight, even after a regain, by focusing on nutrients and vitamins/minerals.

I hope that you find another quick "nutrient" source to get in loads of nutritional value! You'll have to report back when you find especially nutrient dense foods that really hit the mark as far as the nutrient whammy you've been missing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    P.S. Have you tried elderberry extract in water? It's supposed to have many times over again the antioxidant and detoxing power of blueberries - in addition to being a viral inhibitor, and other things! I've only just learned of this one. And the extract I purchased has very very low carbs, and can be taken straight, in water, or mixed in to other drinks...

It can have a loosening of stool effect (great if you're constipated!), so that warning is one I want to share right off!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    I think my diary is open only to friends and it's not exactly a model of great nutrition but it's what works for me. My day usually starts with coffee and cream. I'm not very hungry in the mornings. Lunch is usually a bunless triple cheese from McDonald's or leftovers. Dinners are things like chicken wings, roast, steaks, homemade bun-less bacon cheeseburgers, sometimes a lower carb chili or stew, spaghetti squash spaghetti with meat sauce or alfredo, air fried chicken with low carb breading, fathead pizza. Sides for dinner are maybe green beans, a salad, pork rinds, sometimes something slightly carbier like carrots. Then I have a bedtime snack which might be berries with a little whipped cream, dark chocolate, peanut butter, Halo Top, or yogurt. I have an afternoon iced coffee with cream daily.

I don't eat a ton of veggies and even less fruit. Some things I eat are higher in carbs that strict keto would indicate being acceptable but if I bother to test I'm nearly always in ketosis. I rarely check anymore though because honestly I eat this way to control hunger and to reduce RA flare ups and as long as those are under control I don't see any sense in worrying about ketone levels.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    @TheMerryMermaid you have some darn lucky chickens and I think that is a perfect use for the pulp!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    I believe my diary is open to the public.
  • TheMerryMermaid
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    There is also a current medical discussion going around about juicing removing the satiating fiber in fruits, causing them to be a straight spike of sugars to the body. This is complicating the health benefits for anyone who is metabolically challenged in this way. Even things like NutriBullets that blitz skins and such are being discussed.
    Hi @KnitOrMiss,

Thanks for this information! Ya know, I too, believe, as you indicated, there are a couple of different camps that approach the idea of juicing very differently. I think they'd all prefer to share the same toothbrush rather than share a common theory!

Yes, there is a LOT to read out there on nutrition! Not sure what your sources are, but the internet is an ambiguous place full of perspectives both founded and unfounded. Actually, so is this Keto forum- just a tad less ambiguous.

Elderberry extract- I'm gonna investigate that asap! I have some elderberry lozenges and I have some Saint Germain on the bar, but that's it! Thanks a lot for this tip!

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    My diet is hardly fair to include. It's ketogenic, but mostly as a side-effect and not as a primary goal.

I eat steak and eggs. That's pretty much it. Sometimes I have hamburger, which is just ground up steak (right?). I don't do any carbs, except the ones in eggs.

I used to track. And, you could friend request me, in the unlikely hope that I start logging again. These days, I know that I can maintain a healthy weight without tracking or logging.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited February 2018
    Roast Chicken with skin
    Hamburger Patties with Bleu cheese on them Dipped in bleu cheese dressing
    Avocados
    Fat bombs with almond butter (I need this for pick me ups during the day)
    Pistachios
    Cashews
    Almonds
    Boiled Eggs
    Fried Eggs with Guacamole
    Spinach and Feta Fritatas
    Steamed or Oven roasted veggie
    - Asparagus
    - Broccoli
    - Cauliflower
    - Green beans
    - Yellow Squash
    - Zucchini
    - Brussels sprouts.

Salads without croutons
    Olive Oil based salad dressings.
    (My fave is Cindy's Barcelona Style Dressing)
    Salads include:
    - Red Onion
    - Red Bell Pepper
    - Kalmata Olives
    - Cucumber
    - Feta Cheese, or Queso Fresco
    - Spinach, Brussels Sprouts, or Roman Lettuce
    - Grape tomatoes
    - Shredded Carrots
    - Jicama
    - Celery
    Steak. Prime Rib preferably
    Other stuff:
    - Thick Cut Bacon
    - Ghee
    - Coconut Oil
    - Rice-less sushi w/Soy Sauce
    - Cream cheese on Celery
    - Grape Tomatoes with Grapeseed Oil, Minced Basil, Salt and Pepper
    - Marinated Tomatoes (garlic, onion, olive oil and balsamic vinegar)
    - Black Berries, Blue Berries, Straw Berries, Raspberries.

This WOE of eating is not restrictive. It just takes some creativity. I eat lots of carbs but they come from natural fibrous foods.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    YouTube "Headbanger's Kitchen", "RuledMe", "Keto Connect", "Cooking Keto with Casey" and, mostly for dazzling personality lol "Highfalutin' Low Carb"