Any IBS suffers and keto ?

Options
size102b
size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
edited February 2018 in Social Groups
I’ve been on keto 4 months at the beginning my ibs d was great 90% better but now it’s back :( meaning I’m struggling to be able to go out as needing the toilet.

Anyone else have this I’m thinking it must be too much fat and that’s only 80 grams a day ?

I can’t eat much veg so normal weightloss plans aren’t great as your menat to eat lots fruit and veg and ketosis has suppressed my appetite so now I’m stuck what’s going on :(

All I had yesterday was

6 king prawns 2 pm
1 teaspoon peanut butter

5 pieces bacon
2 eggs
Mushrooms
Small portion tinned tomatoes

1 jelly
Cream

20 ml semi skimmed milk

Net carbs 12 grams
Fat 80 grams
Protein 70 grams

Any advise to help is appreciated as I can’t do this if my ibs is chronic :( but I love keto

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you think it might be the high fat you can try reducing the fat and increasing the protein.
  • size102b
    Options
    If you think it might be the high fat you can try reducing the fat and increasing the protein.
    I read we shouldn’t eat too much protein as it turns into glucose ? It’s all confusing Thankyou for replying but I think I’ll stop adding fat and just get my fat from food
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    I read we shouldn’t eat too much protein as it turns into glucose ? It’s all confusing Thankyou for replying but I think I’ll stop adding fat and just get my fat from food

The body is always turning unused amino acids into glucose. The brain actually does require about 30% of its fuel as glucose, which is fine for Keto, because our body can make (and like I said, is always making) some glucose from protein. This happens in the body Keto or no keto. There is no evidence that eating more protein can speed up that rate. From all I've read, the rate of conversion is fixed regardless of diet. We aren't talking about eating 3 more chicken breasts a day; we're talking upping your protein a little bit and lowering the fat a little.

I hope your new strategy helps. :smile:
  • size102b
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    size102b wrote: »

The body is always turning unused amino acids into glucose. The brain actually does require about 30% of its fuel as glucose, which is fine for Keto, because our body can make (and like I said, is always making) some glucose from protein. This happens in the body Keto or no keto. There is no evidence that eating more protein can speed up that rate. From all I've read, the rate of conversion is fixed regardless of diet. We aren't talking about eating 3 more chicken breasts a day; we're talking upping your protein a little bit and lowering the fat a little.

I hope your new strategy helps. :smile:

Thankyou :smiley:

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I can tell you personally, that as a sufferer of compromised digestion due to gallbladder removal and chronic diarrhea/constipation at random (regular BM's are rare for me) that tomatoes are one of two foods that cause reactions for me now. It no longer seems to matter if they are cooked or raw, etc.

The other is greens. The healthier for you, the worse my reaction. And raw is bad here. I can tolerate cooked ones somewhat.

Apparently this is somewhat known and understood with modern gallbladder patients, though I learned myself, the hard way (my GB was out in December of 2000, and the person who told me her surgeon and doctor told her she'd have issues with them had hers out far more recently)...

As an IBS-D sufferer, I'm given to understand that fiber is something you already avoid...

You might consider going "carnivore" or eating only animal products as an elimination test, because some folks have discovered that vegetation of any kind can trigger the IBS reactions... Another option might be to use a medication like Imodium that is anti-diarrheal. But, I know some people can't use these medications, and there might be limits to the usage, though unsure of that presently. Something that has helped me to date is Digestive Enzymes, including Ox Bile since I no longer concentrate/produce mine effectively... Oh, and I almost forget, taking Diatomaceous Earth can also help with some of these issues - you can look up some very educational videos on YouTube and such.

There are a number of factors...and so many things you could try. But I can tell you, the times I've had to step away from Keto (temporarily) for my sanity have all been Diarrhea/loose/acidic stool related. When they find a cure for that, I'll be first in line. Also, here is an article that might give you some other things to consider.

http://nobunplease.com/diarrhea-low-carb-keto-diet/
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Also, the eggs, milk, and peanut butter all jump out at me as potential food sensitivities that might have previously be hidden by your underlying IBS-D.
  • size102b
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, the eggs, milk, and peanut butter all jump out at me as potential food sensitivities that might have previously be hidden by your underlying IBS-D.

Thankyou and I’m sorry you suffer mines been 23 years and no real medical help Doctors in uk don’t care.
    I think peanut butter maybe a problem I’ve only just started eating it this week and it’s flared up. I hate tomatoes and eat little veg so I’m unsure what’s triggered it this time - maybe as I was eating cram and butter , it’s a worry as I love keto but like you say I may have to eat mainly meats etc eggs are okay

Thankyou for your help it’s appreciated.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @FIT_Goat @Sunny_Bunny_ @Dragonwolf

Do any of you have any specific resources about treating IBS with Carnivore/Zero Carb? It might be something that @size102b would like to research for herself.

Thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve had digestive problems since I was a kid. I had my gallbladder out when I was only 16 and only after it taking 2 years to figure out that I had over 100 gallstones.
    I dealt with IBS mostly my whole life and it got a lot better on keto but I still had chronic constipation unless I took high doses of magnesium every day.
    I always blamed eating too much cheese and protein for my troubles on keto.
    Then I decided to try a month of carnivore just out of curiosity. I was hoping to suddenly make scale weight loss start up again. Well, that didn’t really happen but I did finally resolve my IBS completely. I discovered by accident that it is plants that was causing my remaining symptoms.
    I feel completely normal with no IBS symptoms and about an every other day regularity now that is completely healthy and uneventful.

Check out this site
    https://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/ibs.html
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    This is a n=1 report about Crohn's disease: http://www.ijcasereportsandimages.com/archive/early_view_articles/early-view-pdfs/773_Z01_2016040099_CR_EV.pdf

I hate to speak directly about medical conditions, especially IBS because there seems to be so many different issues that can cause the syndrome. But, a ton of people report extreme relief when they finally go zerocarb/carnivore.

What follows is probably a bit TMI for most people. Feel free to skip it.

I was never diagnosed with IBS, but my whole life I suffered from various gut issues. About 90% of the time I had very loose bowel movements, basically diarrhea, and then 5% of the time I was constipated. I almost never had a normal gut. I would be in the bathroom 5-7 times a day. I realize, for many IBS sufferers, that might seem mild. For me, it was just normal. I could control it, but it was not normal. And, every day my gut would groan and growl all day long. An ex-GF would call me on the phone and be able to tell if I had eaten pizza just based on the sounds coming over the phone. They were loud enough to hear over the conversation. I had horrible gas all the time. I had a few close calls with the loose bowels and gas, but was very good at telling the difference. I suffered from horrible cramps, pretty often. It wasn't every day, but it was often enough that I just assumed it was normal and happened after people ate.

I assumed I was lactose intolerant. I ate a fair amount of cheese, and was unwilling to stop, so I just thought it was the dairy. I am no longer convinced that dairy was the issue. I can eat way more dairy right now than I ever did back then. I don't eat a lot of dairy (not eating any at the moment), but that's not for those issues.

Keto helped, a lot. I still had issues, but it was better. I can, now, see a pattern for the issues. At the time, I was happy because it was better. Then I went zerocarb (meat-only... no veggies, no fruit, no plant foods at all). Within a few weeks, my gut was so different that I almost didn't believe it. I was regular. I had no cramping. I had no growling. I was using the bathroom once a day and it was normal. I had no gas (although it was my wife who pointed out that I no longer fart). My whole life, I thought my gut was normal and everyone dealt with that stuff. Why wouldn't I? There are 50 commercials a day about OTC drugs for problematic digestion. I didn't even know how horrible it was.

I can't promise that your results would be the same. But, I can say that it was wonderful for me. It has been wonderful for a lot of people that I read about.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Seems to me as previously suggested, that zero carb (or carnivore keto) may be a good fit for you. Consider trying it for 30 days and take notes as to any improvements re the IBS issues or not to help you decide one way or the other.
  • Munchberry
    Munchberry Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the possibility of a sensitivity to shelled seafood or dairy? My husband has a shelfish allergy wherein if it is even slightly undercooked his tongue swells - but also he gets such terrible mucus in his stool for like a week. I have trouble with dairy. Too much and I am in serious bowel trouble.

I am doing Keto. I have found to have about 90% relief from IBS trouble. Occasionally something goes haywire. Haven't sorted it yet. I will before my doctor ever will. Seriously.
  • Munchberry
    Munchberry Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Fitgoat - I was so much like you. My first month on Keto I was so emotional about not having serious gut problems. I felt human and full of energy. And no farting. If I fart I am sort of shocked. Seriously. Fart talk. Whew. Happy convo.
  • size102b
    Options
    I’ve had digestive problems since I was a kid. I had my gallbladder out when I was only 16 and only after it taking 2 years to figure out that I had over 100 gallstones.
    I dealt with IBS mostly my whole life and it got a lot better on keto but I still had chronic constipation unless I took high doses of magnesium every day.
    I always blamed eating too much cheese and protein for my troubles on keto.
    Then I decided to try a month of carnivore just out of curiosity. I was hoping to suddenly make scale weight loss start up again. Well, that didn’t really happen but I did finally resolve my IBS completely. I discovered by accident that it is plants that was causing my remaining symptoms.
    I feel completely normal with no IBS symptoms and about an every other day regularity now that is completely healthy and uneventful.

Check out this site
    https://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/ibs.html

Thankyou I will look at that , I’m sorry you had this too it really is awful
  • size102b
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    This is a n=1 report about Crohn's disease: http://www.ijcasereportsandimages.com/archive/early_view_articles/early-view-pdfs/773_Z01_2016040099_CR_EV.pdf

I hate to speak directly about medical conditions, especially IBS because there seems to be so many different issues that can cause the syndrome. But, a ton of people report extreme relief when they finally go zerocarb/carnivore.

What follows is probably a bit TMI for most people. Feel free to skip it.

I was never diagnosed with IBS, but my whole life I suffered from various gut issues. About 90% of the time I had very loose bowel movements, basically diarrhea, and then 5% of the time I was constipated. I almost never had a normal gut. I would be in the bathroom 5-7 times a day. I realize, for many IBS sufferers, that might seem mild. For me, it was just normal. I could control it, but it was not normal. And, every day my gut would groan and growl all day long. An ex-GF would call me on the phone and be able to tell if I had eaten pizza just based on the sounds coming over the phone. They were loud enough to hear over the conversation. I had horrible gas all the time. I had a few close calls with the loose bowels and gas, but was very good at telling the difference. I suffered from horrible cramps, pretty often. It wasn't every day, but it was often enough that I just assumed it was normal and happened after people ate.

I assumed I was lactose intolerant. I ate a fair amount of cheese, and was unwilling to stop, so I just thought it was the dairy. I am no longer convinced that dairy was the issue. I can eat way more dairy right now than I ever did back then. I don't eat a lot of dairy (not eating any at the moment), but that's not for those issues.

Keto helped, a lot. I still had issues, but it was better. I can, now, see a pattern for the issues. At the time, I was happy because it was better. Then I went zerocarb (meat-only... no veggies, no fruit, no plant foods at all). Within a few weeks, my gut was so different that I almost didn't believe it. I was regular. I had no cramping. I had no growling. I was using the bathroom once a day and it was normal. I had no gas (although it was my wife who pointed out that I no longer fart). My whole life, I thought my gut was normal and everyone dealt with that stuff. Why wouldn't I? There are 50 commercials a day about OTC drugs for problematic digestion. I didn't even know how horrible it was.

I can't promise that your results would be the same. But, I can say that it was wonderful for me. It has been wonderful for a lot of people that I read about.

Wow how great is that I’m so pleased you are much better now. I know fat isn’t helping as yesterday I cut out cream and peanut butter today no toilet and no pains ? But I have to agree I think veg and fruit is a killer for me too. I went off fruit years ago even to look at it makes me was to throw up so maybe my body telling me something there.

I do worry that no carbs is dangerous the old internet scaremongering lol but it’s worth a shot as life is intomabke some days

Thankyou

• size102b
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Seems to me as previously suggested, that zero carb (or carnivore keto) may be a good fit for you. Consider trying it for 30 days and take notes as to any improvements re the IBS issues or not to help you decide one way or the other.

Yes it’s worth a try as life’s so hard work atm with toilet issues
    Thankyou
  • size102b
    Options
    Munchberry wrote: »
    Have you looked into the possibility of a sensitivity to shelled seafood or dairy? My husband has a shelfish allergy wherein if it is even slightly undercooked his tongue swells - but also he gets such terrible mucus in his stool for like a week. I have trouble with dairy. Too much and I am in serious bowel trouble.

I am doing Keto. I have found to have about 90% relief from IBS trouble. Occasionally something goes haywire. Haven't sorted it yet. I will before my doctor ever will. Seriously.

I was having rarely any problems in keto for a month or two then bam ibs d flared up I think it’s cream and peanut butter also worse at ladies time of the month and veg but everything’s worth trying
    Thankyou
  • size102b
    Options
    Munchberry wrote: »
    Fitgoat - I was so much like you. My first month on Keto I was so emotional about not having serious gut problems. I felt human and full of energy. And no farting. If I fart I am sort of shocked. Seriously. Fart talk. Whew. Happy convo.

This is Month 5 for me and it’s slowly glaring up ibs d I think it’s too much cream and peanut butter though
  • Jaydensmamma
    Jaydensmamma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto awhile and I have colitis. My colitis is almost 100% cured as of right now. The only thing I can say is to look back at what triggered your IBS before starting keto and try to cut those things out. My triggers were fiberous foods, red meats, spicy foods, dairy, and tomatos. I can now eat all those things with minimal to no complications to my colitis but I can suspect maybe that you are experiencing some of your old IBS triggers coming back. When I have a cheat day with a lot of carbs those foods will start to mess with my colitis again for a few days. You may want to look at your carb consumption and make sure its not too high??
  • Jaydensmamma
    Jaydensmamma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nvm on the carbs. At 12g you're definently in the clear there!