Fat

Ok here is my question oh wise Keto peeps. I am just starting back keto again. 2nd time went off due to illness. Now I am back and I find I am going over in my fat each day. Is this a bad thing? last two days I have been over by 50-80g not bad fat the good fat. Low on my carbs though like under 50gr. I am not doing the total keto at 25g or less I need to do around 50gr according to my doctor thyroid issues. Just wondering if the high fat is a bad thing or not.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I guess if you’re overeating in general that’s probably not great but that would also depend on your goals.
    If you want to lose weight, overeating isn’t going to work out so well.
    You definitely don’t want to undereat protein though. So hopefully the overage of fat isn’t due to underrating protein.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    No I am good on my protein. Just over on my fat the last two days and under on my carbs
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Two days doesn't matter in the big picture, but do your best to stay under your carb max and hit your protein goal on most days, and on average.

Remember if your goal is weight loss, the more fat you eat the less comes off your body. Use your body's fat stores first :)
  • stevejill91
    stevejill91 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2018
    Higher carbs with higher fat may cause some weight gain, can't mix the two. In my opinion you eed to be in one side of the fence or the other. My friend has thyroid issues and on meds but is on keto with less than 10 carbs a day with no issues. He is hoping to get off his meds eventually. That being said docs know best. ?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    If you're in the adaption period, @skinnyeascolady - so you're probably okay. It takes a little more fuel to begin the "engine" conversion in your body to properly use the ketone energy.

I'm also a thyroid patient, and I did great at 50-60 grams for a while, then tried bumping lower, and did okay for about 2 months, and I've been on a roller coaster with my thyroid function tanking and improving, over and over again. If your doctor is telling to you not go much below 50 grams of carbs, mainly from whole food veggie sources, I'd follow that.

Remember that protein is a minimum goal range.

And fats fill in to satiety.

During the first 4 weeks or so, you might be eating closer to maintenance numbers, and that's fairly normal for most people.

But...deficits should be looked at on a 7-10 (or even 14) day average. You might eat less one day, and more the next. Natural shifts in hunger are totally normal! Let us know how you're doing.