Supplements

Options
spdaphne
spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
Do you take any supplements?

I take:
Garden of Life's Primal Defense ULTRA Probiotic Formula
Rainbow Light's WOMEN'S ONE MULTIVITAMIN
Rainbow Light's Advanced Enzyme System (digestive enzyme)
Nordic Naturals - Ultimate Omega, Support for a Healthy Heart (fish oil)
Integrative Therapeutics - Tri-Magnesium

I've found the magnesium and fish oil to make a huge difference. Fish oil has helped my dry skin a lot and magnesium has helped my sleep feel more rested. It's amazing. I never took them before until recently. Lots of health benefits from both supplements.

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    No, I’d rather eat well than take pills. I also think the supplement industry is mostly a scam and they play on wealthy western societies to buy products that we don’t need.

Although - I periodically take vit D in winter because I’m perimenopausal and live in a northern region, do don’t get lots of sun for much of the year. I also agree about taking fish oil supplements if you don’t eat fish (we have it several times per week and I don’t worry). I try to eat enough meat so get a good level of iron and B12, because I have a history of anemia. Finally, probiotics are not going to hurt, but the jury is still out as to whether they make a difference; I certainly eat yogurt for the same reason!

All women who could get pregnant should take a 400 mg folic acid supplement. That’s my public health message for the day!!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended a multi and a B complex and I DO feel better when I’m consistent with them. Also D because I get very low in the winter, and a food-based iron because I’m anemic. I like Innate Response vitamins which are made from whole food, mostly veggies. And Nordic Naturals for the fish oil.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I take vitamin D and magnesium every night. And a ginger pill in the morning to help with nausea sometimes.

Hmm should I start up with fish oil? I never eat fish (yuck!) and I do have really dry skin.
  • arameni
    arameni Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I take a ton! I'm basically a carbatarian, so not much healthy eating going on here (but at least I've been eating less unhealthily since I started logging again?). My doctor (well, nurse practitioner) told me to take multivitamins and a vitamin D-3. I have a prescription iron supplement that I take inconsistently.
    I recently started taking probiotics/"green food" powder because I started a round of antibiotics for my moderate acne (I haven't had a day of clear skin in like 14 years and I can't take it anymore!). I read that antibiotics can wreak havoc on your digestive system and probiotics are supposed to help.
    Also for acne, I'm taking (again, inconsistently) a zinc supplement and I'm about to start taking evening primrose oil too. These are all to support my topical gels (benzoyl peroxide 2.5% that I've been using [consistently!] for over 2 years, and adapa lene 0.1%, which I started in November) that were not enough to clear my skin on their own.
    I hate that supplements aren't strictly regulated and I wish I could find a directory of products that have been tested by an independent third party to verify their contents.

Summary: multi, d3, probiotic/green food, zinc, evening primrose oil, and some fear.

Hmm, might add magnesium now too!
  • bribucks
    Options
    @arameni Magnesium is recommended for people who take vitamin D because they work off each other, which is why I take it. I do magnesium glycinate because other forms make you poo too much! :s
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I just had my checkup with my dr and she said I was vitamin d deficient (this was a retest from July 2017 when I was vitamin d deficient) and she told me to start taking Centrum so I will pick some up this week. Other than that I currently don't take anything. Oh.... well, I don't know if flax seeds are counted as true supplements but I am getting ready to start doing green smoothies daily and a tablespoon of those will be added in. That's all for me.
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    bribucks wrote: »
    I take vitamin D and magnesium every night. And a ginger pill in the morning to help with nausea sometimes.

Hmm should I start up with fish oil? I never eat fish (yuck!) and I do have really dry skin.

If you try fish oil, you might take it in the evening to avoid fishy burps.
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Ocuvite 50+ multi
    Vit D
    Vit E
    CoQ10
    Vit C
    B complex
    Biotin (for my nails)

Seems like a lot but my doctor said the mix was ok so to keep doing what I’m doing. The only interesting thing is that when I tested low for Vit D, my previous doctor put me on 50k units once a week for 12 weeks and then when I asked for a retest to see if my number was up, she said insurance doesn’t cover a second test. So how do we know if it worked? She couldn’t really answer. I have a new doctor and she says that the 4K units that I am taking daily should be doing the job but will run the test again after I lose 20 lbs and go back for my blood pressure check. I’m hoping to go off my high blood pressure meds then. Fingers crossed!
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm vitamin d deficient and anemic so I take an Iron pill and D3. I found one I really like:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GB85JR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Also started taking Flaxseed Oil which has omega 3-6-9. Better than fish oil for me.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GBQ3K54/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I try to take a multivitamin too.

I'm terrible about taking pills (hate them!) but I feel so much better when I do.
  • YAJ3507
    YAJ3507 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I take Trader Joe’s multivitamin for women - it’s gentle on stomachs (some vitamins make me nauseous). I also take a fish oil and vitamin d. Most women are vitamin d deficient. Super important!
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I take 1000 mg Emergen C every day, especially during the flu season (I work in a hospital with lots of germs). One Omega 3 fish oil (no problems with burps but still dry skin) and multivits (gummies or pills for women, or pills for seniors from 99ct store, depending on my budget as the Emergen C is $ 9.97 a month).
  • nvasquez41
    nvasquez41 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Megan91384 wrote: »
    I'm vitamin d deficient and anemic so I take an Iron pill and D3. I found one I really like:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GB85JR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Also started taking Flaxseed Oil which has omega 3-6-9. Better than fish oil for me.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GBQ3K54/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm terrible about taking pills (hate them!) but I feel so much better when I do.

I just got those same flaxseed oil supplements in the mail today! Do you like them, have you noticed any changes ?
  • bribucks
    Options
    I think I might add some fiber gummies to the mix. I try and try but just can’t get enough in my diet. (And I’m hoping that’s the cause of my semi-chronic constipation.)
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    nvasquez41 wrote: »
    Megan91384 wrote: »

I just got those same flaxseed oil supplements in the mail today! Do you like them, have you noticed any changes ?

I feel like my immune system is better than before and also my hair and skin look better. So far so good! Haven't taken them for too long yet but like the results so far.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Today I started my daily Centrum for woman vitamin and my Rhinocort allergy spray. Tomorrow I’m starting my daily green smoothie with flax seeds (I have to go get some more spinach). I think this system will work well for me in terms of an energy booster and resting at night.
  • Fatimahasnain
    Fatimahasnain Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I take 2 dates daily as vitamin.. no more hairloss :)
This discussion has been closed.