Coffee

Jacqgh777
Jacqgh777 Posts: 150 Member
I think is going to be the hardest thing to kick. What did y’all use for coffee? And what did you use instead of sugar. Not a big fav of stevia or anything like that when you put it in hot liquids. Yuck.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I drink coffee every day. Most of the day actually. ;) I kept trying to wean myself off sweeteners for my coffee and I fought that for months. Never being able to reduce it further. That kind of made me mad and at that point I realized it was almost addiction-like so I quit all sweeteners completely. Started drinking coffee either black or with half n half. Then I realized the biggest problem was that my coffee was just terrible! So I shopped around trying different brands and started grinding it myself so it was more fresh and found better ones that I liked more and could drink without sweetener.
    If you want to quit coffee, try herbal tea. You may not even feel like you need to sweeten it as so many have really nice flavors on their own. Since it would be new to you, you wouldn’t already have an expected level of sweetness either so it should be simpler to to just learn to drink it without sweetening it.
    Broth is also a good choice.
  • Jacqgh777
    I drink coffee every day. Most of the day actually. ;) I kept trying to wean myself off sweeteners for my coffee and I fought that for months. Never being able to reduce it further. That kind of made me mad and at that point I realized it was almost addiction-like so I quit all sweeteners completely. Started drinking coffee either black or with half n half. Then I realized the biggest problem was that my coffee was just terrible! So I shopped around trying different brands and started grinding it myself so it was more fresh and found better ones that I liked more and could drink without sweetener.
    If you want to quit coffee, try herbal tea. You may not even feel like you need to sweeten it as so many have really nice flavors on their own. Since it would be new to you, you wouldn’t already have an expected level of sweetness either so it should be simpler to to just learn to drink it without sweetening it.
    Broth is also a good choice.

I really appreciate your response...
    I’m with you on the coffee. I just can’t drink it without a hint of sweet.. Are there any keto friendly sugar substitutes?

My bone broth arrives tomorrow! :-)

• stevejill91
    stevejill91 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2018
    I drink coffee every day, 1tbs coconut oil, butter, 80% dark chocolate. Put in a blender and total bliss. I use stivia every day, does not seem to effect my glucose levels, pretty steady at 70 + -. weight still coming off.
  • Jacqgh777
    That is fantastic! Congratulations on the weight loss. I am not a fan of stevia but I do have keto approved sugar free maple syrup. I may try that with heavy cream.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    In a 16oz mug I do a heaping tsp of xylitol sweetener (I was going back and forth on what to get, I'll probably try swerve next. I like xylitol though. I don't test my blood sugar but I worry if this spikes insulin or not. I use it sparingly as possible) then two TBS heavy whipping cream and 1/4 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I don't really like my coffee to taste too much like coffee lol. But I love the caffeine and helps to stay somewhat regular. I brew the coffee grounds with a few generous shakes of cinnamon powder too, yum.
  • Jacqgh777
    Thank you!!
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    I drink coffee every morning with 2tbsp of heavy cream, 2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk and just this week 1 tbsp coconut oil then I blend it with my blender....super yummy. I used to use stevia but I found buying the kind of coffee that I can actually stand the taste of is kinda important too. The lighter the roast the better and less bitter the taste.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    In a 16oz mug I do a heaping tsp of xylitol sweetener (I was going back and forth on what to get, I'll probably try swerve next. I like xylitol though. I don't test my blood sugar but I worry if this spikes insulin or not. I use it sparingly as possible) then two TBS heavy whipping cream and 1/4 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I don't really like my coffee to taste too much like coffee lol. But I love the caffeine and helps to stay somewhat regular. I brew the coffee grounds with a few generous shakes of cinnamon powder too, yum.

@Shannonigans84 ...just fyi, yes, xylitol does indeed spike blood sugar. Swerve, which is an erythrito-basedl sugar-substitute, does not.

Here;s an interesting little video of the Keto Connect couple testing several of the more popular sugar-substitutes on themselves over the course of a couple of weeks and their results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw&t=572s
  • Jacqgh777
    @ladipoet - this was very educating. Thanks so much. I did the keto semi this week. Hitting it full
    Force next week. Nice to know this information on what sweeteners are safe and unsafe for Keto.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    This post has made me thankful in many ways I never even thought of that I have always drank my coffee black. I couldn't imagine not having my favorite cuppa repetitively throughout the day!

Thank you for the grateful moment :smiley:
  • ladipoet
    Jacqgh777 wrote: »
    @ladipoet - this was very educating. Thanks so much. I did the keto semi this week. Hitting it full
    Force next week. Nice to know this information on what sweeteners are safe and unsafe for Keto.

No problem @Jacqgh777. You are welcome!
  • planner4747
    planner4747 Posts: 6 Member
    if you are looking for a great coffee take a look at coffee fools web site. http://www.coffeefool.com/ they have a 10% off on a Friday order. great coffee. I saw that u-tube video and it really open my eyes on the atkins bars. I stop loosing weight after I started eating them and that was in the late 80's or early 90's. they killed there own diet by putting those things on the market.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Be careful with the Xylitol-deadly to dogs!
  • Jacqgh777
    fatchimom wrote: »
    Be careful with the Xylitol-deadly to dogs!

Didn’t know that! I’m using Swerve now which
    is erythritol, a sugar alcohol, that’s typically not counted in your net net carbs
  • Jacqgh777
    @planner4747 thank you! Yes I watched the video too. An eye opener
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    @ladipoet - Thank you for sharing this video. Very enlightening!
  • ladipoet
    bametels wrote: »
    @ladipoet - Thank you for sharing this video. Very enlightening!

No problem @bametels! You're welcome.