Whole 30 with keto?

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
Has anyone tried whole 30 with keto? seen any great benefits. I appreciate the very clear science behind why keto works, I'm not aware of anything as such for whole 30 so get the impression that it's a trend but wonder if anyone else has experience/knowledge.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My doctor is doing so I will follow to learn more about it.
  • solska
    Options
    My doctor is doing so I will follow to learn more about it.

Thanks! I just checked the list and it says no dairy products and not even stevia. That would be the hardest part I think.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Whole 30 has a lot of limitations but people have succeeded doing keto and whole 3 together. Whole 30 is more of an opportunity to learn what bothers you, you eliminate all the known foods that cause inflammation and slowly reintroduce after 30 days.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    wellll it just so happens...........https://forum.whole30.com/topic/23540-ketwhole30/

B)
  • solska
    Options
    Thank you:)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    It was my understanding that the Whole 30 is more of an elimination diet. After the 30 days you start adding things back into your diet and see if you have any reactions. I think keto and whole 30 would go together easily.
  • solska
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    It was my understanding that the Whole 30 is more of an elimination diet. After the 30 days you start adding things back into your diet and see if you have any reactions. I think keto and whole 30 would go together easily.

Looks like they would. I'm not sure I want to limit myself to just ghee though and no other dairy. And no sweeteners. It can be done but I don't wish to do it unless i'm convinced physiologically it has supreme benefits. The elimination point is true.
  • kirkor
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    I'm not sure I want to limit myself to just ghee though and no other dairy. And no sweeteners. It can be done but I don't wish to do it unless i'm convinced physiologically it has supreme benefits.

http://whole9life.com/2013/03/the-dairy-manifesto/

Worth a shot for only 30 days + ~2 weeks of reintros.

• catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dr Eric Westman compared artificial sweeteners to "methadone" (which is a somewhat less addictive opioid used to step people down from heroin addiction). Yeah, they're not very good for you, but they are a useful step to help people get over the sugar addiction. If you still feel that you "need" that intense sweet (even fake), you are still psychologically addicted, therefore not 100% over sugar addiction.

the whole point of giving up all of the listed items is that many people are not aware of how food affects them. If you always have dairy/wheat/sugar in your diet, you may have a sensitivity to one or more of these things, and just not realize that. It is easy to blame problems on other things, but completely eliminating, and then bringing items back slowly and only one at a time, you can really see how each affects you. I've seen people do this for a month and say they felt so great after they break sugar/carb addiction, then re-introduced some food (usually sugar or grain, but sometimes dairy), and suddenly felt terrible, and once they can recognize that effect, decided they don't even want it anymore.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I know it's ridiculous but I just mentally can't get to the point where I can go dairy free...even for 30 days. I love hwc and cheese and I feel my meals would be joyless without it. I really wish my husband would try a Whole 30 to see if he'd see benefits and if he did I would probably force myself along for moral support. He's got fatty liver and arthritis...he feels bad all the time but won't give up his junk food. :(
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I know it's ridiculous but I just mentally can't get to the point where I can go dairy free...even for 30 days. I love hwc and cheese and I feel my meals would be joyless without it. I really wish my husband would try a Whole 30 to see if he'd see benefits and if he did I would probably force myself along for moral support. He's got fatty liver and arthritis...he feels bad all the time but won't give up his junk food. :(

I did it twice (elimination diets to see if it helped Sjogren's) and joyless is the exact word for the experience for me. I don't like coconut milk/cream or almond milk either. It was so blah. I got depressed. :lol:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I did it twice (elimination diets to see if it helped Sjogren's) and joyless is the exact word for the experience for me. I don't like coconut milk/cream or almond milk either. It was so blah. I got depressed. :lol:

I went dairy free for about a year while recovering from celiac disease. I really missed cheese. So. Much.

I did learn to like coconut cream though. LOl
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    My dad asked me the other day if I it was his imagination or if I have become less sniffly since I stopped putting milk in my coffee. I realised he was right but that means going dairy free would probably be really good for me. But, but, but, I don't wanna!!! :bawling:
  • kirkor
    Options
    For those contemplating going dairy free, and how you would miss it, think about the things people say about getting rid of sugar.