Feb 12 Weekly Challenge: Overcoming the Obstacles

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited February 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Sharing Your Wisdom
Challenge: Overcoming the Obstacles

It’s often said because it’s true: “If weight loss were easy, we’d all be at a healthy weight”. Losing weight and becoming a healthier, fitter person takes time, patience, and perseverance. And even when we’ve got these qualities, things never quite go according to plan. We are going to face some obstacles.

This week, let’s talk about these obstacles. What have been your biggest challenges? Time, schedules, motivation, friends and family members, and even our own internal “stuff” are just some of the potential hurdles we may need to overcome to achieve our goals. What have been your impediments and how have you handled them? Please share with the group.

And if you’re struggling with an obstacle and need a new perspective or some suggestions, we are here for that too!

This Week’s Challenge: Whether it’s one obstacle or several, please tell us what you’ve faced, what you’ve learned, and how you’ve overcome these challenges. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

............................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

How to Beat 12 Common Obstacles to Losing Weight
https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/blog/how-to-overcome-the-12-most-common-weight-loss-obstacles

............................................................................................................................................

Replies

• HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think my main obstacle is when I splurge on something, sometimes it's all downhill from there. Usually, I'm pretty good about not splurging but if the DH is working late sometimes I just go crazy. For example, he worked late Saturday night so I bought myself a pint of ice cream on my way home from the gym and ate the whole thing and an hour or two later made myself cinnamon sugar toast because it popped into my mind that I hadn't had it in years. So I guess that my obstacle is giving into random cravings. I know a way to stop the cravings, or at least bypass them. I learned it when I quit smoking. Drink ice cold water whenever you have a craving. I just keep forgetting. I think I need to make that a priority from now on! And the DH is working late again tonight so we'll see how it works. Lol

Thank you for posting this! I just had an AH HA moment! Lol.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I think my main obstacle is when I splurge on something, sometimes it's all downhill from there. Usually, I'm pretty good about not splurging but if the DH is working late sometimes I just go crazy. For example, he worked late Saturday night so I bought myself a pint of ice cream on my way home from the gym and ate the whole thing and an hour or two later made myself cinnamon sugar toast because it popped into my mind that I hadn't had it in years. So I guess that my obstacle is giving into random cravings. I know a way to stop the cravings, or at least bypass them. I learned it when I quit smoking. Drink ice cold water whenever you have a craving. I just keep forgetting. I think I need to make that a priority from now on! And the DH is working late again tonight so we'll see how it works. Lol

Sounds like you found your focus for this week, @HGSmith0920. Drinking water before giving into cravings is a good strategy.

For me, I’ve learned that some cravings can be kept at bay and some cannot and need to be kept out of the house. By regularly having fruits, I can have candies and ice cream in the house, things that my husband wants to have it on hand. I don’t get cravings for those. But if I brought an entire Boston cream pie into the house, well let’s just say it would not end well. I know this about myself. So I don’t bring that yummy dessert into my home. I can have an occasional piece at a restaurant or something and really enjoy it without the cravings returning. But the whole cake in my house? Not happening.

I guess what I’m learned is that it’s not necessary to overcome every obstacle. Sometimes it’s just better to move the obstacle out of the way.

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    As many times as I’ve tried to convince myself that it’s OK to have chips or ice cream in the house...that’s how many times I’ve proven myself wrong, so I quit buying them. My husband bought them though, and I had no problem resisting until the late night hours. Then, look out! One bowl or handful led to another. He recently decided to eat better so hasn’t bought any junk food for a couple of weeks so it’s been easier to grab a banana or a few almonds instead. I made 1 oz bags of pretzels in snack bags to grab when the crunchy salty craving raises its ugly head. I’m never really hungry, but just want something then. I love the idea of having a glass of ice cold water when the craving hits, too. I’ll try that one.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    My food obstacle is much like @nebslp . Late night hours...ice cream or chips. Usually an hour before bedtime. Last night I switched it up and had 1/2 c. Low Fat Cottage Cheese with 1 c. blueberries. It took the nausea away (I take medications in the evening that make me kind of sick) and I think it had to be healthier than Tin Roof Sundae ice cream!

Another obstacle I have is getting exercise. I have never been athletic. I've never been a runner or big in sports or working out. Now that I'm overweight, I certainly don't find it easier to get up off the couch to move it. So, I struggle big time with this. I have two bad knees, so that doesn't help either.

I have many obstacles that are listed in the article above, but I will start with the two above, because I think they are my biggest battles right now.

To overcome these obstacles, I will:
    1. Stop making excuses. Stop procrastinating. I'm only hurting myself.
    2. Plan a healthy evening snack to eat with my evening medications.
    3. Research exercises that do not jar my knees. YouTube videos. Wii games. Gym stationary bicycle.
    4. Schedule a specific time for exercise. Write it as an appointment on my work/personal calendar. I will discuss this with husband tonight to find a time that won't disrupt family dinner.

This one made me really think about what my biggest obstacles are and what I need to do about them. Thank you!

Also, it's Move It, Monday! I plan to take a walk around our building 5 minutes every hour today. I'm using the app Miracle Timer today to remind me! :smile:

Brand new week, brand new start!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I had a terrific weekend with friends and family but poor planing led to too much overeating. Plus I have not slept well and that triggers my anxieties. No exercise and no control of my portions plus I am noticing I feel a lot of pressure during the week so weekend comes, I am a mess. I need to focus and organize better.

Obstacles: Lack of sleep, anxiety and pressure.

Plan: Get better organized, sleep, take a day to rest from the exercise, healthy path routine and do something fun. I missed this Monday again but I need to rest so that is what I will do.

Have a great week everyone.
  • charlouiselb
    charlouiselb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also have sugar cravings. Especially this week because I am hosting a valentines tea with lots of delicious homemade desserts. I have already sampled a bit of the strawberry cake & buttercream icing I made—fastest 450 calories I ever ate! I am trying to log it before eating it. So weighing, inputting into MFP, then check my macros and seeing how to manipulate the portion so I can have a taste without throwing my whole day off track. It helps a bit.

I also am eating 200g zero fat fage greekuogurt with pumpkinseeds, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and 30 semi-sweet choc chips. Sometimes I add 10g walnuts or almonds. It feels like creamy ice cream—a treat— but it’s actually really high in protein & the cocoa piwder is low/no fat but gets me my cocoa fix.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking is the biggest obstacle for me too. I am good all day but now that I am sleeping on the couch (firmer than my bed and I am having neck and shoulder issues) I wake up to use the bathroom and grab something to eat mindlessly. I do not need to eat I just want a treat. Chips and ice cream are the worst!

My goal for the week is NOTHING goes in my mouth after 8 pm. I use to be able to not eat after 8 pm but I am really struggling with this. I have gained a few pounds from this unhealthy practice. I am also going to try the ice cold glass of water.

This challenge is really going to help me. Thank you.
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I need to figure out why, when I'm home alone and my bf works night shifts, I over do it. I used to do it when I was younger and binge when my parents were sleeping sneaking food. I don't need to hide that I overindulged from my bf but sometimes I still do. It's like it's easier to slip into teenage me sometimes.

I'm feeling pretty crappy today so I don't have the answer but it's definitely a pattern that pops up randomly over the years. Maybe tomorrow I'll have some insight lol.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

Sounds like you found your focus for this week, @HGSmith0920. Drinking water before giving into cravings is a good strategy.

For me, I’ve learned that some cravings can be kept at bay and some cannot and need to be kept out of the house. By regularly having fruits, I can have candies and ice cream in the house, things that my husband wants to have it on hand. I don’t get cravings for those. But if I brought an entire Boston cream pie into the house, well let’s just say it would not end well. I know this about myself. So I don’t bring that yummy dessert into my home. I can have an occasional piece at a restaurant or something and really enjoy it without the cravings returning. But the whole cake in my house? Not happening.

I guess what I’m learned is that it’s not necessary to overcome every obstacle. Sometimes it’s just better to move the obstacle out of the way.

I buy ice cream for my husband a lot. He doesn't necessarily ask me to but I like to surprise him with it. So I think that it might be time to take a bit of a break from it. I usually buy a bag of lightly salted popcorn when I go shopping and divvy it up into two cup baggies. It's something like 40 calories a baggie. Lol.

I'm actually drinking a lot of my water right now. The DH is working late tonight and those are the nights that I usually binge eat. I even thought about stopping for something sweet when I was on my way home earlier but I passed right on by. I got home and had a salad with some leftover chicken and was looking at the prices for "healthy" ice cream at my grocery store and nothing was on sale so that's good. I won't be buying that anytime soon. Lol.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @Aprilfoolbride going to sleep early works for me too, keeping me away from the kitchen. Brushing my teeth, and grabbing the broom and dust pan when I feel anxious and what to eat the entire pantry. Great idea about the lists! Thanks for sharing.

@PinkyPan1 sorry about your back and neck. Hope you feel better soon.

@Zulu87 hope you are feeling better today.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @charlouiselb looks fantastic! Glad you managed to burn calorie goal. Seem to me you've got this under control. Fitbit and joining challenges will keep you on the right track! I love my fitbit for just that! Hooray!
  • themedalist
    edited February 2018
    Options
    **Trigger warning: tea cakes & desserts**

Well, we had the tea & there was so much high calorie food!! I did pretty well though. Walked until I had burned my calorie goal. Managed to enjoy everything but not go over on calories. Lean eating today to offset a bit.

I’m looking at what I’ve had over 48 hours and averaging it out. My body won’t react to all the goodies & immediately put on 5 lbs if I bookend with days of high protein, healthy fats & lots of vegetables. It will only be a blip in the radar.

Other challenges: I’m often cold, so I snuggle up on the couch or lean on the toasty kitchen radiator and stop moving. I need to be warming my body through movement, not sitting around. So I’ve got my fitbit, joined some challenges & am trying to get moving. 8o4szzay2rec.jpeg

Wow! @charlouiselb, this spread looks just beautiful! I bet it tasted just as good. Good job working it into your eating plan over several days! You have a great attitude!

And of course, I love hearing you got a Fitbit and are moving more. Prolonged sitting is horrible for our health and we hardly burn any calories sitting in a chair. Sit Less Boot Camp starts May 1st right here on the Challenge a Day group! Three weeks of daily challenges that will have us up and moving. I hope you and everyone else will join us! Here’s the link for more information: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sit-less-boot-camp.html

And @MmamabearR, we’ll also be working on sitting less at work during Sit Less Boot Camp.

• themedalist
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My biggest obstacle was that I really don’t like to cook. I’m now an empty nestor, but even when my daughter was growing up I was not big on cooking. I want to eat when I’m hungry and not 45 minutes later. It took me a long time to put aside the idea that healthy eating means cooking. It doesn’t. I’m very happy to have a good quality frozen burrito, top it with salsa, mock sour cream (plain Greek yogurt) and then several cups of spring mix drizzled with lime juice. Dinner in a bowl!

When I do cook, it’s usually a stew or curry that can be portioned out into 2 cup glass containers and then frozen until I have it over rice. Spending 30 minutes making something that I’ll have 4 or 5 servings from works out to about 7 minutes per serving. That I can do. With a salad, I’m good!

I also love my panini maker. Sandwiches are more interesting when they are grilled and it also makes great quesadillas.
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hurdles... Though I've managed to negotiate the day to day ones using planning, recording, making lists etc., the ones that I struggle with are exercising despite physical limitations and life crisis (car accidents, viruses, cancer) which result in the necessity to take a break. Now when the scale goes down, at some point I get incredibly paranoid about what's about to come up. This is something I'm struggling with but will continue to work on.
    Thanks
  • themedalist
    Options
    drea2011 wrote: »
    My biggest obstacle was hindering myself and my fitness journey by constantly starting diets/lifestyle changes and constantly cooking the same foods. This time I have really invested in meal prepping. I cook for the week and grab and go all week long.

Cooking is so much fun! I love being able to cook new fun dishes!

@drea2011, it sounds like cooking has become a real asset to you in losing weight. That is terrific! I think I need to follow your lead and others and work on expanding my small collection of quick, easy meals. Dinner doesn’t have to take 45 minutes to prepare unless you want it to. And there’s something very satisfying about making your own yummy, healthy foods.

Thanks for your enthusiasm!