Feb 12 Weekly Challenge: Overcoming the Obstacles

2»

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    Hurdles... Though I've managed to negotiate the day to day ones using planning, recording, making lists etc., the ones that I struggle with are exercising despite physical limitations and life crisis (car accidents, viruses, cancer) which result in the necessity to take a break. Now when the scale goes down, at some point I get incredibly paranoid about what's about to come up. This is something I'm struggling with but will continue to work on.
    Thanks

A day at a time. You take it easy and good for you for planning, recording and making lists. A step in the right direction.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    Hurdles... Though I've managed to negotiate the day to day ones using planning, recording, making lists etc., the ones that I struggle with are exercising despite physical limitations and life crisis (car accidents, viruses, cancer) which result in the necessity to take a break. Now when the scale goes down, at some point I get incredibly paranoid about what's about to come up. This is something I'm struggling with but will continue to work on.
    Thanks

Good point, @bcTRAI. I understand this personally. Having cerebral palsy, I don’t have the balance, coordination, or full range of abilities that other people have. We have to work with the body and health limitations that we have, and focus on what we can do. And sometimes that means taking a break from exercising when we need to.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    edited February 2018
    And @MmamabearR, we’ll also be working on sitting less at work during Sit Less Boot Camp.

This is awesome. I feel like I'm always finding just want I need here :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Love it!
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Absolutely! No more cheat days, I just find a way that I can make a healthier version!
    drea2011 wrote: »
    My biggest obstacle was hindering myself and my fitness journey by constantly starting diets/lifestyle changes and constantly cooking the same foods. This time I have really invested in meal prepping. I cook for the week and grab and go all week long.

Cooking is so much fun! I love being able to cook new fun dishes!

@drea2011, it sounds like cooking has become a real asset to you in losing weight. That is terrific! I think I need to follow your lead and others and work on expanding my small collection of quick, easy meals. Dinner doesn’t have to take 45 minutes to prepare unless you want it to. And there’s something very satisfying about making your own yummy, healthy foods.

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,337 Member
    I've been thinking about this challenge all week, and frankly my greatest obstacle was getting my mind right. Yes, I had trouble scheduling workouts in my busy schedule, but I manage to do it now. True, my husband didn't jump in to support me on every diet/exercise plan attempt because he thought they were stupid, but he had a point - most of my diets and exercise plans were stupid and not sustainable.

I think I was always trying to lose weight and get down to a low # on the scale. When, I actually started trying to improve my health rather than my figure, I got both. I regret sitting on my backside throughout my 30s and 40s, but I'm so glad I got my mind right in my 50s. My busyness used to be an excuse for not exercising or eating right. Now, it is part of my exercising and eating right.
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    My biggest hurdle I have found is stuffing myself with rubbish as soon as I get in the door after work... I have overcome that this week by making my lunch the evening before and leaving an apple or pear on worktop ready for me, have enjoyed reading your hurdles! Thank you Denise and everyone!
  • bettyeveline
    bettyeveline Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone, I am determined to lose 25 lbs. My obstacle has been limited walking because of arthritic knees; just had left knee replaced almost 6 weeks ago. I have not een consistent....I tried ketogenic , Ideal Protein, but have been struggling with discipline. ......Glad to meet you all. Blessings to all.
  • themedalist
    77tes wrote: »

I think I was always trying to lose weight and get down to a low # on the scale. When, I actually started trying to improve my health rather than my figure, I got both. I regret sitting on my backside throughout my 30s and 40s, but I'm so glad I got my mind right in my 50s. My busyness used to be an excuse for not exercising or eating right. Now, it is part of my exercising and eating right.

Wise words, @77tes. The shift in mindset from a focus on pounds lost to health is huge.

• themedalist
    My biggest hurdle I have found is stuffing myself with rubbish as soon as I get in the door after work... I have overcome that this week by making my lunch the evening before and leaving an apple or pear on worktop ready for me, have enjoyed reading your hurdles! Thank you Denise and everyone!

@fatbambi2017, it sounds like you’ve found some good strategies to mitigate the bad habit of eating rubbish when you get home from work and are famished. Good for you!
  • themedalist
    Hi everyone, I am determined to lose 25 lbs. My obstacle has been limited walking because of arthritic knees; just had left knee replaced almost 6 weeks ago. I have not een consistent....I tried ketogenic , Ideal Protein, but have been struggling with discipline. ......Glad to meet you all. Blessings to all.

Welcome to our group, @bettyeveline! It is hard to walk with arthritis and I’m glad you have a new knee. I think finding an eating style that works for you is key. Having foods you enjoy makes it much more sustainable. You may find that your motivation comes after you’ve made some changes to your diet and exercise routine and not before. Losing a few initial pounds can be a big motivator to continuing on. Sometimes those first few actions are taken in faith that they will lead to the weight loss that we want.

I’m glad that you’ve joined us!