How to work out Net Carbs

jotti101
jotti101 Posts: 41 Member
Hi,

I am having a bit of trouble trying to work out the Net Carbs?
Can any one advise?

Replies

• CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    edited February 2018
    First thing's first, take a look at this link and setup MFP as follows Read: Configuring MFP.
    This tool is a pretty simple script that will calculate your net carbs for you. It simply subtracts fiber from carbohydrates in your diary and adds a pie chart showing % calorie intake distribution per macronutrient. Takes most of the guessing out of it. You'll also know which foods were added to the database by poor mathematicians more obviously (carbs should never be higher than fiber).

Net Carbs = Total Carbohydrate Intake - Sugar Alcohols/2 (Erythritol, Sorbitol, Glycerin, etc.) - Fiber.

You can always subtract fiber (other MFP'rs keep me honest here). I believe for sugar alcohols you're supposed to only count 50% of them a carbs unless the only sugar alcohol ingredient is erythritol, then you subtract 100% of them.

Example in counting net carbs:
    Broccoli, raw - 2oz
    Serving = 19 calories, 4g carbs, 1g fiber, 1g sugar, 2g protein

Net Carbs = 4g Total Carb Intake - 1g Fiber = 3g Net Carbs

If you had any sugar alcohols, erythritol excluded, you would effectively want to take the total grams of sugar alcohols, divide by 2 and that would be the total amount you would subtract from your total carb intake.
    [example:
    18g total carbs, 14g sugar alcohols, 1g fiber

Net Carbs = 18g total carbs - 14g/2 sugar alcohols - 1g fiber
    Net Carbs = 18g total carbs - 7g sugar alcohols - 1g fiber
    Net Carbs = 10g]