Coffee as a drink not a meal

Options
2»

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    When I quit sweetening, I found my coffee just sucked! I shopped around for better coffee and kind of enjoyed always trying different kinds. Started grinding my beans fresh and using a French press instead of my Keurig. Sometimes I added vanilla or other extracts or a tiny bit of butter or coconut oil or some half n half for their flavor.

I cannot emphasize what Sunny said enough. My husband's family owns coffee shops and roast their own beans and I had no idea what real, good, honest coffee tastes like until I married into that family over 10 years ago. ALL THAT WASTED TIME!

The very best thing you can do is ensure you have quality beans, that are roasted properly, stored properly, and ground for your type of coffee making practices. I've never liked coffee with much in it, but even now, if I have coffee that's cheep, burned, or old I'll reach for some kind of creamer, or sweeter to get rid of the crap coffee taste.

Omg I'm so jealous of you! LOL. I love coffee and coffee shops. My in laws build race car engines and do mammograms...I'd rather have fresh roasted coffee! LOL
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    i second the cinnamon or try flavored coffee beans
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes add about a teaspoon of vanilla extract to my half and half carton - it doesn't make it more sweet, but it does give it an additional flavor depth that I enjoy in my coffee.

Also, I sometimes put ground cinnamon in my coffee grounds when brewing to make cinnamon flavored coffee...so very yum, if you like cinnamon!!!
  • wickywoo0284
    wickywoo0284 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to use the Don Francisco's Vanilla Nut or or Hawaiian Hazelnut coffee grounds, add a dash of cinnamon, 1/16 tsp of Terrasoul Superfoods Gourmet Madagascar Vanilla Powder, a dash of sea salt and let that brew. Then I use 1.5 Tbsp of heavy cream, a squeeze of liquid stevia, and have been working up to a half scoop of MCT oil powder. I like sweet coffee, and I LOVED coffeemate sugarfree hazelnut creamer, but we're trying to avoid the bad artificial sweeteners. While still not exactly on point to my old days of coffee, this gets close. The more I go without sugar and carbs the sweeter things become so I have adapted to this recipe well and may lose some of the cream and stevia over time. I don't like to cook but I really like coffee! Experiment! It's fun!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mmm. I start with good quality flavoured beans, add cinnamon + a pinch of salt while brewing, and serve with a splash of half & half. I do like a few drops of vanilla or hazelnut stevia, but add sparingly as less is more when it comes to that stuff.

I usually drink 2 large mugs of coffee each day, it ends up being like 60 cals and 3 carbs from the cream (H&H). I'm okay with that because it's delicious and I love it ♡
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My current morning coffee is just 8 O’Clock’s dark italian espresso (I grind my own beans, and just make in a regular Bunn coffee maker) with 5g of undutched cocoa and a half tsp. of erythritol.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This morning is my first time trying coffee without HWC and only 1 Splenda packet. I used to use 2 packets and 1-2 T. HWC. I still like the sweet. Maybe after drinking it this way for awhile I'll see what it's like without the Splenda.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Historically I have not been a coffee drinker. Once I changed my WOE for better health coffee and a lots of coffee from morning to night is now the norm. Since I no longer do sugar or any form of sweetener or processed creamers after my first 'loaded' cup of the day it will just regular coffee with HWC or half and half. Since I eat mainly at McDonald's I add their free half and half.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    I cut out sugar from my coffee long before I went low-carb...but I have to have cream. Coffee is a creamy drink to me, so I don't have any desire to go black! I add a small splash of hwc or half & half. The 1g carbs is worth the creamy factor.
    Agree .....cutting out all added sweeteners will totally transform your tastebuds after a while

• dynosaur
    dynosaur Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    I cut out sugar from my coffee long before I went low-carb...but I have to have cream. Coffee is a creamy drink to me, so I don't have any desire to go black! I add a small splash of hwc or half & half. The 1g carbs is worth the creamy factor.

i did the same. i just do coffee with heavy cream now. sometimes i drink black now too. still getting used to it!

if i feel like something a bit sweeter like a treat, i add cinnamon or vanilla essence and it tricks my tastebuds into thinking its sweet
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon and sucralose, but am working on eliminating all additives and just drink it black. It will probably be another month or 2 before I get there.

I found that I have to add cream if it is not good coffee, but since I buy quality coffee fresh from the roaster, it tastes good without having to add cream.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Since I'm dairy free I just buy NutPods and use it in my coffee. It's almond and coconut milk and some unsweetened flavoring. I love their hazelnut. It's especially good with Keto Chocolate Collagen :)

As with everything, it takes awhile for your taste buds to adjust - give it time and soon you'll be enjoying it again!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have a "bottomless pot" of decaf going all day long. Most of the time it is my breakfast calories with half and half and sometimes stevia. Sometimes it is also my lunch. Depends on the day. If there is any left over after dinner, I might have heat up a cup for dessert. Iced in the summer time.
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I consider myself lucky to have never felt the need for sweetener in coffee. But I do like creamy coffee so my go to brew for a while now is about half the milk I used to have replaced by thickened cream. I allow myself no more than 3 per day and accept that they are one of my main sources of carb. Just today I bought the ingredients to try a BPC, am interested to check that out.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    I consider myself lucky to have never felt the need for sweetener in coffee. But I do like creamy coffee so my go to brew for a while now is about half the milk I used to have replaced by thickened cream. I allow myself no more than 3 per day and accept that they are one of my main sources of carb. Just today I bought the ingredients to try a BPC, am interested to check that out.

The really great thing about having some coconut oil on hand is that when you don't have your regular creamer around...there is always coconut oil to make BPC. That's about the only time I have BPC anymore..when I was too busy, tired, forgetful to get to the store. :) It serves me quite well in that case.

On a side note, how is the off the grid cabin coming along? I think that was you @Fyreside who was building one. Yes?
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    On a side note, how is the off the grid cabin coming along? I think that was you @Fyreside who was building one. Yes?

It's going great thanks. Not as much vertical progress as I would like, but the site prep is all but done and my pile of locally sourced and recycled lumber is on target. I've diverted funds and time over the last couple of months into renovating a light truck that will be invaluable for moving the last heavy lumber to the site.

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Since I'm dairy free I just buy NutPods and use it in my coffee. It's almond and coconut milk and some unsweetened flavoring. I love their hazelnut. It's especially good with Keto Chocolate Collagen :)

As with everything, it takes awhile for your taste buds to adjust - give it time and soon you'll be enjoying it again!

Nutpods are great.

If its available in your area try Califia Farms (https://www.califiafarms.com/) Better Half. Their unsweetened versions are tasty and 0 carb if I remember correctly and I want to say the other versions don't have a really high carb count. Their unsweetened toasted coconut almond milk is one of the few that tastes good all on its own.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Xerogs wrote: »
    carlsoda wrote: »

Nutpods are great.

If its available in your area try Califia Farms (https://www.califiafarms.com/) Better Half. Their unsweetened versions are tasty and 0 carb if I remember correctly and I want to say the other versions don't have a really high carb count. Their unsweetened toasted coconut almond milk is one of the few that tastes good all on its own.

Oh I will look for this - NutPods are EXPENSIVE!! :)