Bone Broth

Jacqgh777
Jacqgh777 Posts: 150 Member
edited February 2018 in Social Groups
Is this supposed to be used as a snack, meal replacement or for fasting?

Replies

• Jacqgh777
    edited February 2018
    Or all of the above?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I don't know that I've seen it done as a meal replacement, though lots of folks love it salted with butter... I've seen it used as or with protein powder, in place of broth with sodium for electrolytes, and just because someone wanted the taste...like instead of coffee...

I think this is one of those times where it is very much whatever you like.

Most people use it daily, and away from a meal at least once, because the natural collagen helps restore cartilage and such, but only when not digest with food... (I think less than 5 grams of protein to get it this way...)
  • Jacqgh777
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't know that I've seen it done as a meal replacement, though lots of folks love it salted with butter... I've seen it used as or with protein powder, in place of broth with sodium for electrolytes, and just because someone wanted the taste...like instead of coffee...

I think this is one of those times where it is very much whatever you like.

Most people use it daily, and away from a meal at least once, because the natural collagen helps restore cartilage and such, but only when not digest with food... (I think less than 5 grams of protein to get it this way...)

Thank you kindly. I also read that it helps
    For various other reasons which will help me greatly. Helps improve gut health as well. Just didn’t know If it was used as a replacement

Here is a good link.

https://www.kettleandfire.com/pages/bone-broth-benefits

• hyperinchrist
    hyperinchrist Posts: 27 Member
    I’ve started adding daily for health like EDS. I need the collagen to hold me together.

I’ll use for all different ways. I put garlic and ginger in mine with pink sea salt.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Do you make it? Buy it? I found a quart sized container in the health aisle but ran in the opposite direction when I saw it was $7. I'd love to try it but I'm a little weirded about boiling bones
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Do you make it? Buy it? I found a quart sized container in the health aisle but ran in the opposite direction when I saw it was $7. I'd love to try it but I'm a little weirded about boiling bones

I'd probably be weirded out by boiling bones too if it were not something that has been common in my family for generations. I'm 64 and was raised seeing both my Mom and Grandma boil chicken or turkey carcasses for soup broth so I have always done it too.

Everything old becomes new again. A few years ago when all my neighbors were tearing out all their white kitchen cabinets for the newest "trend" in cabinetry, I said I'd just wait for white to come back. It's back. :)
  • Jacqgh777

@Shannonigans84 - I found this product. I don’t think I added enough. I will put ghee in it with salt and garlic next time. I will post a pic for you. Got it on Amazon. I have no problems boiling bones. I may try to make it over the weekend.
  • Jacqgh777
    I’ve started adding daily for health like EDS. I need the collagen to hold me together.

I’ll use for all different ways. I put garlic and ginger in mine with pink sea salt.

@hyperinchrist - Thank you! Do you make it? I will season mine a little more next time. I have autoimmune issues and read it’s also great for anti-inflammatory.

• Jacqgh777
    kpk54 wrote: »

I'd probably be weirded out by boiling bones too if it were not something that has been common in my family for generations. I'm 64 and was raised seeing both my Mom and Grandma boil chicken or turkey carcasses for soup broth so I have always done it too.

Everything old becomes new again. A few years ago when all my neighbors were tearing out all their white kitchen cabinets for the newest "trend" in cabinetry, I said I'd just wait for white to come back. It's back. :)

@kpk54 - ditto! I grew up around it too and boil my own for broths - soups etc. I have never done a bone broth like this but think I’m gonna try it.