Anyone on Ideal Protein diet?

Options
Oppaloopa
Oppaloopa Posts: 49 Member
Is anyone on the Ideal Protein diet or using alternative products?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I stick with straight foods from the grocery and watch macros and calories. I do like to eat a number of things that don't really qualify as "whole foods" like canned fish because they are easy and I like them.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Here's an old thread from MFP that I found while doing a Google search. I'm posting it because there are folks on the thread who are actually using it and it may give you some insight.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/566201/ideal-protein-someone-knows-something-about-that

I've not tried IP or any other type of commercial diet like Medifast or even anything like nutrisystems. I'm basically Low Carb CICO so generally monitor my intake versus my output. I pretty much eat foods I can find in the grocery store: fish, meat, vegetables, eggs, dairy, some added fats, occasional fruit, nuts, seeds.

If you are severely overweight, a rapid weight loss plan such as IP that is medically supervised may be helpful/necessary.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I'd see about getting samples before diving in. Over a year ago, I tried HMR (similar concept), and the food was so gross I couldn't eat any of the pre-packaged meals. I tried drowning them in hot sauce, topping them with cilantro and other herbs, garlic, spices... nothing helped. In fact, I still have all that junk sitting in a cabinet, which is now all expired Waste of a couple hundred $$. I imagine most of the meal replacement programs are similar in quality.

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    PSMF is not sustainable & really is only a tool for kcal cycling (create a huge deficit 1-2 days/week, eat around maintenance/slight deficit 5-6 days). I would stick to real food rather than some gimmicky overpriced supplements. This diet is rough (nothing but chicken breast, tuna, lettuce, fat free/low carb yogurt, etc.).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost my weight, then of course transitioned into higher fat and a few more healthy carbs and a bit more protein for maintenance. Message me if you like @Oppaloopa :)
  • Jessica12877
    Jessica12877 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do a modified version. Each day I eat two ideal protein packets, and have two low carb meals. This has been a really good method for me. I lost lots of weight on ideal protein in the past and gained it all back. I find the traditional method to be waaaayyy too low in calories and not easy to convert to a lifestyle change. I really do like the food though. My favorites are the vanilla crispy square, and the nacho cheese dorados.
  • Breezie68
    Breezie68 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while. Lost 85 lbs, and then gained it all back when I went off.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    My SIL tried this over the summer and lasted about 2 weeks. She was miserable and it seemed she couldn't eat anything. I decided I'd much rather stick to my LCHF diet because I can find something to eat anywhere.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've not tried it personally, but have a few friends that did. They had great success, but like most other "diets", re-gained everything back the minute they tried to go back to their regular eating habits because they didn't learn anything.... Its a great choice if you are okay with having artificial meal replacements forever.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't gain it back and several of my friends that did it and lost almost 100 lbs also haven't gained it back BUT they didn't go back to their old higher carb way of eating, they are all low carbing still after 5 years and just followed the increase in calories by upping fats and only bringing up carbs to a level they can still maintain on. Also the last phases of the diet get you off easy packets and teach you more about low carb/higher fat healthy foods. The people I've seen regain had all upped their carb levels past a maintenance level ( for them) and resumed old habits.