how much time?

Options
I've been doing the keto thing for just about 6 weeks now. I decided to give it a try after struggling to lose weight on a typical low cal diet. I love all carbs, so I'm sure that I was still eating more than I should, even when on low cal. I decided to give keto a try to see if removing carbs would help, hoping to eventually transition to lower carb/low cal diet as a long term goal.

Anyway, I have about 60-70 lbs to lose. I am counting calories, macros, staying under 20-25 net carbs, getting all of my water, sleep, etc. I have the keto test strips and have been in ketosis each time I have checked. I lost 8 lbs the first 2 weeks, but nothing for the last 4 weeks. I'm willing to wait this out, just wondering how much time it might take to see some results? Or any other suggestions of what might help?

I did start adding exercise last week, hoping that might help as well.

Replies

• hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different... It took me nearly two months of doing it before the scale started to budge... I didn't even get the big water weight drop in the beginning like most people seem to experience.

If you enjoy the lifestyle, then just keep with it. The changes will come with time and persistence.
  • YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One thing I like about eating this way is that the fat is tastier and I feel more satisfied. I've been on it the same amount of time and have lost 10 pounds and it has been up and down for the last 2 weeks but I'm pretty happy with the foods I eat and I'm not addicted to sugar.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you started an exercise program it could cause weight loss to slow for a while (water retention for muscle recovery).

Otherwise you may want to weigh your foods to make sure you are eating what you think you are eating. Just to double check. If it turns out that you are definitely in a modest calorie deficit, then I think waiting it out is the best thing to do. Eventually the weight will go. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    After weight loss, I switched to keto for hunger/craving control. If you're not weighing and measuring your food, I'll suggest you give it a try. Fatty keto portions are tiny compared to just low carb eating IMO. I could EASILY gain weight eating keto. Very easily. The food is tasty and it is loaded with calories for the most part.

In regards to "how much time" for weight loss: I have no weight loss keto experience. I lost 63 pounds in 53 weeks averaging about 128 carbs per day. Patience and determination.

You could look at your 6 week weight loss as 1.5 pounds per week which is excellent. 8 pounds, 6 weeks. Kudos. The "keto miracle" for me (which is why I now eat very LCHF) is hunger suppression. I ate <20 for 52 weeks and have been eating 50 or less for about 14 months. Good luck!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance you’re adding too much fat?
    Very common issue.
    https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/2016/03/29/can-i-say-it-again-dont-force-the-fat/
  • kmeredith82
    kmeredith82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I will double check amounts and make sure I'm not miscalculating.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    thanks for asking this. bumping!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I will double check amounts and make sure I'm not miscalculating.

Most of the calculators set you too high.
    I recommend this one.
    https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/