High Carb Days on Keto?

Options
breefoshee
breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
Hi Everyone,
Sorry if this is a subject that's been talked about a bunch. I was wondering if some of you do high carb days and how that works for you? I know that many Keto-ers are all about staying Keto forever, but in my case its just not a long-term reality. I travel to different countries and eat at peoples houses where I don't want to deny food-- especially in places where people are giving me the best they have and it's just rice and beans. And I'm not going to say I'll never eat a cupcake again.. cause I totally will.

Do any of you do a high carb day every two weeks or so? And how does that work for you? I've been on keto for 1 month, and I had 1 high carb day 2 weeks ago and noticed a huge whoosh of weight loss a couple days after. After that I stayed really strict on plan and haven't lost anything since. I'm wondering if I should do a high carb day just to see if that "whoosh" happens again. Thoughts?

Replies

• YogaPantsUser
    YogaPantsUser Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    IMO there isn't one way to do most anything. You do what you have to do for your lifestyle and, if that works for you, live it. Be happy! <3
  • breefoshee
    Options
    Yea definitely! I'm for people adjusting things to fit into their lifestyle. I'm just in a few FB groups and even reddit groups where talking about taking a highcarb day (Or cheating) is against the rules... and I just happened to be a "Let's talk this through" learner lol. So I like hearing how it's affected others... if it's triggered more off-plan days or if they are able to reign it in a little.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    CKD (cycled keto diet) is sometimes used, often by athletes.

I tend to do it but I shouldn't - I am keto for health reasons and my high carb day too easily turns into a high carb week or month. Darnnit. The fewer off plan days I have, the easier I stick to the plan. But that's just me.

If it works for you, and you are getting benefits from doing it, then I say do it. Do what works best for you! :)
  • breefoshee
    Options
    Thanks! Yea... I feel like it would work for my mental sanity to be able to say "I can totally have that thing.... just only on this day." I do think I'll have to learn to reign it in... from a cheat day to a cheat meal. On my one time off plan, I meant to just do a meal. But it turned into an all day affair.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for a few years and currently (last 14 months) have been eating about 50 total carbs per day. Every now and then, I have a higher carb meal such as at a friend's house or on vacation or at a party. It hasn't caused me a bit of a problem.

I do it for personal comfort. I'm not one to refuse to eat someone's homemade meatballs because they might include some bread crumbs or refuse soup because it has legumes or potatoes. It's a meal, not the rest of my life. Fortunately I have no food allergies or sensitivities that cause me to get physically ill if I eat something occasionally that's a little off plan.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I’m planning to do a couple of higher-carb days at the end of each month. I didn’t expect to like keto as much as I do, and I didn’t enjoy my first “cheat” as much as I thought I would, so although everything looks and smells amazing I’m not feeling pressed to go off more often.

Keto isn’t always the most flexible, life-friendly way of eating, and I think expecting to take breaks can help to prevent us from feeling frustrated or disappointed when we almost inevitable do it.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a day a week usually Saturday where I eat whatever I want. As long as you don't go nuts and binge or turn it into more than one day I think it is fine. I am losing at a great pace. I am very strict sun-fri. It works well. Balance is everything.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I’m planning to do a couple of higher-carb days at the end of each month. I didn’t expect to like keto as much as I do, and I didn’t enjoy my first “cheat” as much as I thought I would, so although everything looks and smells amazing I’m not feeling pressed to go off more often.

Keto isn’t always the most flexible, life-friendly way of eating, and I think expecting to take breaks can help to prevent us from feeling frustrated or disappointed when we almost inevitable do it.

It's not a bad "carrot on a stick" strategy for some. Perfect all week? Get something one evening. Back on track the next morning. You can schedule any social obligations around this.

IF. If you can do it without going off the rails and staying off. Some people can't do that.
    After being keto for 6 months, I was able to do it successfully. My new lifestyle was pretty much in stone by that point, and I was definitely fat-adapted. I still do this now that I'm just low-carb.
    This is best done as a "veteran," IMO. After you have enough experience and discipline under your belt.

Some can handle the deviation. Some can't. Nothing is 100% right for anyone, except that the goal is sustainability, and if that small detour here and there doesn't interfere with your loss, negatively impact your health (diabetes for example), or cause you to stumble, then it's fine.

IMO. YMMV. :wink:
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    does this replenish glycogen stores?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    does this replenish glycogen stores?

Yes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Was it in Volek's FASTER study where they noted that glycogen stores were not depleted after a few hours of exercise in fat-adapted athletes? I think glycogen levels were the same for low and high carb athletes. I can't remember... If so, there is no real need to carb up to replace glycogen. But carbing up because it is preference is completely valid. :)

ETA I found it. Muscle glycogen post exercise was the same.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0026049515003340

Results
    Peak fat oxidation was 2.3-fold higher in the LC group (1.54 ± 0.18 vs 0.67 ± 0.14 g/min; P = 0.000) and it occurred at a higher percentage of VO2max (70.3 ± 6.3 vs 54.9 ± 7.8%; P = 0.000). Mean fat oxidation during submaximal exercise was 59% higher in the LC group (1.21 ± 0.02 vs 0.76 ± 0.11 g/min; P = 0.000) corresponding to a greater relative contribution of fat (88 ± 2 vs 56 ± 8%; P = 0.000). Despite these marked differences in fuel use between LC and HC athletes, there were no significant differences in resting muscle glycogen and the level of depletion after 180 min of running (− 64% from pre-exercise) and 120 min of recovery (− 36% from pre-exercise)
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I absolutely CANNOT deviate. Been there, done that, up 30 pounds. Back to it as of yesterday.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you can handle it you'll be fine. I am almost 2.5 years into being LCHF and it really depends on my mindset. Most of the time I've handled a higher carb meal no problem and got right back on the wagon. However during the holidays I was going through a stressful time and then I got sick in January and long story short it led to more days off than on the wagon. However now I'm a little less stressed and over the 3 weeks of illness so Friday I was able to eat higher carbs with dinner and cake for my daughter's bday dinner and get right back on plan with no cravings or regrets.

When I first started I read so much all over about getting "kicked out of ketosis" like it was the worst thing that could ever happen to you and after years at this I know it's not a big deal at all. In fact sometimes you are only "out" for a few hours depending on if you are fat adapted. You can lose weight not in ketosis and gain weight in ketosis.
  • Snrussell09
    Snrussell09 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I just recently started incorporating "carb days" which usually just ends up being one carb meal but I allow one day to eat carbs just because I enjoy certain foods (tacos, chipotle, fries, wings) that have carbs and if there's no reason to give them up, I won't. I have more success sticking to diets in general when I know I have that one meal or day coming up. I did the same thing with "cheat meals" when I was simply moderating calories. However, the biggest reason I do it is because I also notice more consistent/higher weight loss when I do it. I'm sure there's some science that explains it but it works for me. Sunday through Friday, straight keto and then Saturday I'll either remain on keto until dinner or just not worry about it too much for that particular day.

You just have to plan it out. Like this week, we were having a pot luck thing at work and I knew there'd be carbs and everyone eating and what not. Luckily we have several "keto'ers" in the office so we brought keto friendly foods so I still get my regular carb day today :smiley:

I still try to stay under my calorie goal for the day though so it doesn't totally screw me up but even that isn't absolutely vital to me on my carb day.