Best Protein Powder

Options
NarneyK
NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
Hi guys,
I haven't been meeting my protein requirements so I was just wondering which is the best (tasting) protein powder to use? They are pretty expensive and I don't want to get something that tastes horrible. Any recommendations? I'm hoping for something that tastes good on its own and is easy to mix into things and isn't overpowering in flavor. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jenanigans_from_space
    Options
    Bump because ditto. I'm looking for a protein powder which isn't heavily flavoured but those big buckets in the supplement stores and salesy staff intimidate me. Any advice most appreciated!
  • DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just bought a 500g tub of Horley's 'Sculpt' in Vanilla Creme ($22.50) which is delish blended up with Fat-free soy milk & a few ice cubes. My husband told me those small 'for women' tubs are a waste of money though as they're mainly full of flavourings & sweeteners, therefore not as much 'protein' in them. We also just bought a 4kg bag of Optimum Nutrition WPI in Vanilla Ice Cream flavour (approx $110) - I had a sip of the hubby's & it was pretty yum so can't wait to try it with the soy milk. I don't do the chocolate flavours - yuck!
  • NarneyK
    Options
    I just bought a 500g tub of Horley's 'Sculpt' in Vanilla Creme ($22.50) which is delish blended up with Fat-free soy milk & a few ice cubes. My husband told me those small 'for women' tubs are a waste of money though as they're mainly full of flavourings & sweeteners, therefore not as much 'protein' in them. We also just bought a 4kg bag of Optimum Nutrition WPI in Vanilla Ice Cream flavour (approx $110) - I had a sip of the hubby's & it was pretty yum so can't wait to try it with the soy milk. I don't do the chocolate flavours - yuck!

Thanks for the response. Where'd you get them from?
  • DonnaW_78
    DonnaW_78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey NarneyK, I got these from Vitamin King but the hubby gets all of his proteins & supplements from www.mrsupps.com.au
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Optimal Nutrition is my fav. Buy it in bulk at vitaminking.com.au
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm currently on a tub of vital strength Define. Taste is ok, it slightly thickens - even when mixed with water only. At only 95cals it has 18g of protein, and best of all, only 2g of carbs... Cheap too, I get it at chemist warehouse but you can get it online too. Found it to be the same price anyway, but if I stop off at the chemist I avoid the postage cost.
  • beckles00
    Options
    I use Biotrust Low-Carb Time -Released Protein Blend - Milk Chocolate. It's delicious!!! Only mix with water and it's so thick and yummy :-)
  • LauraBee96
    LauraBee96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I highly recommend Bulk Nutrients soy protein isolate. It's pretty cheap, at $19.00 for a kg (cheaper if you buy in a higher bulk), and really easy on the stomach. Taste isn't bad - I recommend the chocolate one.

Add in some ice and sugar free choc syrup, maybe a banana, and BAM!

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/view/Protein

Cheers!
  • NarneyK
    Options
    Someone recommended I use Redbak Sting since it is a fat burning protein powder. It gave me a horrible headache every day that I used it. I googled this to see if it was a common problem and noticed people said it happens because people are sensitive to the artificial sweeteners used in the powders, particularly aspartame. However, from what I was able to see on the Redbak Sting package, the sweetener used is splenda, which I use everyday and don't have an issue with. So I was just wondering if any of you have experienced non-aspartame related headaches from protein powders?
  • Joemka
    Joemka Posts: 6
    Options
    I found one at woollies this week on special 950 gms for $39. Vanilla which I always find too sweet but is good to add to stuff. 32 gm protein, 2.5 carbs and 1.9 fat. Sugar 1.7

Not bad i thought
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Bulk Nutrients soy protein isolate. It's pretty cheap, at $19.00 for a kg (cheaper if you buy in a higher bulk), and really easy on the stomach. Taste isn't bad - I recommend the chocolate one.

Add in some ice and sugar free choc syrup, maybe a banana, and BAM!

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/view/Protein

Cheers!

+1 on Bulk Nutrients. There has been a lot of discussion on a couple of forums in the past few weeks discussing lab test results on a few of the cheaper protein retailers - Bulk Nutrients came up clean, unlike Venom Protein and No Bull Supplements, which were found to be nowhere near the protein ratio claimed on the packaging - they had been cut with additional carbs.
  • retrobyte
    Options
  • gymjunkiemumma
    Options
    I get my protein from our local supplement guy (PumpIt Fitness Orange).

I've just emptied my International Protein WPI Cookies and Cream flavour. With just water is was pretty foul so I tried it with almond milk and I love it. Extra protein in the almond milk as well :)
    I'm about to try Syntha 6 in the strawberry flavour. My personal trainer says it tastes like strawberry milkshakes with only water added so lets hope.
    I also use vanilla protein powder in my cooking, I just buy whatever brand is on sale at the time.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior Warrior Blend
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Your local health food store will give you samples to try
  • retrobyte
    Options
    Your local health food store will give you samples to try

Bulk Nutrients will post you free samples of various flavours of WPI or WPC, via a link on their Facebook page
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options
    Elemental Nutrition has a shredding matrix protein powder. Tastes quite alright with milk. With water I hated it. It comes n a large bucket and a smaller container. I got it from Mr Supplements at Seven Hills but you can order online.
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bulk Nutrients will post you free samples of various flavours of WPI or WPC, via a link on their Facebook page

Thanks for this I'm looking for a new protein, was using venom wpi.....
  • retrobyte
    Options

Thanks for this I'm looking for a new protein, was using venom wpi.....

I find Venom's flavours to be too sickly sweet.
  • NarneyK
    Options
    Elemental Nutrition has a shredding matrix protein powder. Tastes quite alright with milk. With water I hated it. It comes n a large bucket and a smaller container. I got it from Mr Supplements at Seven Hills but you can order online.

I tried this too in both vanilla and choc. The vanilla was pretty bad and the choc wasn't much better, but I made them with water. I might have to give them a shot again with milk.