Living the Lifestyle, Friday, 02/16/2018

jasper60103
jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
edited February 2018 in Social Groups
Living the Lifestyle, Friday, 02/16/2018

We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for February are:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - jasper60103 (Jasper

Today's Topic: Overeating

I was reviewing some of my old WW weeklies. One of the strategies used to avoid
overeating was to put your fork down between every bite. The longer you take to eat, the less likely you are to overeat.

How many of you all practice this?
How do you stop overeating?
Can you offer any new suggestions?

Replies

• jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    edited February 2018
    I must admit, I've gotten away from resting the fork between every bite.
    Note to self. Thanks for the reminder!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,517 Member
    All this time, I still weigh my food most of the time when at home. I rarely reach for seconds. I suppose I could work with figuring out how satisfied feels. But I’m a “if it ain’t broke...” kinda guy.

Also, I know this- I don’t like feeling full. In the old days, at the end of a meal I wanted to be somewhere in the range of full to stuffed. Now I’m looking for satisfied. It’s a short step from full to uncomfortably full. I don’t like it much.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    I have long since given up on trying to modify the mechanics of my eating. Focusing on the mechanics detracted from the enjoyment I would otherwise derive from eating.

I have, however, tried to modify my environment. We leave most 'platters' at the counter so getting more requires a conscious decision to get up and take some more food. This has decreased (significantly) mindless overeating during meals.

Where feasible, I purchase snack items in individually portioned packages. I don't do this if the product has been changed (a lot of the '100 calorie' packs contain different versions of the foodstuff in question) but I almost never open a second package. Bonus: facing the truth about how much (or how little) you get for 100 calories in some snacks forces some decision about how worth it the snack is. Often it isn't.

My wife has encouraged everybody in our family to not snack directly from larger packages. As in "get a bowl." I do this religiously if I'm sick so as not to spread germs and surprisingly it does work. Particularly if you pour your snack put the package away before sitting down to eat. I'm just usually too lazy (or in too much denial over how much I'm about to eat) to follow through consistently.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,088 Member
    I don't pause between bites. Much like Tall Steve, I haven't focused on the mechanics of eating, and also like him, we don't bring the platters to the table, but rather bring our own plate of food out to the table. That really does reduce (or nearly eliminate) the idea of having seconds just because they are available.

The other thing I find valuable is consciously waiting after finishing eating. Even if I *think* I am still hungry after eating a portion, if I wait for 20' afterwards, it turns out that I am no longer hungry. I understand that it take a little while for your "satiated" hormones to catch up with your stomach!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    I'm not consistent with pausing between bites nor putting down my utensils. I have broken the habit of eating out of packages. I portion out what I want. Sometimes I will go back for a second portion but not too often. All my food for work is cooked in bulk and portioned out immediately so I don't have an option for seconds there.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,490 Member
    I've tried that put your fork down, but it doesn't stick to me.
    Slow me down, distract me toth something that requires my handa, like posting to GoaD with bw cereal bowl in the not typing hand. Really slows me down.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,146 Member
    edited February 2018
    All good ideas but um well I just eat fast. What slows me down a bit is distraction from eating and talking to others in a social setting and also watching Jeopardy on TV for dinner. I put the right amount on my plate and don't go back for seconds that much which would mean going back to the kitchen.

Some folks suggested eating left handed but I am very very ambidextrous and that doesn't slow me down neither does eating with chopsticks even left handed. OK OK one "smart" GOADIE suggested eating with one chopstick and I will give ya that one.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,490 Member
    As just about everyone has said, leave the rest in the kitchen. We weigh all the pointy stuff, plus all the meat/fish. The veggies we do put on the table, BUT only cook the proper amount.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,792 Member
    I need to practice slower eating. I always was a fast eater. I guess I just ate and didn't savor the taste.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    How many of you all practice this? Nope
    How do you stop overeating?
    I cut out Mindless eating,
    Portion Control

Can you offer any new suggestions?
    I never practiced it but I remember hearing you should chew each bite X times (I forget how many times?)

Drink a glass of water BEFORE you begin to eat your meal.

When your done wait twenty minutes yo feel full.

If you want to overeat just make sure it veggies.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Avoiding overeating techniques?

I am just now learning to slow down with my food intake but eating fast has not necessarily led to overeating. I lean on my allotted points for the structure / guidance for the total volume to consume. Most days, I tend to spread my points out over the course of the day, rarely consuming the majority of them at any one sitting. I guess my stomach has shrunk too so there's now some natural incentive not to overeat at any one time.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,166 Member
    Many many moons ago I used to eat very fast due to the nature of my occupation but changed occupations a long time ago and totally slowed down eating. Today I eat pretty slow. I usually am half through when most folks are done. Sometimes however I'm eating twice what they are.