Feeling Carbed OUT!

Options
sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
I am week 3 of my re-set. Coming from Low Carb not Low Cal. So I ate 2200-2800 cals a day, but 80% fat - 15% Protein and 5% carbs. I noticed when I cut carbs out, that my chronic neck, back and joint pains virtually went away. I am noticing since incorporating the 40% carb / 30% fat / 30% protein plan my aches are back. And if I eat white carbs they are EVEN WORSE. This is making me wanna cut my carbs back again. I am thinking even on the occasion for these things may not work out for me anymore :( Goes to show there are some things we can never get back to I guess. Sorry Pizza - you are killin me.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Don't necessarily rule out all carbs. Maybe it's certain foods you have an allergy to that exacerbate your physical issues. Try introducing foods slowly into your diet, say berries for a few days and see how things go. Then add rice next, then maybe melon, then potatoes, etc...and so on to see: (I'd save bread and whole grain foods for last)
    A. what your carb threshold is
    B. determine what food might trigger the physical symptoms

Just a suggestion.
  • jbnl1991
    jbnl1991 Posts: 149
    Options
    I notice that my joint pain increases when I eat wheat, so I avoid it altogether. I am also trying to limit corn products, but I love corn chips and nachos, so that is proving more difficult for me.

There are plenty of other options to meet your carb goal - mainly fruits and vegetables! Carbs don't have to be potatoes, wheat, rice or corn. Keep searching for foods that fit your macros but don't inflame. Don't give up!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would take it slower adding back the carbs, and try sticking to fruits and veggies rather than wheat and white carbs. Work up to it more gradually.

Any change that drastic is going to upset your body/system, even if you *don't* have problems with the foods you are adding --- never mind if you *do * have problems!.

As suggested ^^ maybe try avoiding wheat products for a while and see if that helps ... I know that I feel terrible when I eat wheat (not body pain, just bloating). Get your carbs from fruits (berries are awesome!), veggies and things like quinoa and sweet potatoes..
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I am going to do that. I am thankful that I actually learned how great I felt while Low Carbing. I have been having oatmeal every morning since I started this (which I love), might drop that and start eating a more protein / fat breakfast with fruit, I will try Quinoa I have heard great things about it. I am gonna make a good sized list of veggies and fruit this grocery trip, even if it means freezing fruit for smoothies later. Will be sure to get lotsa veggies. Thanks for the input all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not givin up!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I am going to do that. I am thankful that I actually learned how great I felt while Low Carbing. I have been having oatmeal every morning since I started this (which I love), might drop that and start eating a more protein / fat breakfast with fruit, I will try Quinoa I have heard great things about it. I am gonna make a good sized list of veggies and fruit this grocery trip, even if it means freezing fruit for smoothies later. Will be sure to get lotsa veggies. Thanks for the input all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not givin up!

Quinoa is awesome - I love it with a little vinaigrette, chopped cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and some crumbled feta cheese. Also awesome for breakfast (make it sweet, just like you would your oatmeal...) Just remember to read the instructions - you have to rinse it first, or else it can have a slightly bitter taste. Very versatile and a good protein source too...
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the cooking tip on quinoa, it's on my shopping list this week!
  • taniak3
    taniak3 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the cooking tip on quinoa, it's on my shopping list this week!

Ditto! Thank you!
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Don't necessarily rule out all carbs. Maybe it's certain foods you have an allergy to that exacerbate your physical issues. Try introducing foods slowly into your diet, say berries for a few days and see how things go. Then add rice next, then maybe melon, then potatoes, etc...and so on to see: (I'd save bread and whole grain foods for last)
    A. what your carb threshold is
    B. determine what food might trigger the physical symptoms

Just a suggestion.

I believe there is wisdom in this. I eat a lot of carbs (well over 50%), but I rarely eat white ones. Whole grain all the way. I also avoid gluten because of nursing baby. You might want to consider cutting out gluten. That might be what's doing it. GF eating is not necessarily low carb, so if it's gluten that is the problem, you can get whatever ratio of carbs you want/need and avoid the aches and pains. If you focus more on fruits and veggies than on grains (semi paleo, perhaps), you can get in different carbs than the ones that are making you ache.

Good luck!

Oh, yes, quinoa is the bomb!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i think carbs, or certain carbs cause inflammation in people. i eat primal (meat, veggies, nuts, fruit, cheese) and when i cheat- usually on pizza and beer i feel like DEATH the next day- my joints hurt and my brain is foggy, and it takes about 3 days for me to feel normal again.

that being said i like the way i feel when my carbs are around 100g a day, but if i eat a lot of "paleo carbs" like potatoes and starchy veggies to knock up my carb count i feel lethargic and crave sugar, but my joints don't hurt.

if i eat wheat and up my carbs for the day i feel achy and my brain gets to be foggy... listen to your body- maybe it's just the wheat?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not only can carbs do that, but the composition of the meal can have an effect too.

Eat the carbs first in a meal, insulin is going to spike, then eat your protein and fat, too late, effect done.

But eat all together, or protein and fat first, you may be able to get by with more carbs, as fat will help slow digestion too.

And it may indeed be you have some food sensitivities when eating this quantity, not allergies, but getting close.

At least the stress of a diet isn't there compounding the effect, but it may be enough on it's own.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I used to be a chronic low carb eater (30-50 grams a day if that). SInce completing my reset though, I have made it my goal to maintain 100 grams of carbs. Any more than that and I feel nasty, tired, bloated, and just down right achy. It was a good point for me and I'm still aiming for that amount. I think that carbs are not bad as long as you don't over do it (I honestly believe 40% of carbs is WAY OVERKILL!) and eat natural sources of carb.

I think that you really just need to find your sweet spot. Everyone's body responds differently. While I felt great at a much lower carb, it wasn't ideal for my body's cycles (I managed to regulate myself during my reset!) and since we plan on TTC, I think it best to stick with more carbs than not. :)