Heart Attack and Diet Change

Options
I had a heart attack 5 weeks ago. I had a stent put in one of my arteries and that made a world of difference!
Now I am trying to learn to eat different as well as exercise better. I will wrap up cardio rehab in mid April.

What foods are you eating to help you feel satisfied as well as be heart healthy? Thanks

I am working on this

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, it has been so quiet on this group, and I didn't notice you posting here! I hope you are still here and reading.

After my event, I went out of my way to eat "heart healthy" foods, like oily fish, oats, walnuts, olive oil, plenty of fruit and veg, a bit of red wine, etc. Unfortunately, that resulted in me gaining weight! It does seem that if (as in my case) you have a "weight problem", then you do have to actively control the amount you eat - eating the "right" foods will make you gain, unless you work against it.

I still eat heart healthy foods, but have had different ways of controlling the intake over the years - I won't bore you with the history! But I felt I need to mention that it's always a struggle to control my intake.

These days, I don't eat huge amounts of meat, so do get some of my protein from nuts, beans and lentils. I also have some dairy and eggs. I don't eat breakfast any more, so rarely eat oats now. I have recently gone back to eating bread, but trying to make it myself, and eat in moderation! Apparently slow-fermented sourdough/levain is good for you?

I do find it difficult to eat very low fat diets - they make me miserable! So I still have some fat in my diet - cheese, butter, oil, nuts, etc. I still try to eat a lot of vegetables, and not so much fruit.
  • gracie97007
    gracie97007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Vailara, I just saw your post. Thanks for sharing with me. I appreciate your insight