Shiritaki "miracle", "smart" "konjac" noodles, who loves them?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »
    with something...cold?

Oh sorry. No they don't come cold packed. I don't think they need to be refrigerated until after they are cooked.

Interesting. They are always sold in cold sections. Good to know!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've found them both on the shelf and in the fridge sections of stores. I've never noticed if there is a difference in treatment if they are tofu (20 cal/3 carbs minus 2 fibre = 1g) or konjac (0-0-0), @Sabine_Stroehm??
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I tried, and kinda never really liked them, the texture just doesn't feel yummy to me. Will maybe try panfrying as some suggest here at one point.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I enjoy them in stir-fry. I rinse them, throw them in the microwave a minute, and then into the pan as the last step. I keep meaning to make them in a soup but I have not yet. I have actually never used them like traditional pasta with marinara, alfredo, or pesto. I just somehow think they would stand out too much in those dishes.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We've used the konjac ones quite a bit. The brand we get here is called NuPasta. It took a couple tries to get used to the texture but after that it was fine. We do the angel hair in stir-fry on occasion, and the linguine shape either as a side (fried with oil/butter/garlic/seasoning) or as a main, with some meat, fat, and some veg, like broccoli and a bit of onion.

They're expensive though so it's more of a rare treat than a regular thing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    We've used the konjac ones quite a bit. The brand we get here is called NuPasta. It took a couple tries to get used to the texture but after that it was fine. We do the angel hair in stir-fry on occasion, and the linguine shape either as a side (fried with oil/butter/garlic/seasoning) or as a main, with some meat, fat, and some veg, like broccoli and a bit of onion.

They're expensive though so it's more of a rare treat than a regular thing.

I get them for $1.25 a bag, so that's not so bad here.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    1.99 for the tofu shirtaki, 4.00 for the konjac ones here. I usually buy the tofu ones for obvious reasons... I'll willingly pay 1/2 as much for only 1 carb instead of zero carb, lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    1.99 for the tofu shirtaki, 4.00 for the konjac ones here. I usually buy the tofu ones for obvious reasons... I'll willingly pay 1/2 as much for only 1 carb instead of zero carb, lol.

Ouch! I definitely prefer my $1.25 a bag!
  • Shane00000
    Shane00000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We've made ramen with them and chicken marsala. I did not notice any off smell about them, I guess it's subjective. I did follow the girlfriends instructions, rinse a few times, and them pan fry in a dry pan to remove the excess water. She bought them on Amazon. They tend to absorb whatever flavor you're cooking with. And while they aren't a direct replacement for real pasta, they do allow for alternatives when you have a craving for a pasta type dish. Nothing I would want to eat every week, but as an every now and then they worked just fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    For those who find the texture odd, I just tried these: https://www.amazon.com/shirataki-gluten-noodles-spinach-200gX6packs/dp/B06Y5JDMYX

Much better al dente texture. Today I did dry fried noodles, then added pesto, tomatoes and spinach. YUM.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

Ouch! I definitely prefer my $1.25 a bag!

Yeah, I think the local grocery stores/health food stores mark those ones up a bit more because the 0/0/0 is soooo popular these days (and I live in a fairly health and sport conscious community). Whatever the market will bear, right? :#

• xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    So I did buy two packages in the refrigerated section. I had one for the first time and it was OK but not the tofu but the other kind. And I still have the other one in the fridge. Can it be frozen so it doesn’t go bad?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have never had them go bad, even after months and months in the refrigerator...never tried freezing them.
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ahh good to know. Must be some powerful stuff in that liquid. Lol.
    Any side effects?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I too have eaten shirataki a few months past the sell-by date, with no problems. ;)
    I just watched an NHK World program on konnyaku and shirataki -- one small maker is selling "no stink" shirataki to Italian restaurants in Italy, so the world is catching on. The video was only shown on the news, so no link to it, but I found this article on the same website about konnyaku: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/food/articles/116.html
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've seen two types of shirataki noodles in stores: ones that have tofu in them, which must be refrigerated, and those that don't, that are shelf-stable. I agree that rinsing, boiling, draining and then dry-frying them, before adding other ingredients, is the way to go. alternatively, you could prep them without dry frying them, dry them with a paper towel and toss them with an Asian peanut- or sesame butter sauce.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1099/9762/files/Miracle-Noodle-Cookbook-and-Diet-Plan.pdf?14146173273353138593
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I've never boiled them. The instructions I got originally a few years ago were just to throw them in a sieve, rinse them very well then just throw them in with your sauce or run very hot tap water over them to heat and eat.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I too only rinse and dry fry. That has always worked for me.

One other use I did recently was with taco meat. I used to eat taco salad with tortilla chips. Clearly that is not on the menu anymore. By mixing in the miracle rice instead of the chips, it gave it that extra bulk and helped soak up most of the delicious juices from the meat.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    For those who find the texture odd, I just tried these: https://www.amazon.com/shirataki-gluten-noodles-spinach-200gX6packs/dp/B06Y5JDMYX

Much better al dente texture. Today I did dry fried noodles, then added pesto, tomatoes and spinach. YUM.

Ah... Amazon lists these as coming in a box of 6 (12 servings) for ... US$97.00. That's $8/serving! Did you find yours at a local grocery for a cheaper price?

I'm going to try your combo of noodles, pesto, & spinach as I have all of these items right now!! (maybe tomatoes... it's hard to find a decent (let alone good) tomato in Winter... best bet is cherry tomatoes...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    So I finally found and tasted this shirataki konjac noodle. The kind I found is Nasoya Pasta Zero. I've read so much about how bad shirataki noodles smell, I was shocked to cut open the bag to only a very, very faint odor. Nearly none really. I'm sitting at my desk with the empty, non rinsed bag and have taken a whiff a couple of times and...nothing.

They really have no taste. They are slightly chewy. I like them better than all of the bean noodles I have tried (adzuki, mung, etc). Calories, carbs, taste, texture are all superior. Thumbs up.

I rinsed them and did the "dry fry" thing but I'm not so sure it would have been necessary. a 2/3 cup serving (113 grams) has 15 calories, 4 carbs, 2 fiber. $2.49/bag. 2 servings per package. Found them in Publix in the chilled produce area. Packaging indicates these need refrigerated.

https://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/21197568/Zero-Shirataki-Spaghetti-Pasta.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_XUTCjQzlCEpkzYbuydP6aWvA_GETwtDBf8TyZPtlB2Beblb_9y1WxoCc7wQAvD_BwE