Options
124»

Replies

• jordanveg
    jordanveg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Aurora1525 wrote: »
    Perhaps I need to revise.

There are two types of vegetarian health nuts. I'm totally okay with those of you out there who went vegetarian for your health. But there are some health nuts who take it to an extreme - eating a strict raw diet, drinking green smoothies, going so far as to eat tofu straight from the container. Sure, it's their perogative...but it's these types of health nuts that scream to high heavens that their way is the "right way" and then I have to deal with people thinking that vegetarianism is a joyless eating experience. That's what bothers me -- not the healthy eating part, but how forcefully they make others believe vegetarianism is this boring, strict way of eating.

Alright, where to start? This post is still offensive. I became vegetarian out of a love for animals, and became a vegan for health reasons. I love raw food, sprouting my beans, drinking green smoothies, juicing, and taking care of my health. I see nothing wrong with that at all. I live in a non vegan household and am dating a carnivore, and I am not preachy, I don't attack or try to change them, I just live my life and occasionally offer a delicious smoothie, or beautiful salad. I don't see how people taking care of their health in a different way than you could annoy you so badly. Why is it that raw food, smoothie, or raw tofu is "joyless?" I love eating my food. I adore taking raw, unseasoned tofu and throwing it on salads, or snacking on it right out of the package. What gives you the right to judge others for being different? Also, I would argue that it isn't just health nut vegans who scream they are right. Have you heard of paleo, primal, atkins, ETHICAL vegans? I've nothing against any of those people, but it isn't just health nut vegan screaming that they are right.
  • Yogafit28
    Yogafit28 Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Aurora1525 wrote: »
    I have this theory that there are 3 types of vegetarians:
    1. THE HEALTH NUT - a person who has decided on a vegetarian diet because they believe it is healthier than a meat-based diet.
    2. THE ANIMAL LOVER - a person who couldn't stand the thought of supporting the genocide of animals for human consumption.
    3. THE FLAVOR HATER - a person who just never liked the taste of meat, and therefore, by default, is vegetarian.

Which one are you? Or am I missing a category?

Animal lover first (ate meat as a kid and I did like the taste), then when I was about 8 I started to question if it was wrong, so I ask my mom and dad. My father was insistent that I ate meat "for my protein." When I was 10 (by this time I had no taste for it anyway and I was fighting with my dad about eating it) I took a trip with my school friend who was vegetarian and went veg for the week. I got back and refused to eat meat since lol....after a lot of fighting with my parents since my youth, they're come to accept it. And now 9 (almost 10) years later I've converted to the HEALTH NUT , while remaining an ANIMAL LOVER and over course I have no desire for the taste of meat :open_mouth: Now I've converted to being a vegan for the last two years and I am very happy!
  • heffron742
    heffron742 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 2 years, went to college and wasn't eating right, so I started eating tuna to correct my diet and make myself healthy.

Now, for personal reasons (after 2 years of eating fish), I want to switch back to vegetarianism.

I don't remember it being this hard the first time.

Tips on weening off animal protein again?
  • Tizwiz7
    Tizwiz7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely in the animal lover category. The treatment of animals bred for food was definitely a primary motivation for giving up meat. But I've learned more about the health benefits of a meat free diet recently, which reaffirm my confidence in the veggie lifestyle.
  • ering47
    ering47 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a combination of all three :)
  • fadingweight
    fadingweight Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely the first two, but the third applies to certain types of meat. My family is huge into steak and pork and I've never liked the taste. I've only ever liked chicken and seafood, but I gave it up for the second reason.
  • SJanesWeightLoss
    SJanesWeightLoss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an animal lover. I grew up with meat and I just stopped eating it at the beginning of this year. I just didn't desire it anymore and I felt bad.
  • joannefeo
    joannefeo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So far I'm all 3
    1. I'm a huge animal lover
    2. My doc. Insisted I lose weight
    3. I was never a big meat eater..i would only eat chicken w/o bones
    4. So I just finally decided if I wanted to be a better me, Becoming vegetarian is what i needed to do for my heart and health.
  • BreyondBlush
    BreyondBlush Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 5 because of the animal lover reason. When I got older I tried to eat meat again because I was severely bullied and discovered it made me sick whenever I ate it. People have secretly added meat to things resulting in me becoming sick so it strangely isn't psychological, my body just will not take it.

Nowadays I'm more of a type 1 and 2, also trying to be vegan as often as possible.
  • clevelandwriter
    clevelandwriter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lacto ova but trying to reduce dairy. Oh, and I hate mushrooms. Just adding that because.