2»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    2 things I've learned running on low carb:

1. During the adaptation period (first 8 weeks of low carb), it is important to stay at lower exertion in order to improve adaptation and to prevent bonking.
    2. Make sure to get electrolytes.

*A 3rd thing is that a lot of fat adapted runners do supplement carbs during high exertion events (such as races).

The standard dieter (high carbs) can't oxidize fat in skeletal muscles beyond about 55% of VO2 Max, and 65% for elite athletes. The whole point of fat adaptation is to improve this level, and exercising at too high of an intensity during the adaptation period harms this effort.

As to the 10K at the end of this race, you need to choose between these 2 things:
    1. Go slow, as though it is a training run, and accept that you are not going to have a PR. I.e. Run it and don't race it.
    2. Take some carbs that you can tolerate 30 min. before the race. This is only if you can stand it without GI issues. It's only a 10K, so I would not exceed 50g (probably better at 30g). An idea to avoid much GI distress is hard candy, as that will go into your blood through the surface of your gums and inside of cheeks rather than through your stomach.

I've found the UCAN superstarch is great for right before a run but is very expensive. For me, I would use before a race but not for regular runs. Regular corn starch seems to work just as well for me and it is much cheaper and those things do not upset my stomach even during a race.

I've got a friend that has eaten keto-style for a couple of years and does bicycle racing. I talked him into trying the UCAN starch and sold him on it not spiking insulin much and he tried it and reported back that he had an exceptional race with it and was very impressed with it.

A lot of fat adapted athletes use that. As a type 1, I've had problems in the past during high intensity runs (races). So I've decided to give UCAN a try this year. Soon, I'll experiment with some training runs and decide if it is a good idea during a race.

ETA: I'm not sure it would be very valuable for a short race like a 10K.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    2 things I've learned running on low carb:

1. During the adaptation period (first 8 weeks of low carb), it is important to stay at lower exertion in order to improve adaptation and to prevent bonking.
    2. Make sure to get electrolytes.

*A 3rd thing is that a lot of fat adapted runners do supplement carbs during high exertion events (such as races).

The standard dieter (high carbs) can't oxidize fat in skeletal muscles beyond about 55% of VO2 Max, and 65% for elite athletes. The whole point of fat adaptation is to improve this level, and exercising at too high of an intensity during the adaptation period harms this effort.

As to the 10K at the end of this race, you need to choose between these 2 things:
    1. Go slow, as though it is a training run, and accept that you are not going to have a PR. I.e. Run it and don't race it.
    2. Take some carbs that you can tolerate 30 min. before the race. This is only if you can stand it without GI issues. It's only a 10K, so I would not exceed 50g (probably better at 30g). An idea to avoid much GI distress is hard candy, as that will go into your blood through the surface of your gums and inside of cheeks rather than through your stomach.

I've found the UCAN superstarch is great for right before a run but is very expensive. For me, I would use before a race but not for regular runs. Regular corn starch seems to work just as well for me and it is much cheaper and those things do not upset my stomach even during a race.

I've got a friend that has eaten keto-style for a couple of years and does bicycle racing. I talked him into trying the UCAN starch and sold him on it not spiking insulin much and he tried it and reported back that he had an exceptional race with it and was very impressed with it.

A lot of fat adapted athletes use that. As a type 1, I've had problems in the past during high intensity runs (races). So I've decided to give UCAN a try this year. Soon, I'll experiment with some training runs and decide if it is a good idea during a race.

ETA: I'm not sure it would be very valuable for a short race like a 10K.

I use it or regular corn starch to run after a 19-20 hr fast so I can do it. Or I will use coconut oil or both. I'm not type 1 or 2.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    So my 8 mile run ended at 5.5. Hit a wall...literally couldn’t go on. I had been running my pre-keto pace until mile 4, then became increasingly slow. Race season is pretty much over in S Florida....I figure my early fall I will be Ketofied enough to start taking carbs before long runs, so not the end of the world. Just didn’t want to change things up right after getting into the swing of things!
  • velocitykate
    velocitykate Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I managed my quickest 5km this year this morning, fasted, so it seems that things are slowly improving.

10k on Sunday - we'll see how that goes!