Tell me about sushi . . .

Options
LogR4Life
LogR4Life Posts: 62 Member
Hi! I am new to/transitioning to a PB lifestyle for the health of it. I am still learning the ins and outs and basically at this point am introducing more and more PB foods and eating less and less meat and dairy. I have made some other positive changes such as cutting out as much processed food as I can, eliminating artificial sweeteners, and reducing sugar. I have a long way to go but am feeling great about the changes I've made thus far! My question is about sushi -- not the ones with fish but the all-vegetable varieties. Is sushi an acceptable food?

Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yes. It uses rice, seaweed, avocado, sometimes pickled carrots or ginger. All whole foods and plant based.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of the sauces, some of them are sugar bombs.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    If you are avoiding sugar, sushi would be a no-go, since the rice is definitely mixed with sugar. For reduction purposes, it's probably okay if you truly moderate!
  • invitedchaos
    invitedchaos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    If you are avoiding sugar, sushi would be a no-go, since the rice is definitely mixed with sugar. For reduction purposes, it's probably okay if you truly moderate!

I've never heard of this... You add vinegar to rice to make it stickier, not sugar.

Definitely do be careful with the sauces, though. The spicy stuff is mostly mayo (obv), eel sauce is sugar-heavy, and soy sauce - sodium city! But if you do no-sauce or low-sodium soy it's not so bad. Lots of good veggie options, and often you can get it wrapped in cucumber or soy paper instead of rice!