Been on keto 6 weeks only lost 2 lbs. help!

Options
Help pleaseeeee I had s gastric bypass 14 years ago. Gained back 20 lbs that I want back off. Been on keto for 6 weeks now and I have lost 2 lbs. I’m so frustrated. I started with 1600 calories now I’m at 1200 starting last week- I’m staying as close to 5% carbs, 75% Fat and 20% Pro. I have been making different recipes on keto sites keeping the carbs low. Plus I drink over 80 oz of water per day. I really think I’m doing everything right. I even stopped drinking alcohol last week. I just don’t get it! Any suggestions would be helpful please. I enjoy this diet. I bought the keto strips and it says I’m barely in keto. I don’t know what I’m missing.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing those tasty high calorie keto foods on a food scale? Just a question because usually the lack of carbs in the diet will at least initially result a loss of water weight. Is 20 pounds all you have to lose? Many people experience slower loss when closer to goal which is more reason to scrutinize intake if not losing. Any new exercise routine that could be causing water retention that is masking a bigger loss?
  • cwrtmomtothree
    cwrtmomtothree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You stated that you stopped drinking alcohol last week. How much alcohol was you drinking? I only ask because if you are limiting carbs some alcohol can have more carbs than you think .Are you making sure that you are not going over your carb count and are you getting enough good fats in your diet? Just a thought. Good Luck
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind my asking but are you weighing everything? I use a scale for everything that is not a liquid. Also do you eat any processed foods? I try to make at minimum 95% of all the food I eat in my kitchen....it makes it so much easier to control the content. I also have naturally fallen into intermittent fasting and eat only lunch and dinner and just a bullet proof coffee in the morning. Friend me if you like...my friends can see my diary :)
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hi I just wonder if your fats are actually too high? Try dropping those down and upping your protein. It sounds like you don't have a lot to loose and you want any spare fat from your body to be used not the fat from your food. I'm at 5% carbs 61% fat and 34% protein. In grams: 15g net carbs 80 g fat 102g protein. calories 1188. I'd play around with those and also as others have said, weigh using a food scale. Hope you see a change in those scales. Which reminds me, measure yourself! Lots of people find that even if the scales aren't moving the tape measure is!
  • sandyh1414
    sandyh1414 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Omg thank you so much everyone- I don’t weigh my food but I certainly can do that.
    I actually want to lose 40 lbs. but 20 lbs was my first goal that I thought should be attainable.

When I drank alcohol it was vodka and soda water so not many calories in there. I realize that part might be part of my problem.

And lastly I will calculate closer maybe I need to up the protein more! Thank you for the suggestions I will absolutely work on all of those.

5:20 and hitting the gym hoping this will also give me a boost thank you everyone for the suggestion I really appreciate the support!

- sandy

Are you weighing those tasty high calorie keto foods on a food scale? Just a question because usually the lack of carbs in the diet will at least initially result a loss of water weight. Is 20 pounds all you have to lose? Many people experience slower loss when closer to goal which is more reason to scrutinize intake if not losing. Any new exercise routine that could be causing water retention that is masking a bigger loss?[/quote]
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Are you weighing those tasty high calorie keto foods on a food scale? Just a question because usually the lack of carbs in the diet will at least initially result a loss of water weight. Is 20 pounds all you have to lose? Many people experience slower loss when closer to goal which is more reason to scrutinize intake if not losing. Any new exercise routine that could be causing water retention that is masking a bigger loss?

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Your goal is set to 52g of protein and 100g of fat...if it were me I would reverse those...100g of protein and 52g of fat...you want your body to use stored fat, so you don't need to consume as much fat.

Also, you might want to try getting rid of anything with artificial sweeteners for a couple weeks to see if you are sensitive to those.
  • sandyh1414
    Options
    Thank you! I’ll switch those up.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    sandyh1414 wrote: »
    Thank you! I’ll switch those up.

Just keep in mind that it is the calorie deficit that causes weight loss producing fat loss. Whether your calorie deficit is a result of reduced carbs or fat or protein...if there is a deficit, there should be weight loss resulting fat loss. In all cases stored body fat is depleted. It's usually just logical perhaps to reduce fat intake because of it's calorie density.
  • Jacqgh777
    Jacqgh777 Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My brother has been following Dr. Bergs KetoDiet. He lost 6.5 lbs in 6 days. Granted it’s water weight now but he’s staying in ketosis- so it will be going into fat loss soon. He’s even had vodka and soda and a couple lite beers. I’m back on it today using Dr. Bergs principles. I also ordered his book - on body types. Here is his link and if you want - check him on YouTube. He has a lot of great videos breaking it down and does it on a white board - so it’s very easy to understand. Remember too much protein can also keep you out of ketosis. Not everyone reacts the same so you will have to see what works best for you.

https://www.drberg.com/blog-article/ketogenic-diet-plan
  • Jacqgh777
    Jacqgh777 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    lrvjhmu8x6j8.png
  • sandyh1414
    Options
    Awesome thanks
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I agree with switching the fat and protein. This will also end up being more actual food volume and will allow you to add a few more grams to make up the difference in calories the switch will create.
    100g fat is 900 calories.
    100g protein is only 400 calories.
    So instead of having a tiny piece of meat and adding butter to it, have a piece of meat twice as large and don’t add any fat.
    Protein is crazy important. Especially as we get older and when eating at a caloric deficit and exercising.

100g fat plus 52g protein is 1108 calories
    100g protein plus 52g fat is 868 calories. So you can add a little more of both to get back up to the 1100 mark.