Surgery 3/19/18

Options

Hi everyone,
I have surgery coming soon and was wondering if there was anything anyone could say that helped them for the first 2 weeks post op? For example, what to bring to the hospital?

Replies

• StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I only spent one night at the hospital post-op. I just brought my hygiene items and a change of clothes.

The surgeon prescribed me a pain medication, but it kept upsetting my stomach to take it so after two days, I switched over to regular generic Tylenol. Gas X strips were a huge help anytime I started getting any gas pressure.

The best advice I have is to follow your post-op instructions to a T. Don't try to eat anything unless it is specifically listed by your doctor before it's time to. Everyone is different, but I found that even when I was far enough along to eat eggs, they would make my stomach churn. I was almost 3 weeks past time to introduce eggs before I could really stomach them.

And one of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to forget how you ate and be prepared to eat healthy for the rest of your life. Sure, you will find down the road that you can occasionally indulge in something small. But you will always want to avoid excess sweets (cake, donuts, candy), soda and other super-sugary drinks and starches like rice, bread and pasta.

Best of luck to you!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Ditto, what Steven said. I don't remember any specifics that I took to the hospital, maybe something for dry lips and I know I took socks. I'm generally chilly but didn't have any issues with them bringing plenty of extra blankets. They even warmed them up for me in recovery. I did take my bathrobe because I needed it to walk the halls. I used the hospital gown but did put on PJ's when I left the room.

I did have blurry vision from the nausea patch but no real pain from the surgery.

When they tell you that you can start sipping water, start then. Use your cell phone timer so you can take 1-2 swallows every 10-15 minutes you are awake.

Don't rush things and like Steven said, follow your doctor's orders to the T. If you don't understand something, call the Doctor's office. They want you to be successful and will get you an answer. They've heard it all and if you come up with something new they need to get you an answer. Good luck.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ditto Steven and loveshoe. Follow those Dr orders! Load up your house with the various liquids you can have. And make sure you get the required amounts of protein and liquids in! I wasn't hungry, started skipping meals, wanted to sleep all the time - my body started shutting down. Eek! So follow your orders closely, call with ANY questions! And congrats on getting this new tool to help you on your journey to life-long health! Realize that this IS a tool, and you won't be on a diet, you will be on a new lifestyle with new habits for the rest of your life. You've got this!
  • liljoeblue
    liljoeblue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Nikki - I get mine on the 19th of this month as well!
  • DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Make some good broths for your return, hated my first week until my husband made a amazing tasting broth...... I also drank too fast in the first few days, keep it really, really slow. Took me almost a day before I could drink anything again. I was a mess and it was a little scary.
  • AlbertaB2018
    AlbertaB2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Am going to have a sleeve done in July...a bit scared but need to do this
  • velynna
    velynna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having surgery on the 27th of March and haven't really followed the liquid diet and was told I might not be able to have the surgery kinda scared that it won't happen. This has been a hard month for and I am an emotional eater and have been depressed a lot lately but I have 5 days left to be able to shrink my liver I am doing what I am supposed too now but it might be too late any advice or anything would be helpful not looking for rude remarks so if this is you don't bother posting thanks
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @AlbertaB2018 don't be scared. I never had a surgery prior to my gastric sleeve. I remember...not much really. I was in pre-op sitting on the bed. They gave me a shot into my IV that they said would make me drowse. The next thing I remember, I woke up with an upset stomach with the nurse by me and told her I had to throw up. Of course it was just a bit of spit/bile. Went back to sleep, woke up being wheeled into my room for the night. Got up and walked around the halls every hour, sipped water and went home the next day. Every day got better after that.

@velynna it is very important to follow the liquid diet. You've worked hard jumping through the hoops with the insurance requirements, the seminars, etc. You obviously have chosen this as the course you want to take. It is hard to stick to the diet, but you have to. If you truly want this and want it to work, you have to commit yourself for the rest of your life. I've seen so many people have the surgery and a few days later, they are trying to eat biscuits & gravy, bacon, etc. That's not going to work. Even after surgery, you have to stick to eating healthy foods. The rewards in your health, self esteem, a longer & healthier life and getting to do all the things that you are either unable to do now because of size/limitations/etc.

For me, being able to tie my shoes without holding my breath, being able to jog, buy NICE new clothes, run & play with my kids, get compliments from people and not feel like I'm a fat blob hiding inside myself and not having my hips, knees, back, etc. in pain just from walking around a bit is great. My biggest reward is in my profile picture. I have never been able to have children. I had the surgery August 2016 and in December, my wife and I conceived that precious little boy. I have two step-daughters that I have raised as my own since they were 1 and 4, but I cannot tell you the intense joy this little guy has brought me. That I am no longer the last of my name. I see so much of me in him and all the potential he has for his future and it feels like that even when my body passes on, I will still be alive in him. And it's all because I stuck to my diet plan, had the surgery and realized that the foods I ate to comfort me from my clinical depression and anxiety was what was causing it in the first place.

You can do this!