Are pork rinds acceptable as a low carb snack?

Options
mjy7478
mjy7478 Posts: 60 Member
Im always on the go so if I woke up late or didn't have enough time to meal prep the night before I find myself stoping at the store at work and grabbing a bag of Better Made BBQ prok rinds. One bag contains 24 grams of protein and zero carbs. How ever they are highly processed and contains 630 mg of sodium. What do you think good or bad snack ?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've not looked at every bag of pork rinds that exist but most I have looked at have a statement on the bag that reads something to the effect of 'not a sufficient source of protein' though they have "high protein". I think the pork rind protein is generally lacking some of the essential amino acids needed for overall health. Anyone feel free to correct/clarify the reason for the labeling.

As a snack, I'd call them adequate. As an on the go meal, I'd call them lacking. 630 gr of sodium would be the benefit to me. If it is a convenience type store you're stopping by, consider looking in the refrigerated section for lunchmeat, cheese, boiled eggs.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've not looked at every bag of pork rinds that exist but most I have looked at have a statement on the bag that reads something to the effect of 'not a sufficient source of protein' though they have "high protein". I think the pork rind protein is generally lacking some of the essential amino acids needed for overall health. Anyone feel free to correct/clarify the reason for the labeling.

As a snack, I'd call them adequate. As an on the go meal, I'd call them lacking. 630 gr of sodium would be the benefit to me. If it is a convenience type store you're stopping by, consider looking in the refrigerated section for lunchmeat, cheese, boiled eggs.

Agree.
    As a snack? Go for it. I eat pork rinds (salt & vinegar) every day just about, and have for over 3 years.
  • RaleighCaldwell
    RaleighCaldwell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's my go to snack when on the run. Also, a very good item to use as a binder in place of bread crumbs in some recipes, and I've also used it as a coating for "oven fried" foods. Most all will be zero carbs and pretty high in sodium.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    As a snack? You bet. I like to put Kerrygold butter on mine making 'em a good replacement for the butter & crackers I used to eat on the SAD. I have at least a few of these just about every day and have done so for around 1.5 years. It's a good way to bump up the sodium we need on a LCHF diet.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Oops! LOL! I just read my previous post and it reminded me of another where kg was used versus pound.

I see above I typed 630 gr when I should have typed 630 mg. 630 grams might be lethal so make that "630 mg would be the benefit to me....".
    kpk54 wrote: »

As a snack, I'd call them adequate. As an on the go meal, I'd call them lacking. 630 gr mg of sodium would be the benefit to me. If it is a convenience type store you're stopping by, consider looking in the refrigerated section for lunchmeat, cheese, boiled eggs.

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I couldn't imagine movie night without my (plain) pork rinds & dip or used as nachos covered in melted cheese with salsa, guac & sour cream! I've never tried any of the flavored ones, they are just are available in stores near me.

Other snack options when on the run and hitting a convenience store are nuts, beef jerky and pepperoni sticks. Often in the cooler will be the combination pepperoni/cheese packs as well.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds as a snack. Lifesaver especially as mentioned above, at the movies where popcorn beckons
  • ddzgm
    ddzgm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love all the ideas, never thought of pork rinds as bread crumbs, GREAT Idea! I am learning so much!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    As a snack? You bet. I like to put Kerrygold butter on mine making 'em a good replacement for the butter & crackers I used to eat on the SAD. I have at least a few of these just about every day and have done so for around 1.5 years. It's a good way to bump up the sodium we need on a LCHF diet.

I used to get butter on saltines when I was sick as a kid. I miss it sometimes as a comfort food when I have the sniffles. I will TOTALLY try this idea. lol

• ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat them as a snack regularly. They fill my potato chip void.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ddzgm wrote: »
    I love all the ideas, never thought of pork rinds as bread crumbs, GREAT Idea! I am learning so much!

pork rind crusted chicken leg quarter. If you liked breaded meat before, you have to try pork rinds as a replacement. I don't have a pic, but the pork rind crusted pork chop fried in butter was amazing.

is2lsnyioc1r.jpg
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    yessss. Pork rinds are a great snack. Or have them as an appetizer with salsa or pậté. They are useful in recipes too. :)
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

pork rind crusted chicken leg quarter. If you liked breaded meat before, you have to try pork rinds as a replacement. I don't have a pic, but the pork rind crusted pork chop fried in butter was amazing.

is2lsnyioc1r.jpg

mmm that side dish looks delish too.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

is2lsnyioc1r.jpg

mmm that side dish looks delish too.

Side is brussels sprouts sauteed with garlic in bacon grease. Added the crumbled bacon back in along with just a bit of parmesan cheese. And, yes, it was delish.
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A lot of people, particularly just starting on keto, have a sodium deficiency due to losing a lot of water weight. If you feel cravings for salty snacks, you may actually need that sodium, so absolutely go for it! I don't like pork rinds very much, so I tend to eat a handful of nuts as my salty snack. I also like beef jerky, but it makes me sad that they all seem to have a few grams of added sugar. We need keto-jerky!
    I am very curious now about using pork rinds for breading and binder. I saw that in a meatloaf recipe, but haven't tried it yet.
    I have read on some sites that with such a high-fat diet, we should be conscientious about the types of fat we are eating. Focus on getting more healthy fats (olives, nuts, avocado) and ensure that you are getting adequate Omega 3 (fatty fish like salmon).
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »

I used to get butter on saltines when I was sick as a kid. I miss it sometimes as a comfort food when I have the sniffles. I will TOTALLY try this idea. lol

That was totally a staple for me too when I was sick as a kid. My grandma would make me buttered saltines and a cup of tea with milk/sugar...is that a midwest thing?

I use pork rinds for all the things mentioned above...eat with salsa or cream cheese or as a binder in meatloaf. I've also melted some butter/sweetener/cinnamon and poured them over plain rinds for a "churro" type treat.
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A lot of people, particularly just starting on keto, have a sodium deficiency due to losing a lot of water weight. If you feel cravings for salty snacks, you may actually need that sodium, so absolutely go for it! I don't like pork rinds very much, so I tend to eat a handful of nuts as my salty snack. I also like beef jerky, but it makes me sad that they all seem to have a few grams of added sugar. We need keto-jerky!
    I am very curious now about using pork rinds for breading and binder. I saw that in a meatloaf recipe, but haven't tried it yet.
    I have read on some sites that with such a high-fat diet, we should be conscientious about the types of fat we are eating. Focus on getting more healthy fats (olives, nuts, avocado) and ensure that you are getting adequate Omega 3 (fatty fish like salmon).

I buy Duke's Original Shorty Smoked Sausages from Costco. Only 1g of carbs per serving (2 sticks) and none of the funky stuff I find in a lot of jerky! Not exactly "jerky" as its more sausage-ish, but it does the trick.

I've really tried to like pork rinds, but I just can't seem to do it. I've tried probably half a dozen different kinds/flavors, they just don't do anything for me. Especially when heated. That rubbery texture.... *shudder* But I do like to use them as coating/filler in fried foods, casseroles, meatloaf, etc.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I buy Duke's Original Shorty Smoked Sausages

Those are the BEST meat sticks! We always have a bag in the house. All natural too.

• bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like pork rinds but only with a good dip. Spinich, guac, ranch, etc. For me they add a bacon flavor to the snack.
    I tried as bread crumbs and smashed them, but I think they need to go in a processor to really work.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My thing when I was a kid was buttered saltines with yellow mustard squirted on them. I've always been a fan of sour and tangy and bitter foods. I ate lemons (skins too) when I was a baby. Weird, I know.