Keto Flu is Killing Me!

Options
I've read as much info as I can on what I can do to get over this keto 'flu,' but no matter what I add (fat, electrolytes, water), I just can't shake it. I am on day 5 since starting. Is this something everyone just has to go through to get to a ketone burning machine? Please help me with remedies for getting over this bone weariness and soreness.

Replies

• NikaChartrand
    NikaChartrand Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound strange, but try drinking a little pickle juice. When I was going through keto flu, I drank some straight from the jar (I was desperate, you can use a glass :D ) and the symptoms started subsiding within 15 or 20 minutes.
  • StrangeKraem
    StrangeKraem Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My keto flu was (is) absolutely horrid as well! I started drinking a glass of pink Himalayan salt water (just a regular glass of water with one tablespoon of salt) in the morning and took another one as soon as I started feeling any ache or nausea, and kept doing that throughout the day. Really helped me in that regard!

I am however still struggling with feeling fatigued, anything that requires me to stand up for more than 5 minutes makes me dizzy and light headed, and soon thereafter the lactic acid feelings kicks in (much sooner if I am actually doing something - never have my cat been this heavy!
  • 357girl
    357girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of ancient nutrision's collagen bone broth, pure (it's beef flavored) with 1/4 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp morton's lite salt and I haven't had any flu symptoms. I do feel a little weaker than usual, but otherwise feel okay. Morton's lite salt has 350mg potassium and 290 mg sodium in a 1/4 tsp. I also take magnesium at night.
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I plan on purchasing Himalayan Salt (unprocessed salt ;) ) soon to add to my water to give me an electrolyte boost, as well continue to take my daily multi-vitamin.
  • camill827
    camill827 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got up early on my second day and ate 1/4 banana and a cup of broth and in an hour felt like a new person!
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    camill827 wrote: »
    I got up early on my second day and ate 1/4 banana and a cup of broth and in an hour felt like a new person!

No bananas dear, you will burn carbs instead of fat. Eat more green vegetables, and eat more fat...just saying! Also, add more electrolytes (that is my goal too). Good luck dear!
  • gerryh31
    gerryh31 Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You need to increase your electrolytes especially magnesium and potassium, but avoid bananas as they are high in carbs and the carbs/ potassium ratio. Is not good. I’ve did something similar to 357girl’s recommendation and mix a glass of water Himalayan salt, and “no salt” which is basically potassium chloride, lemon juice and stevia. Take first thing in the morning and periodically during the day as needed. Just mix the salts to taste, you don’t need a lot of the salts, a dash or a little more is enough. If you work out at a little of your work or use an off the shelf electrolyte mix like Vega sport or Dr Berg are examples. Good luck
  • anelyaG
    anelyaG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    gerryh31 wrote: »
    You need to increase your electrolytes especially magnesium and potassium, .... mix a glass of water Himalayan salt ... you don’t need a lot of the salts, a dash or a little more is enough.
    - just read up on the Himalayan salt - it's a great idea to add! Thank you!