Some help targeting glutes please?

Options
Aqualang26
Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
Hey ladies! Really hoping for some guidance here ...

I'm an apple shape and have never had a butt, let alone a pretty round one. Just hips to thighs really. I desperately want to change that!

I've been doing bodyweight lunges and squats, hip abductors, stair ergo, and leg presses and, while there's the very slightest hint of improvement, I'm still bootieless.

I try to get the form right, but maybe I'm not. My quads are strong and want to do all of the work.

Any tips?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To grow the glutes can be slow (genetics can definitely be a factor), it requires proper training as well as ideally a surplus or at least eating at maintenance (although this will be a lot slower). If you are eating in a deficit to lose weight, you may see some improvement but it won't be too significant unfortunately.

I would recommend following a program like Strong Curves for best results.
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Not what I was hoping to hear exactly, but I appreciate the response very much.

My genes are definitely not helping my jeans, and I am eating at a deficit.

I hear people recommend Smart Curves a lot. Maybe I'll swap out SL5X5 for it.

Thanks again for the info.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Can totally empathise. I have no bum. :( I’ve been doing hip thrusts with dumbbells at home and it feels like it is activating my lazy backside but too early to tell if it will make any difference. Thinking of getting resistance bands to use to do sideways clams etc.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I’m eating at deficit and was very disappointed to come to the realisation that I couldn’t grow my backside whilst losing fat :(
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    aliblain wrote: »
    I’m eating at deficit and was very disappointed to come to the realisation that I couldn’t grow my backside whilst losing fat :(

For what it's worth, any fat you have on your thighs that you lose will help make it look like you've got more glutes. :)
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I would comment for anyone who comes in looking for a similar answer. It sounds like a lot of the “glute” work you’re doing it more quad dominate exercises. I would definitely read strong curves. It goes a lot into proper glute activation and more glute building exercising.
  • roxskow
    roxskow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I would comment for anyone who comes in looking for a similar answer. It sounds like a lot of the “glute” work you’re doing it more quad dominate exercises. I would definitely read strong curves. It goes a lot into proper glute activation and more glute building exercising.

What she said! Start working that posterior chain w/o quad engagement :)