Intermittent LC or Carb Scheduling (whatever this is called)

Options
blambo61
blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
edited March 2018 in Social Groups
I don't have a medical condition that requires me to go LC and I love carbs but am trying to use it as a tool for weight loss. I'm an IFer and typically do a 20:4 schedule. I also run 3xweek. My plan for LC is to eat normal carbs nights before I run so I'm a little better fueled while doing my runs after a 19-hr fast (I do take a little coconut oil before I go) and then after the run, eat a LC dinner. That will keep me low carb tell the next evening when I break my fast. I think I can do that kind of a LC schedule. Will see how it goes. Did this yesterday (LC meal after the fast and the run) and seriously shed some glycogen/water as I was a couple lbs down from the day before. Will see how it impacts overall weight loss.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Keep us posted! I've long been out of weight loss mode and my focus has expanded to research (not delving into it deeply) in recent months leaning towards Carb Cycling, Refeed and Diet Breaks. I think what you are referring to is carb cycling? There are some really interesting studies out there regarding all three. I try to read and listen to podcasts by not only the keto/low carb advocates but those in the body building world. If you've not read or listened to stuff by Eric Helms, Lyle McDonald, Layne Norton to name a few, it may be worth your time.

I think there are a few folks here who have engaged in carb cycling in the past or currently and can share their experiences.

When you say "normal carb" do you mean something above your "normal low carb"? Like alternating high carb, low carb days with the high carb day being the meal before your run the next day? It stands to reason that if "fueling up" improves your performance you could run "better", burn more energy than you might otherwise and effectively lose a bit more weight.

Anyway, post your progress. My recollection is you've been engaged in low carb, running, not needing to track calories and intermittent fasting for quite a while so I'm guessing you new experimentation is increasing carbs above your norm and timed around your workouts. Yes?
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I also do an IF 20:4 eating Keto and noticed a huge difference in loss of inches, a plateau break, and lower blood sugar readings. My goal is to do EF a couple of times a week, but it's going to take a while for me to get there. I'm working on "reversal" of my Type 2 diabetes reversal and it is working!

Yes, please keep us posted on your results!
  • blambo61
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Keep us posted! I've long been out of weight loss mode and my focus has expanded to research (not delving into it deeply) in recent months leaning towards Carb Cycling, Refeed and Diet Breaks. I think what you are referring to is carb cycling? There are some really interesting studies out there regarding all three. I try to read and listen to podcasts by not only the keto/low carb advocates but those in the body building world. If you've not read or listened to stuff by Eric Helms, Lyle McDonald, Layne Norton to name a few, it may be worth your time.

I think there are a few folks here who have engaged in carb cycling in the past or currently and can share their experiences.

When you say "normal carb" do you mean something above your "normal low carb"? Like alternating high carb, low carb days with the high carb day being the meal before your run the next day? It stands to reason that if "fueling up" improves your performance you could run "better", burn more energy than you might otherwise and effectively lose a bit more weight.

Anyway, post your progress. My recollection is you've been engaged in low carb, running, not needing to track calories and intermittent fasting for quite a while so I'm guessing you new experimentation is increasing carbs above your norm and timed around your workouts. Yes?

Thanks for the reference and I do believe this is a form of carb cycling. By normal carbs, I mean I don't restrict them. I'm not trying to load up on them but will have bread, legumes, fruit, milk, etc and maybe even some sugary deserts. That is kind of normal for me. On the low carb dinners, I eat a large salad with meat, steamed vegetables with cheese, and some homemade plain buttermilk (tastes like yogurt or I couldn't drink it). I'm trying to add in more LC days is the change, not increasing carbs on the non-low carb days. Thanks
  • blambo61
    Options
    I also do an IF 20:4 eating Keto and noticed a huge difference in loss of inches, a plateau break, and lower blood sugar readings. My goal is to do EF a couple of times a week, but it's going to take a while for me to get there. I'm working on "reversal" of my Type 2 diabetes reversal and it is working!

Yes, please keep us posted on your results!

EF? Extended Fasting or did you mean IF? Nice that your protocol is working for you!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Carb Backloading is another performance related timed eating plan. John Kiefer is the person I see most often associated with it.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    3 days per week running...are those consecutive days in a row or spread out every other day? Might be more feasible to carb-up if these are consecutive running days, otherwise you will be in-limbo going back & forth constantly. I'm not saying it wouldn't be doable, but you might struggle to keep this up initially & stick with it long term
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Take a look at ketogains for more ideas. Those guys have a few systems that really work for people.... but they are low carb.

I think most who carb cycle increase carbs around exercise and not the other way around. Unless you are fat adapted, I imagine that could make it harder to tap into energy for exercise.

I am not well versed in carb cycling though. :)

One thing to consider would be extra sodium around low carb times. That water loss will take sodium with it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would reverse your high/low carb days. I would do low carb the days you are NOT running, and then have a high carb meal to replace the lost glycogen after running.

You are fasting before you run, so eating carbs the day before is not going to matter much - the simple act of fasting is going to reduce your available liver/muscle glycogen prior to your run.

Having the carbs after running should speed muscle recovery and replenish those lost energy stores.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Rx_Keto wrote: »
    3 days per week running...are those consecutive days in a row or spread out every other day? Might be more feasible to carb-up if these are consecutive running days, otherwise you will be in-limbo going back & forth constantly. I'm not saying it wouldn't be doable, but you might struggle to keep this up initially & stick with it long term

I run every other day. I don't think it will be a problem. What has been a problem for me in the past is putting consecutive LC days in. I do a 20:4 IF and Iike the higher carb days the night before the run and the LC days the day of the run. I do that to be better fueled for the run and to extend the LC state after the run to the next evening.
  • blambo61
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If it were me, I would reverse your high/low carb days. I would do low carb the days you are NOT running, and then have a high carb meal to replace the lost glycogen after running.

You are fasting before you run, so eating carbs the day before is not going to matter much - the simple act of fasting is going to reduce your available liver/muscle glycogen prior to your run.

Having the carbs after running should speed muscle recovery and replenish those lost energy stores.

I need the carbs to get through the run. I diet (lose weight) to run. I don't run to diet (lose weight) although it helps! I do think the fast does deplete the liver glycogen but not so much the muscle glycogen. Since the liver is depleted, I run out of gas 35-40 minutes into a run if I don't eat some carbs or take some coconut oil. If I take those things before the run (100kcal or so) I can run a full hour at good strength no problem. I usually eat just the coconut oil before the run but I can tell I'm better fueled if I had carbs the night before than if I don't. I'm probably no where fat adapted as a lot of folks here. I want the LC state after the run to force the body to go to fat stores. I have tried it the other way around, but this seems to work better for me.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ever try just going full LC with no cycling? Some endurance runners do this (no bonking benefit) supplemented with fast acting MCTs (instead of gels/gatorades etc.) for intra workout energy needs. Sure, performance might suffer a bit initially until you adapt
  • blambo61
    Options
    Rx_Keto wrote: »
    Ever try just going full LC with no cycling? Some endurance runners do this (no bonking benefit) supplemented with fast acting MCTs (instead of gels/gatorades etc.) for intra workout energy needs. Sure, performance might suffer a bit initially until you adapt

I only tried this for a week and it was real hard. Since I don't have a medical need, I'm not interested in doing that.