Dry fasting

Options
cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
Does anyone have an experience with dry fasting?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    We have Islamic friends who do it, but I have never seen a medical benefit to dehydration, and the spiritual benefits don't apply to my situation.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm only familiar with its very short use in body building competitions and photo shoots in order to dehydrate your body for additional muscle definition.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I saw on YouTube, some people have experienced healing medical issues with dry fasting. Not much info about it tho
  • KowboyKraka
    KowboyKraka Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    Does anyone have an experience with dry fasting?

I just started yesterday. I am 25 hours into it. I was previously doing keto and stared working my calories down over the past week. I also drank 2 gallons of water on Sunday and a gallon Monday. I started at 8pm after my workout Monday night.

I am not doing this for any kind of spiritual purpose, just trying to drop a couple pounds. I have been doing really well with low carb keeping my carbs under 20 net. Since June 1, I am down 33lbs. I stalled for a week or so, so that is why I am using this to kind of break that plateau. I am shooting for a Friday weigh in, so I will update when I get to that point.

My starting weight Monday morning was 229.8 and Tuesday morning I came in at 227.5. I have to be at 214 by Aug 25th, so I am on a time crunch. I am in the military and have to get off the weight program, that is really the only reason I am doing this. Once I hit my weight I will be able to go back to eating my normal keto diet.

I also normally run about 20 miles a week, but I think I am not going to push my body this week while doing this fast. Just go to work and then relax after. I took a 4.5hr nap today after work.
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What is it about? You fast without drinking water?
  • KowboyKraka
    Options
    jrmie333 wrote: »

Yes, it is a total dry fast. No food, No water. There are two types Soft and Hard. Soft, you can still brush your teeth, shower, deodorant. Hard, none of that. I am doing a soft because well, I don't wanna stink and like a fresh mouth. From what I have read and watched, there isn't much difference effects wise between the two. Just personal preference.

Here is a great video on the subject.
    https://youtu.be/VUsRld1K8Eo
  • KowboyKraka
    Options
    Update: I did drink 8oz of water yesterday because I had a pretty hectic day yesterday at work. But here is what has gone down so far.

Mon 8/13: 229.8 (baseline)
    Tue 8/14: 227.5
    Wed 8/15: 224.3 (drank 8oz water)
    Thu 8/16: 221.3

So down 8.5lbs in 3 days. I think I am going to continue through the weekend since I won't be working and I can just lounge around all day. I have 7.3 lbs to go to my first goal of 214.

I have to go get an MRA done on my shoulder tmrw so they will be injecting a dye, so hopefully that doesn't affect anything.

I will update on Monday morning of how the weekend went.
  • KowboyKraka
    Options
    Just weighed in and I am 214.8. Which is my goal, so I am now going to soak up some fluids and watermelon today. Tmrw I will eat some solid food.

So my conclusion is Dry fasting works very well if you are trying to lose lbs. My suggestion is not doing it for long term. If you want to do a 72hr, that is probably fine, but longer than that just sux. Unless you are in a controlled environment and can relax all week and do nothing, then I say go for it.

I would also suggest just do an intermittent dry fast. Just do a 23:1. Dry fast for 23 hours and then eat and drink and be merry in that hour that you have. I thing you will still see great results and your body won't have to go through so much strain.
  • jrmie333
    Options
    jrmie333 wrote: »

Yes, it is a total dry fast. No food, No water. There are two types Soft and Hard. Soft, you can still brush your teeth, shower, deodorant. Hard, none of that. I am doing a soft because well, I don't wanna stink and like a fresh mouth. From what I have read and watched, there isn't much difference effects wise between the two. Just personal preference.

Here is a great video on the subject.
    https://youtu.be/VUsRld1K8Eo

Thanks
  • jrmie333
    Options
    Just weighed in and I am 214.8. Which is my goal, so I am now going to soak up some fluids and watermelon today. Tmrw I will eat some solid food.

So my conclusion is Dry fasting works very well if you are trying to lose lbs. My suggestion is not doing it for long term. If you want to do a 72hr, that is probably fine, but longer than that just sux. Unless you are in a controlled environment and can relax all week and do nothing, then I say go for it.

I would also suggest just do an intermittent dry fast. Just do a 23:1. Dry fast for 23 hours and then eat and drink and be merry in that hour that you have. I thing you will still see great results and your body won't have to go through so much strain.

Wow ....fantastic results. I shall do it next year sometimes after weaning my baby of nursing. But it's good to know for sure. Thank you for sharing.