Keto beginner help

So i am starting keto today- excited but nervous there is a lot of information out there. My height is 5'4 weight is 168 lbs.

I used a keto calculator online.. so I will aim for 1287 calories with
20g carbs/ 90g protein / 94 g fat
So 6% / 28%/66%

Any beginner tips and guide for me? I'm a bit overwhelmed and confused because I got there was so much information online but I finally decided to go with this calculator does it seem correct. Thanks so much guys:) success stories and motivation will help as well ready to kick-start this

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2018

Which calculator did you use? I'll post something that was posted just a couple of days ago:

ottl275s60qj.jpeg

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    I recommend Reddit Keto's FAQ: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I see OP you started another identical thread. Did you read through the link @baconslave posted above?

I'll add: there is no one size fits all. Your macros look fine to me. Try it for a month and see if it is effective for you. There is no need to be nervous. You are still just eating at a deficit for weight loss. Your chosen way to meet that deficit is keto. I personally see that as advantageous because keto does suppress hunger in most people and reduce cravings both of which make adherence to the deficit easier.

As per the info graph above, pay attention to intentional increased sodium intake if you have no medical reason not to increase it. If you start feeling lethargic or nauseous, get a hit of salt via drinking salty boullion or making a saltier than Gatorade salty drink and drinking it. Like about a half o' teaspoon or so in some water with something like Mio if you need flavor. Increased sodium/salt is a remedy for "keto flu" symptoms. Nausea and lethargy are symptoms of keto flu.

There is usually an initial water whoosh on keto from eating fewer carbs. This water weight loss is great but with the water, so goes sodium so you need to replenish. Increased sodium does not cause water retention in most people who are eating very low carb/keto so no need to worry about that-If you are, in fact, healthy and not on any type of sodium restriction. I personally don't need the amount recommended in the info graph but many do.~3000 mg is enough for me. 3000 is certainly higher than my non keto intake.