Talking about low carb eating

Options
elisabel
elisabel Posts: 242 Member
I made the mistake of speaking about low carb eating at work. Lesson learned, people just don't get it and think you are trying to starve yourself. It's a bit complicated to explain keto, so I just let it go. I said oh so you think I should increase my carbs...well I'll look at that and adjust...

What have you guys experienced when talking about low carb eating to people?

I am a keto newbie, I've been doing this for 9 days. I have been reading about keto for over 6 months and I have changed my carb consumption very slowly before fully trying keto. It's been a little over a week and I feel great. I lost some weight, i bought the urine dipstick (reading has gotten darker as the week has gone on) overall that part is going well...that's only partially why I'm doing this, I can lose weight on any diet. The problem is that I usually don't stick it out and it feels so punitive. I have an incredibly ridiculous hunger problem...this way of eating is the first time in my life that I can have a meal and feel full and ok. It's incredible to not have uncontrollable hunger.

I'm so grateful for this group, I love reading everyones input! :)

Replies

• MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    elisabel wrote: »
    I made the mistake of speaking about low carb eating at work. Lesson learned, people just don't get it and think you are trying to starve yourself. It's a bit complicated to explain keto, so I just let it go. I said oh so you think I should increase my carbs...well I'll look at that and adjust...

What have you guys experienced when talking about low carb eating to people?

I am a keto newbie, I've been doing this for 9 days. I have been reading about keto for over 6 months and I have changed my carb consumption very slowly before fully trying keto. It's been a little over a week and I feel great. I lost some weight, i bought the urine dipstick (reading has gotten darker as the week has gone on) overall that part is going well...that's only partially why I'm doing this, I can lose weight on any diet. The problem is that I usually don't stick it out and it feels so punitive. I have an incredibly ridiculous hunger problem...this way of eating is the first time in my life that I can have a meal and feel full and ok. It's incredible to not have uncontrollable hunger.

I'm so grateful for this group, I love reading everyones input! :)

In a YouTube video I watched recently (she is on Keto too), a young lady said this was one of her mistakes, telling people she was dieting. I am not telling anyone. The only people that know what I am doing are my family and friends that need to know...and that is on "a need to know basis"...simply put, "It is nobody's d@!m business." It is your life, your body, you have to make the ultimate decision in whatever you choose to do in life.

You and I must have started about the same time (March 1st). I will weigh myself April 1st to see the results from month-to-month. This is better for me this way, if not, I can become so obsessed with the scale. I am the tortoise in my journey...slow and steady win the race.

Best Wishes to you on your journey Elisabel!
  • sallyann8
    sallyann8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My sons know and they're really supportive, I haven't told friends, I've just told them I'm not eating bread anymore and when we go out I generally choose salad. I've got a meal out at an Italian restaurant at the end of the month so not sure how I'll handle that!
  • Lessofamy
    Lessofamy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found the same thing with co-workers and some family. I just bring my own food to family functions. Work is easy because I bring my lunch everyday. Some people just don't get it and that is ok.
  • jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all. I don’t tell people because they just don’t get it.
    @elisabel , I can tell you that I did what you did and transitioned slowly, by the time my Ketostix showed a change, I was so energetic, I just couldn’t stop. My mental clarity at work was amazing. I think that is what speed must feel like.
    I just got back from 10 days holiday. It was just too hard for me to stick with it for the entire time. I am off on another 5 week trip in two more weeks. I hope to be back in full keto by the time I leave.
  • mrs_BF
    mrs_BF Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My husband and close co-workers have been very supportive, so it’s been relatively easy. We have tons of potlucks at work, so I’ll usually just say no to things and people tend to not force feed. I’m only on my 4th week, and it has its struggles (calorie wise!), but it’s been tolerable since telling the people I’m close with. Although, that doesn’t stop them from occasionally teasing me by biting into a donut in front of my face! :D