Keto and gaining weight!

noorapu1000
noorapu1000 Posts: 37 Member
Hi, I have been on keto from January. So far I was losing weight a small amount at a time but steadily. But last week I have gain 2 Ib. I used the scale that says your body fat %. Its showing higher number than before. 28.3 was last week but this week its 28.6. I understand weight fluctuate due to water retention and also muscle gain if you are doing intermittent fasting. But what about fat gain? I am not doing any exercise currently.
Could anyone of you plz look at my food dairy and say what's going wrong?

Thank you!

Replies

• JaznJamie
    JaznJamie Posts: 12 Member
    I haven’t looked at your food diary, but I too have a scale that measures body fat %. One thing to keep in mind is, if your not hydrated well then your body fat % will be higher. In other words dehydration makes your body fat % increase. Hope this helps. And good luck.
  • noorapu1000
    Thank you so much! I think that exactly what might have been happening last week. I was so busy with work forgot to keep count on my water intake.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Your food diary needs to be set to public in order for random others to see it. You may have it set to private or friends only.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    We retain water for many many reasons randomly. Those body fat measurements on the scales are inaccurate. If you gain 2lb and keep it over more than a few weeks, then worry. Otherwise it's just water retention.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I also did not look at your diary, but my body fat% fluctuates a bit from day to day... my home scale always matches within 0.3%-0.4% of Dexa on the same days, but there is still some fluctuation up/down from day to day. A less accurate scale may fluctuate even more.

Still, I would remind you that it is possible to gain body fat even when eating a very low carb diet. If you want to use body fat for energy, provide yourself with less dietary fat to use for energy each day. This is something that, like weight, should be viewed over time rather than focusing on day-to-day fluctuations.
  • noorapu1000
    sorry @kpk54 I am going to do that right now. I can use some insight from fellow ketoer!
    Thank you all for your input.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    After looking through about a week and a half of your food diary, I personally think your slight weight gain has more to do with your jump in carbs from what seems like your normal 20-30g/carbs per day to 50-70g/carbs per day. I would lose the medjool dates (pretty much no nutritional value because they are literally all carbs and sugar) and the bananas (fruit - called nature's candy for a reason...again, all carbs and sugar)..both do nothing for you except spike your insulin and blood glucose levels (if that matters to you). Also, Canola oil is not a healthy oil to be using...technically, it's a registered pesticide with the FDA (and yes, you can look this up on their website too but it takes some digging around to find it). Suggest olive oil, coconut oil, butter, lard or tallow, etc. instead.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2018
    sorry @kpk54 I am going to do that right now. I can use some insight from fellow ketoer!
    Thank you all for your input.
    Hi, I have been on keto from January. So far I was losing weight a small amount at a time but steadily. But last week I have gain 2 Ib. I used the scale that says your body fat %. Its showing higher number than before. 28.3 was last week but this week its 28.6. I understand weight fluctuate due to water retention and also muscle gain if you are doing intermittent fasting. But what about fat gain? I am not doing any exercise currently.
    Could anyone of you plz look at my food dairy and say what's going wrong?

Thank you!

Were you tracking elsewhere in January or not tracking at all? I saw no January entries. Tracking started on February 5, with 5 additional empty days in February. You must be doing something right since you have lost 13 pounds (if your ticker is correct) in a little over a month of tracking. Kudos on that!

I'm not as particular as some regarding specific foods though dates and bananas are not typically keto friendly. You didn't eat them often. You have a few days where carbs were over 60 though your net was considerably lower. You had one day with over ~170 carbs. Did that set you back a few days i.e gained some water weight then had to wait to re-lose so slowing down your average weight loss?

Average calories seem in line being somewhere between 1300-1400 average. It's just a guess. That's about what I ate when about your weight. I'm 5'6", Female and was probably older (59-60 at the time). I had to do some serious exercise (for me) to lose in addition to eating at a deficit. I didn't see any indication of exercise in your diary though many people don't track exercise. Never mind, I see you indicated you're not exercising.

You do seem to have some odd "numbers" regarding some of your beef entries. Just as 1 example you have 1 entry of "16 oz beef" at 560 calories. I have no idea what type of beef it was. If it was something similar to 93/7, 560 might be close. If it was something like a ribeye, that would be more like 1300 calories. You have another entry of "beef cooked 8 ounces" @ 280 calories. That one could be off considerably also. Depends on the cut of beef. And there are others. Curries for example. Lots of curries. Homemade and build in the recipe builder or did you verify some other way?

I'd tighten up your tracking. A suggestion is to use USDA entries. You'll find several entries for most food product in the database but compare them and find the one that occurs the most (if not wanting to go to the USDA site). There are many inaccurate entries in the MFP database. Even those that are USDA (because most are user entries). The ones that have the "check mark" as being verified aren't always accurate either.

Also avocados. They're pretty calorie dense. I'd refrain from using entries that state something like "medium". If your medium isn't someone else's medium and is 2 oz more, there's an extra hundred calories. Maybe use a food scale for calorie dense items...since you're questioning your weight loss rate.

I hope some part of that is helpful. You eat a lot of almonds. I do too. How heaping is ".25 cup"? There are about 7 calories in an almond. I can heap a quarter cup pretty high then snatch a few more from the bag before I put it back in the refrigerator/freezer. ;)

13 pounds since the beginning of the year (or February)? That's more than a pound per week....

• noorapu1000
    lots of calories is from database that kind of resemble what I am eating but not exactly. All the meals are home cooked. I just don't know how to count the total calories for those meals that I cook. Usually in meat curry I would add ginger ,garlic ,onion, coriander ,cumin, turmeric etc and oil also tomatoes. cook about 2.5 lb beef with bone ( I am guessing in them probably 1.5 lb would be bone or goat meat with bone and eat for several days. Its like indian or Bengali style curry. So I was basically putting those number that might be close. But you are right, I should try to make my own food database, I guess.
    I did not track in January. So the total weight loss is from January until now.
    For the nuts, I actually count them, maximum I eat 24.but some days less than that.
    I guess the combination of eating meat ,avocadoes and nuts might be the clue.
    Thank you so much for your kind reply.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    There is a recipe builder and a my foods feature in MFP where you can actually "Creat a food" or add a recipe. You just scan the bar-codes of the ingredients and plug in the amount you used, tell MFP how many serving you expect to get out of it, and it will tell you the rest.
  • noorapu1000
    thank you! @ladipoet