whole milk Vs light cream!

noorapu1000
noorapu1000 Posts: 37 Member
Which one you would like to add to your coffee? If I add milk its lower the fat intake but if I add milk is has sugar. Not sure what would be the best case for me? I am trying to reduce my fat intake to speed up the fat loss.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• noorapu1000
    sorry I meant to say if I add light cream its uppen the fat intake but if I add milk it has more sugar.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    It really doesn't work that way. Fat does not make you fat. If you have MFP set up properly, you are already eating at a calorie deficit and you really have no need to create a larger deficit. Too large of a deficit often results too much restriction, hunger, failure.

Choose light cream. It's lower in carbs and since you're eating keto, carbs are what you want to limit.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I had a similar dilemma since I am a hard core coffee drinker. I settled for half and half to lighten it up and have been successful with it for a few years. The added carbs really do limit my other food choices since I try to stay at 21; but I'm okay with that and it works for me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Your body is smart. On Keto, you don't need to specifically reduce fat. You need to keep carbs to a limit, be sure to hit your protein goal, and fill in fats only to satiety.

If you are always hungry, and the body never gets satiated, you will be in a perpetual stress situation - which will prevent you from losing weight.

In ketosis, you, 99.99% of the time, want to cut any sugars/carbs first (I'm sure there might be an exception somewhere, but none immediately come to mind). The body can always metabolize the fat...but sugars will actually stop nutritional ketosis. It is possible to lose weight on low carbs without NK, BUT every time you have actual sugars, your body releases insulin to process and deal with that sugar. Any time the body releases insulin - IT STOPS BURNING FAT...

So in this case, if you want to SPEED UP THE FAT BURNING, skip all the sugars/as many carbs as you humanly can.**

**That does not work for everyone.

Additionally, excessive intentional calorie restriction also puts the body in a state of stress that make healthy weight loss harder....
  • noorapu1000
    thank you all for your quick response!
  • noorapu1000
    I am little confused about how some people suggest that you have to take more fat than protein and others suggest that focus only eating low carb but not too much fat intake and also lower your protein. So whats the limit I should focus on? I am currently 178 . 5' 3.5" Trying to lose at least 40 lb.
    Currently my macros are carb 20, protein 85, fat 102 gram. any suggestion?
  • noorapu1000
    Actually I just changed it to total cal 1600. Carb 20 g, protein 80 g, fat 133g. 5% carb,20% protein, 75% fat. Is the calorie intake would be too much if its 1600?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    This is a quote of a post I made in another thread:
    baconslave wrote: »
    Fat only becomes a problem in reference to macros in 2 instances:
    When it is so high that it forces your protein down too low.
    When it is so high that it causes you to go over your calories.

Macros formation priority:
    1. Meet your protein needs.
    2. Stay at under your carbs.
    3. Fat is the adjustable macro. You eat more fat if your calorie needs go up. You eat less as it goes down.

Low-enough-carbs is all that is required for ketosis. When carbs are low, and protein needs are met, you're going to have a fair amount of intake left that is going to be fat. Which is fine, as fat is good for your body. It keeps your hormone levels on even keel. It's satiating for many. It helps that it is tasty. :wink: But raising or lowering the fat in itself isn't going to increase weight loss if you are hitting your calorie target. What was that? More or less fat doesn't matter as far as weight loss in general. Intaking less calories (energy) than you burn does. But...

Too much fat happens when you either aren't getting enough protein, or you are overeating. The problem with all the info from the Keto-Gurus is that they obsess over the fat unnecessarily. On the one hand, we've been fighting back against the inaccurate fat-phobia that had infested recommendations for many years, so that fat-emphasis makes sense. However, there's still such a thing as too much. If you aren't doing medical keto (like for epilepsy), then you don't need to go by percents. They are worthless. Macros should be in grams; meet your carbs and protein; fill the rest of calories in fat.

All weight loss equals some muscle loss so you want to be sure to decrease the amount lost as much as possible. How? Get enough protein for your height, weight, and activity level. If you use all your calories up on fat, you aren't going to achieve that. Too much intake of total calories is too much and you won't lose. Too little protein will affect your health, whether or not you are losing weight.

So to answer your original question, pick whichever works best for your goals. Pick the one that will allow you to stay under your carb goal, AND meet your protein requirements. Remember though, that cream has carbs. Cream has up to .5g carbs per serving. So that's .5g per tbsp. Companies are just allowed to lie and say it's zero if it's that little. Whole milk is .75g carb per tbsp.

Personally, I am 10lb from my goal. I have to eagle-eye cals very closely. I choose the milk. It's a tad over 9 cals per tbsp vs. a possible 30-40 cals for the same amount of light cream. I can use those extra calories on stuff I can chew.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited March 2018
    Actually I just changed it to total cal 1600. Carb 20 g, protein 80 g, fat 133g. 5% carb,20% protein, 75% fat. Is the calorie intake would be too much if its 1600?

Remember, percentages in "weight loss keto" mean nothing really.
    Input your stats here.
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
    I can't accurately input yours since I don't know your estimated body fat%.
    But for your height, weight, age, you'll only maintain at 1600 based on the made-up number I put in since you are sedentary.
    Keep protein and carbs the same. Decrease your calorie intake of fat.

I mean, you can try at 1600 and see how you do. If after 4 weeks you aren't losing, then you could shave off 50-100 from that and try again. Calculators are just estimates.
  • noorapu1000
    Thank you @ baconslave . This is the first time i finally got some clear answere since i started keto. All the youtube gurus made me very confused so far!