Type II Diabetes

Options
Hope some others join this group. I was diagnosed last November. Have been following a low-carb, high fat diet that worked at first. But now I'm having a hard time following it. And from day one I have worried about the "high-fat" part of the LCHF plan. Am seriously considering going back to just an old-fashioned diet eating carefully from all the food groups, limiting carbs but not cutting them out altogether. Kinda wondering what other people think about this.

Replies

• tdld
    tdld Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm a Type II Diabetic and though I primarily use My Fitness Pal to log my meals, I was browsing the various groups and discussions and thought this one would be greatly beneficial. I've been struggling with carbs and high glucose levels and I really need to change my meal plans.

I hope more people join this group - I am more of a lurker so I'm not sure how much I will actually contribute to this group. I plan to be active but it isn't a role I am comfortable with.

Will try my best!

With that said...

Have you seen the Diabetic Pyramid? http://www.ourfamilydoctors.net/diabetes_pyramid.php
    I don't personally agree with 6-11 servings of grains and starches per day, I had read a while back that 'the' main food pyramid (which has the same amount of grains and starches) was wrong and actually caused overeating and weight gain due to not regulating serving sizes.

I personally think that people are different and have differences in nutritional needs beyond basic needs. What works for one person may not work for another so we have to figure out what will work for us.

I think depriving oneself is a setup for failure. I do, however, think we need to control portions. For instance, if you really need that dessert, just eat half and save the other half for the next day. Small changes like that will add up and make it easier to meet our nutritional needs while satisfying the cravings. At least that's what I'm working on for me. Everyone needs to find what works for them.
  • scubatroll
    scubatroll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I agree that the food pyramid is genuinely flawed. I too am using this site to chart my food and my macros. IT is the only way to really know haw many carbs and sugars I am taking in per day. A couple years ago I got up to 240 (my highest weight) and this is when the DR said I was pre-diabetic. I went on a Keto diet that morphed into a Paleo diet and I lost 20 lbs. But then my wife and I went on a cruise and that destroyed my routine.

I watched my weight start to go back up to 127 and at the same time the Dr. increased my meds to control my blood sugar. So I came back to this site, hoping to get a handle on my blood sugar and decrease my meds.

I'm not on Keto or Paleo anymore but still avoiding bread, grains, pasta and any starchy foods.
    My weight has now dropped to 213.

This blood sugar is so frustrating. Mine seems to go up at night so that it is higher in the morning than when I went to bed.
  • scubatroll
    Options
    "I watched my weight start to go back up to 127 " I meant 227
  • tdld
    tdld Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cruises are the worst for dieting!!!

I've been having the same problem with my morning sugar levels being higher than when going to bed.

I haven't completely stopped with starchy foods but I have cut out quite a bit. I know that the best way to control my glucose levels are with vegetables but when my sugar levels get down to 100 I panic and eat more carbs than I should.
  • grinchtoes03
    grinchtoes03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've just joined up looking for some good motivation to get started in losing weight again. My main goal is to get off some medication.

I also have issues with waking up with high sugar levels in the morning even when going to bed with a normal or low level...so frustrating. My A1C levels are usually just a little outside the normal range at 7.2 which ive noticed people putting levels of 300 there must be a different system that I would use lol
  • scubatroll
    Options
    Here is a conversion chart for blood sugar levels:
    http://www.joslin.org/info/conversion_table_for_blood_glucose_monitoring.html
  • jane1655
    jane1655 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic. My doctor recommended the myfitnesspal as I was a former WW member and found the app helpful to track my food. Nutritionist advised to track carb and not points so I quit WW. My bloodsugar has been higher than normal for the last 3 months. I need to get my numbers back under control as it is effecting my vision. Doctor has advised me to exercise 30 min a day as I work from home and don't get much activity. Before I was insulin dependent I manage my BS with diet and activity. (did that for 10 years). Never took oral drugs. After a pancreatitis attach I became insulin dependent. Seven years I have manage diabetes and kept numbers in a good place. 3 months ago doc changed me to a oral medication and lower the insulin. I have been a mess since. After one month on oral medicine I had a mild pancreatitis attach. Finally took me off the oral medication and am only on insulin again. Now to get these number back where they need to be... If I was eating cake I would take ownership that my BS was high but it is frustrating to say no thank you and still have high BS. The activity seems to be the key - on the days I am getting at least 30 min of activity my numbers are good. Need to stay motivated!!!

I notice some of you have high BS in AM (fasting) When this happen to me, my endocrinologist explain that my liver was dumping in the night because I was going too long without eating. I ate dinner around 6pm and would not eat again until AM breakfast. My body protects itself from Low BS and liver was dumping to add sugars to the bloodstream to keep BS from dropping - this caused the number to be higher because I went too long without food. The solution for me was to have some protein right before I went to bed so the liver would not dump in the night. I have small protein before bed and no longer have that issue. Ask your doctor?

How does activity effect your BS numbers?

• jmartika
    jmartika Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with diabetes type 2 after suffering significant blurred vision. I didn't know until I went to the hospital about my eyes. After checking my blood sugar and it being above 300, they attempted to lower it but I ended up being hospitalized. At the time I had no knowledge of anything regarding diabetes and how significantly high my blood sugar was. I was in the hospital for three days and they gave me insulin shots, that had no real effect on my blood sugar levels. When they finally let me leave they prescribed me with insulin and Metformin and personally I'm really afraid of needles. So I decided to do my own research and ultimately decided to not take the medication and attempt to eat significantly more healthy and exercise and track my blood sugar for a week and see what happens. I told myself if I didn't see changes I would start the medication regime. As soon as I got home my numbers declined daily. My fasting glucose levels went from 240 the first day of the week to 180 by the end of the week. Its only been 15 days and I've lost 10 pounds and my blood glucose levels are between 98-110. I eat a low carb (under 30 grams), moderate protein and fat diet. I'm hoping to share ideas and concerns with others who are also diabetic or prediabetic.
  • stpats63
    stpats63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 back in 2006. I have always taken care of my blood sugar levels for the most part, but around 3 years ago, I separated from my husband of 20 years and now I am living with my current boyfriend. We love food and we love to try new recipes and frequent restaurants in NYC. Unfortunately, my blood sugars were out of control. I would wake up with a blood sugar of 180-220 before breakfast! I am responsible for what happens and now up until 2 weeks ago, I was 280 pounds and I knew I had to do something before I die from complications. Thank God for this app, I've been following a low carbohydrate diet, eat smaller portions and stick to my calories everyday. So far I lost 11 pounds, I want to keep on going so I started at a gym also and I have a buddy that has been going with me. I don't subscribe to any one diet, but I do make sure that I stay away from sugar. I only eat sugars that are naturally in fruits and some vegetables, now my blood sugars have been down to 110-116. I really believe that diets have to be individualized, but there is one thing that my doctor told me long ago, and that was "never eat anything white, and only eat things that grow in the ground. No sugar or refined sugar, no flour, eat fruits and vegetables, no rice, no processed foods or pickled foods, no foods preserved or cured like ham, salami, and drink only water. Well its been only two weeks and its working. So I do believe hat I am on the same track as you Jmartika!
  • scubatroll
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Low carb, under 30 grams per day, seems to be the key for me. It is a tough diet to follow though. I have been able to go from 4 Metformin & 4 Glipizide's per day down to 2 Metformin and 1 Glipizide per day. I no longer say, "I can't eat bread". I now say," I don't eat bread" This change in thinking has helped with my cravings.
    Still it is not easy and requires discipline. I have to outlive my wife though so some other man doesn't spend all my money after I'm gone.
  • PeteKy
    PeteKy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about GI? My doc seems to think that's very important. He advised me not to worry too much about carbs in general as the body needs them for energy but to stay away from white starchy foods and sugary snacks. He said to eat whole grains and other carbs with a low GI.
  • PeteKy
    PeteKy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another thing my doc told me was to avoid blood sugar spikes by spacing out my eating throughout the day, eating more frequent smaller meals and including healthy snacks in between meals.
  • odomfel
    odomfel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been type 2 since 2010. I had my Triglycerides in the neighborhood of 10,000. 2 weeks in hospital and I was Insulin dependent. I was 270 at the time. I love to eat. I cook and I tend to over eat. Still do. BUT, I do watch what I make. Your liver is always making sugar for your body. more so overnight when you are sleeping to keep your motor running. That will be why your sugars are higher in the morning.

I also found a connection with the Triglycerides and your blood sugar. If your Trig's are higher, your BS readings will stubbornly stay higher. Your body needs to burn those off somehow. Once they start to lower, the BS readings will go lower. This is my chemistry at least.

Exercise cannot be more important.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    scubatroll wrote: »
    Low carb, under 30 grams per day, seems to be the key for me. It is a tough diet to follow though. I have been able to go from 4 Metformin & 4 Glipizide's per day down to 2 Metformin and 1 Glipizide per day. I no longer say, "I can't eat bread". I now say," I don't eat bread" This change in thinking has helped with my cravings.
    Still it is not easy and requires discipline. I have to outlive my wife though so some other man doesn't spend all my money after I'm gone.
    For me it’s 20 grams of carbs per day but it’s worth it and I can still eat well just different.
  • rmac18
    Options
    PeteKy wrote: »
    What about GI? My doc seems to think that's very important. He advised me not to worry too much about carbs in general as the body needs them for energy but to stay away from white starchy foods and sugary snacks. He said to eat whole grains and other carbs with a low GI.

Seems to me that everyone is different. I could eat a cup of plain steel cut oatmeal and see my blood sugar spike. Bacon and eggs and no problems. I couldn’t believe it at first but the results are consistent and repeatable for me even though others do very well on low GI carbs.
  • rmac18
    Options
    odomfel wrote: »
    I have been type 2 since 2010. I had my Triglycerides in the neighborhood of 10,000. 2 weeks in hospital and I was Insulin dependent. I was 270 at the time. I love to eat. I cook and I tend to over eat. Still do. BUT, I do watch what I make. Your liver is always making sugar for your body. more so overnight when you are sleeping to keep your motor running. That will be why your sugars are higher in the morning.

I also found a connection with the Triglycerides and your blood sugar. If your Trig's are higher, your BS readings will stubbornly stay higher. Your body needs to burn those off somehow. Once they start to lower, the BS readings will go lower. This is my chemistry at least.

Exercise cannot be more important.

Totally agree that exercise has a huge impact.
  • rmac18
    Options
    jmartika wrote: »
    I was just recently diagnosed with diabetes type 2 after suffering significant blurred vision. I didn't know until I went to the hospital about my eyes. After checking my blood sugar and it being above 300, they attempted to lower it but I ended up being hospitalized. At the time I had no knowledge of anything regarding diabetes and how significantly high my blood sugar was. I was in the hospital for three days and they gave me insulin shots, that had no real effect on my blood sugar levels. When they finally let me leave they prescribed me with insulin and Metformin and personally I'm really afraid of needles. So I decided to do my own research and ultimately decided to not take the medication and attempt to eat significantly more healthy and exercise and track my blood sugar for a week and see what happens. I told myself if I didn't see changes I would start the medication regime. As soon as I got home my numbers declined daily. My fasting glucose levels went from 240 the first day of the week to 180 by the end of the week. Its only been 15 days and I've lost 10 pounds and my blood glucose levels are between 98-110. I eat a low carb (under 30 grams), moderate protein and fat diet. I'm hoping to share ideas and concerns with others who are also diabetic or prediabetic.

Metformin seems to help me and I don’t see much in the way of downsides. I also want to avoid insulin shots. I found for me the limit was 20 grams of carbs with Metformin and regular exercise would produce an average of 91 mg/dl. I also do IF and don’t eat between 8 PM and Noon (other than coffee with sugar free creamer and MCT oil). I’m 2.5 months into this lifestyle change and have lost 35 lbs and kept blood sugar under control.
  • rmac18
    Options
    Hope some others join this group. I was diagnosed last November. Have been following a low-carb, high fat diet that worked at first. But now I'm having a hard time following it. And from day one I have worried about the "high-fat" part of the LCHF plan. Am seriously considering going back to just an old-fashioned diet eating carefully from all the food groups, limiting carbs but not cutting them out altogether. Kinda wondering what other people think about this.

I have similar concerns but 2.5 months into Keto diet and thrilled with the results in terms of blood sugar, weight loss and just generally feeling good. My doctor suggested that I need to lose another 55 lbs so I want to stay on current Keto plan of 20 grams of carbs with 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. Currently at 1,800 calories per day and working out 5x per week. That’s working but when I get to my target weight I’m going experiment with maybe less fat and more protein and seeing if at a lower weight I can tolerate more carbs. Not sure high fat is good long term but it certainly is helping now and we’ll see what happens when I get to my goal weight.