"Just" getting old ...

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
My symptoms were bothering me so I made an appointment with my internist; I needed my thyroid bloods done anyway.

Since it took 6 weeks for him to have time for me, I started taking a supplement with the following: black cohosh for hot flashes, Soy for estrogen, wild yam extract for mood swings, and dong quai for headaches. (I was able to contact my gynecologist in the meantime who said that the supplements are fine but if I need it, medication for depression mimics hormone replacement and that she'd recommend something for me. )

I'm 53 and the following symptoms got much worse in the past couple of months:

Hot flashes much worse over
Waking up early and unable to go back to sleep
Feeling like slightly drunk almost all the time
Headaches

My regular doctor thinks it "just" menopause/getting older.

If my symptoms are short-lived, how great would that be! But my dr said that women can have symptoms well into their 60's. Yuck. And there's no way to know that now!!!!

Oh, well. At least nothing BAD is wrong with me.

(DH said that he could have told me that I'm getting older, not charged me a copay, and not forced me to sit for 2 hours in the waiting room, for my turn. Haha.)

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Wow I had never heard of the headaches or feeling drunk. I do have night sweats that wake me up but I am able to get back to sleep. My problem is it is so much harder to lose weight. I do okay when I have enough time to work out an hour a day. But I am working full time now and have down to only 3 days of an hour of exercise. I am able to stop the gain but not to lose yet. Hope things get better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had long stretches of feeling like my eyes were out of sync with the rest of me. I called it vertigo, for lack of a better word. Later someone described it as "wobbly eyes", and that explained if perfectly. It resolved last year. I'm not sure if it resolved because I finally "paused" or because I started low dose BHRT. I don't miss it. Hope you get a resolution to your symptoms.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, hormones - or lack thereof - do wacky things to a person.