Trying to Lose a stone - tips for motivation

Options
Annamay19
Annamay19 Posts: 7 Member
Hi,

I joined this group as I am not overweight. I have a bmi of 23 but used to have a bmi of 19! Due to stress and anxiety I have piled on a stone in the last year. I want to lose at least seven pounds. Do you have any tips to stop yourself from emotionally eating? I find it especially hard before my period not to eat comfort food. Thanks guys!

Replies

• gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I totally get the emotional eating. I find tracking really helps me because it forces me to weigh how much I actually want to eat that emotional food. It also allows me to eat anything I want - so eating candy for example doesn’t blow the whole diet - but having to budget calories forces me to make better decisions overall.
    Also choosing lighter snacks for mindless eating, like cutting up veggie sticks on the weekend and keeping them in the fridge to snack on, or making plain popcorn instead of a bag of chips. Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I find that not denying but delaying the food helps. Instead of saying "I can't have that" I try to say "I can have that in 10 minutes", then go and do something. Often I find 10 minutes later, the craving is gone. Not a foolproof method. Tracking definitely works. If nothing helps, I second gusnglory6 - healthy snacks rather than the chocolate-chips-pizza bomb.
  • amluckhurst
    amluckhurst Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    When my job was exceptionally stressful, I too put on weight. Eating constantly on the run.
    My nutritionalist told me that the brain uses a lot of protein, and to make sure my diet was protein rich during times of extra stress.
    Also, make sure you eat 2-3 cups of raw veg per day and 2 pieces of fruit. This should naturally sustain you, and you should find cravings start to disappear and you become in control of your intake.
    Good luck, and I'd love to know if you try this and if it works for you too.
    Angela
  • Annamay19
    Annamay19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Really helpful tips here. Waiting ten minutes is a good one and having healthy snacks available is a good one as well. The only way I have ever lost weight in the past is by tracking calories and I have to say it does make you think differently and be more aware of your choices. Good luck with your journeys!
  • Insanitybride2b
    Insanitybride2b Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello I’m looking to also lose a stone sending you a friend request xx