Starting exercise on keto

aishwb
aishwb Posts: 2 Member
Hi guys, I've been in ketosis over a month. Have lost 12lbs, and still have about 25lbs to lose.

I wanted to introduce exercise in my regime. As I started with my program (30 mins cardio + 20 mins weight training) today, I distinctly felt dizzy.

Just wanted to get some advice on best practices here. Definitely doubling up on my electrolytes.
Should I increase my protein intake? Will this inhibit my weight loss, etc?

Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks you! :)

Replies

• aishwb
    aishwb Posts: 2 Member
    Found a lot of useful information on older posts. This is helpful!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Protein won't inhibit your weight loss unless it puts you over on calories. If your dizzy due to hunger any food will help. Protein would be a reasonable choice. The dizziness is likely electrolytes so continue to address those.
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Finally got a nice day of weather here so I will be getting out the road bike for about 30 miles to see how my body responds to endurance activities under keto. Will let you know how it goes.
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Rode 30 miles and made 2 water bottles with potassium in them. Not used to riding this distance at this time of year but felt pretty good for the first 25 miles. Got a little fatigued after that and tested blood sugar when I got home and it was at 74. The only carbs I had prior to my ride all day were a table spoon of peanut butter and a handful of peanuts. Hoping that really dipped into my fat reserves.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    salt is the big one for me, if I start feeling woozy I stick some salt under my tongue
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    aishwb wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been in ketosis over a month. Have lost 12lbs, and still have about 25lbs to lose.

I wanted to introduce exercise in my regime. As I started with my program (30 mins cardio + 20 mins weight training) today, I distinctly felt dizzy.

Just wanted to get some advice on best practices here. Definitely doubling up on my electrolytes.
    Should I increase my protein intake? Will this inhibit my weight loss, etc?

Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks you! :)

if you just started any type of workout then it might be that. depending on what you eat and how it works with your body can also cause your body to keep working on using ketones and figuring out how to use them.

but i would guess it's the workout, take it simple and keep improving each week. If you get sore and start craving protein go ahead and feed your body some protein and a little bit of fat (can of tuna, chicken breast, ect) something unprocessed if possible or very little processing. But make sure your getting enough salts, potassium, calcium, magnesium, based foods like hass Avocados, spinach, mushrooms, kale (if it does good with you) salmon ect. good luck!
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    ClayBengal wrote: »
    Rode 30 miles and made 2 water bottles with potassium in them. Not used to riding this distance at this time of year but felt pretty good for the first 25 miles. Got a little fatigued after that and tested blood sugar when I got home and it was at 74. The only carbs I had prior to my ride all day were a table spoon of peanut butter and a handful of peanuts. Hoping that really dipped into my fat reserves.

try a home made peanut butter or pecan butter see what that does. but given you worked out i don't think it affected your keto much given you'd be burning the glucose during the ride. but that still can leave you feeling off.