My typical breakfast

Options
scubatroll
scubatroll Posts: 11 Member
Blood sugar was 230 this morning. So I decided to skip carbs today as much as possible,
Started off with 4 pieces of bacon and 2 Organic brown eggs over easy. It is hard to skip the toast but that would have sky rocketed my blood sugar to over 300. Only took 1 metformin although the DR said I need 2 2 metformin & 2 glipizides every morning and evening. I'm trying to wean myself off the meds with my diet alone.

Replies

• tdld
    tdld Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How has your sugar levels been after breakfast and meds - my doctor wants me to check 1-2 hours after eating to see the effects of my insulin?

I have found that lots of water helps to bring down sugar levels.
  • scubatroll
    Options
    Thats good to know...I don't usually drink water at all. Coffee is my kryptonite. I have about 8 cups a day
  • grinchtoes03
    grinchtoes03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, have you ever had issues with blood sugar spiking in the morning even though it was low when going to bed? Also what range is good for you? My meter levels between 5-7 are good id be dead if it was 300 lol There must be a difference between Canadian and amercian meters? :D
  • scubatroll
    Options
    Yes, my blood sugar is always higher in the morning that at night. Mine was 171 this morning although it was only 123 when I went to bed. To me that sounds like a big spike, I usually don't worry too much about my blood sugar if it is in the 120-170 range. Your range of 5-7 converts to 90-126. I wish I had those numbers. I resisted going to the Dr for years and it was only when my dad had to start taking insulin that I started taking my own blood sugar levels seriously. Wish I had started earlier.
  • scubatroll
    Options
    I decided to go Keto again. Trying to keep my carbs less than 20 grams a day. No breakfast, but for lunch I had a McDonald's double quarter pounder with cheese and threw away the bun.
    Macros were 42 g fat, 45 g protein, 5 g carbs & 1 g sugar. The hard part will be when I get home...my wife has a strawberry pie that is calling my name.
  • skryking
    skryking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the spikes in the morning are probably the dawn effect... your body dumps glucose into your system when it thinks its time to get up.
  • scubatroll
    Options
    skryking wrote: »
    the spikes in the morning are probably the dawn effect... your body dumps glucose into your system when it thinks its time to get up.

That is probably the best explanation I have heard for my high blood sugar in the morning. Thanks

• teejaysanders12
    teejaysanders12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, have you ever had issues with blood sugar spiking in the morning even though it was low when going to bed? Also what range is good for you? My meter levels between 5-7 are good id be dead if it was 300 lol There must be a difference between Canadian and amercian meters? :D
    I have that issue and my Dr told me it's called The Dawn Phenomenon, here a link to explain it all, hope you find this helpful.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/dawn-phenomenon-or-somogyi-effect