TIPS FOR COMBATING TIREDNESS WHILE DIETING

Annamay19
Annamay19 Posts: 7 Member
Hey guys,

I am on day 5 of my diet. Trying to shed some weight after recovering from a bout of depression and anxiety which was a large factor in my weight gain. (emotional eating)

I am finding the diet unusually comfortable so far. Not feeling hunger pangs or cravings, however my energy is quite low. I am usually ready for bed by 9PM and can sleep in until 9am on weekends. I drink three cups of coffee a day as well as green tea which helps a bit. Any other tips?

Thank you!

Anna

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How high is your deficit? What is your macro breakdown? Is your quality of sleep being affected? What do your workouts look like, are you doing too much too fast? All can be factors that can contribute to your energy levels
  • Annamay19
    Hi Sardelsa, thank you for your response. My calories are 1430 per day, however this is just a ballpark figure, and some days I go over by around 150 and sometimes I go under by 50 calories. I am only 5ft so I am aiming to gradually decrease my calorie intake, once I am regularly hitting 1450 calories to 1350 calories.

I know that 1200 calories is way too low as when I tried to only consume this, I lost 5 pounds in 10 days and felt awful. I genuinely don't know how many calories I need to maintain my weight, but I do know that the amount that is given by most calorie calculators seems way too low - when I was not dieting or gaining weight I could eat around 1850 calories per day. Calorie calculators tell me to eat between 1500 - 1600 to maintain weight.

What exactly is a 'macro breakdown?' Apologies for my ignorance.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Calorie calculators are only an estimate, they are low for me too. You definitely don't want to lose too fast if you are closer to goal (being in this group that is the assumption). I don't know your weight but yea 5lbs in 10days might be a bit much, so keeping your calories higher then decreasing gradually is a good idea to find a sweet spot.

Macros will be the amount of protein, fat and carbs you are taking in. Some people find energy drops when they cut carbs too low. Sometimes it can take some experimenting with the ratios.

Have you increased or changed your exercise routine? I know when I go heavy with the exercise my body feels like a ton of bricks, especially at the beginning.
  • Annamay19
    I am not very active to be honest. Working out is not my favourite activity, but I love cycling and I try and cycle for up to an hour 2 days a week, but it has been snowing so I have just cycled one day this week. I think that it maybe protein I need to eat more of so I will try and increase that. I tend to eat more carbs than protein. I eat mostly vegetarian with some fish. I am eight stone 6 pounds, my goal is seven stone 6. Thank you for your help!
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I think (and there are various reasons for this) MFP users tend to underestimate how many calories they can eat and still lose weight successfully. If you can eat more while still losing, stick with that. You can go in and manually change your calorie goals for the day from the estimate MFP gives you. I'm 5'1" and like the energizer bunny, and I can maintain with significantly higher calories than calculators give me. I'll also second making sure you're getting adequate macros. I'm generally good about hitting carbs and fats every day, but I have to pay attention to protein to make sure I'm getting enough.
  • Annamay19
    That's a good tip - I find the only way to know how many calories and macros I need is by experimenting with different amounts until it works and feels comfortable.
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    I’m on my second week and have lost 1kg so far. I work 6 days a week and with 1200 calories diet plan, I often feel dizzy.

What helps me the most is extra snacking and lots of sleep. I’m glad I have sedentary lifestyle because I don’t think I can move more than I already do lol
  • abguan
    abguan Posts: 8 Member
    Exercise! As much as possible. It will give you energy. Whatever you can fit into your life - take the stairs, do push-ups, walk. It helps so much.
  • Abzuran
    Abzuran Posts: 4 Member
    I am finding this too. I work out 2-5x a week and have pretty labour intensive part time work. I have a deficit of 800 cals, but often find I eat at a deficit of 600-700. I'm losing weight unusually rapidly (3lbs last week) and I've never lost weight before.

I'm combating this with coffee, which I know isn't ideal. I'm trying to sleep more but find it doesn't matter if I sleep 3 hours or 12 hours, it's pretty much the same at the moment. I'm trying to explore other areas of my health like what I'm eating and medication to see if there's anything else interfering with my energy.