OT (sort of) -- My 600-Pound Life

Options
beachwoman2006
beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
Does anyone else watch this show? If so, do you ever find yourself thinking, "There but for the grace of God go I"?

Replies

• RedSassyPants
    RedSassyPants Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Yes to both. It sure makes you think.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Can’t watch much. Sad

There was a local young 600?man that had a local TV News team raised money and got him into a medical program.

He did not make the changes that were provided for him... he died.

Only one person can do that change.

• goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I do think about how easy it would be to slip off that cliff. Usually that show is pretty depressing, but this last one with the two brothers was pretty good.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    I feel blessed daily with fewer problems. At times I could see myself at 300+ with more emotional eating stuff.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    DW watches it, I can’t. Or won’t.

I don’t think I would have lived long enough to get to 600. But at 285 I saw my 300lb life coming straight at me. Guess at that point I got scared straight.

Grace of God? It sure was, no other explanation.
  • beachwoman2006
    Options
    Yes, and I do think about how easy it would be to slip off that cliff. Usually that show is pretty depressing, but this last one with the two brothers was pretty good.

I agree. Both of them did pretty well. The one who started at 747 especially. The other one FINALLY got on the bandwagon and did what was needed.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am still amazed and surprised that I got near 400 pounds! I was 376 at age 65 and know I’m a lucky SOB to be to ALIVE!

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched in awhile, but I think this show does a better job highlighting several things:

1. The changes have to be made before surgery for any chance of succeeding.
    2. There's plenty of hard work to be done in order to succeed.
    3. THere is a lot of psychopathology in these people as well as their social support system. And if it isn't addressed, failure is a serious option.
    4. It's not as simple as some surgery. See #2.

I like that the Doctor is willing to address these issues. Sometimes fairly bluntly.

Do I think I could have gotten to 600 pounds? I'm skeptical.
  • beachwoman2006
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    address these issues. Sometimes fairly bluntly.

I think Dr. Now would fit into GOAD quite nicely. :)

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched in awhile, but I think this show does a better job highlighting several things:

3. THere is a lot of psychopathology in these people as well as their social support system. And if it isn't addressed, failure is a serious option.

I like that the Doctor is willing to address these issues. Sometimes fairly bluntly.

I don't think I've ever seen the show (maybe a time or two a few years ago). While I never saw myself headed toward 600 pounds, I feel like @countcurt 's list might apply to me in a scaled down version, especially #3.

So much of this weight loss experience has been mental for me. Striving to pay attention and find the link(s) between food and emotions at the critical moment have taken practice. Even pulling myself back from the brink JUST before engaging in the mindless eating has been insightful.

I just got back from a couple days "vacation"--substitute for my trip to FL that fell through spent over on Lake Erie. It reminded me how much I used to plan my life around food--especially road trips. I would spend considerable time looking up options for Mom-n-Pop diners, good bars and grilles, bakeries, etc. I really don't regret any of that but I make much healthier choices now.

Changing my relationship with food took some deep digging into why I prioritized and leaned on it the way that I did. As Charlie told me, I do believe "I'm not cured". However, there is a great deal that has changed in my mindset related to food and what it does for me. I knew from the start it wouldn't be a quick fix, but plodding though the process really did me a world of good. Persistence for sure though--not perfection.