Important Difference?

Options
countcurt
countcurt Posts: 593 Member
Last night I cooked a chicken dish using boneless skinless chicken thighs. I normally use boneless skinless chicken breasts but we had a package of thighs and my wife wanted to use them up. I was surprised by how much better the dish was using the thigh meat- the taste was similar although the meat held up to the sauce better and the thigh meat was more appealing in texture anddefinitely more tender.

This am I looked up the NI and was shocked that a serving (4 ounces raw, 3 ounces cooked) contains only 10 additional calories compared to the breast meat. But- there are 2 additional fat grams (two fewer protein grams) which account for that difference. They are not on the WW 0 points food list.

I can't say we're switching all of our cooking to thighs, but I now see that for certain dishes, the thighs seem like a better way to go with minimal impact on caloric intake.

So, am I missing something here?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,994 Member
    Options
    Same for pork tenderloin, but with SPs also.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I switched to thighs a while ago. I still occasionally use chicken breasts, but I find that the thighs are just moister. And, as you pointed out, there's really not much of a hit in the calorie department. Or if I'm making something like a chicken salad, I'll use half boneless skinless chicken breast and half boneless skinless chicken thighs. I also think they have more taste to them. They're also cheaper.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    I think I saw an Internet post on making that switch this weekend.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I think I saw an Internet post on making that switch this weekend.

The post was about WW making that switch or an individual?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    An individual. You know, it was 1 of those 8 Diet Tricks You Didn’t Think Of sorta things.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Thighs have always been considered fattier. Taste better but I am fine with chicken breasts except when I cook whole chicken. I got "worldclass" local whole chickens for 88cents a pound a couple of days ago so having a thigh as a treat. I don't think it is a big deal either but I suppose making thighs "free" might add up??
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I'm a thigh believer too!