Keto Help

Options
andrea4736
andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
Hello all! Today is Day 2 of me fully embracing Keto. I had much success before and lost ~40 lbs to hit goal weight right before getting pregnant. Whomp whomp. Lol. I put on about 45 lbs while pregnant (yikes!), quickly dropped 20 and then stalled. I know this works so I'm going back to it as it's the only WOE I've found that I can actually live with long term. My question is more of a personal experience question...do you find that calories or macros are more important to your weight loss? Let's say I have it set to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. Do you think you have better results aiming for a set calorie amount or do you aim for certain fat and protein goals? I want to make sure I see definite results in a timely matter but I want to make sure I'm eating enough as well. Thanks!

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Back in the good ol' keto days (I was keto for 1.5 years), I started the WOE with lazy keto. I just counted carbs. That worked for 3 months and then I stalled. The only thing that got me losing again was counting calories as well. That's how I came to be haunting this place. :lol: I went on to lose to my goal weight. Which took awhile because I participated in an IF ad libitum challenge. So no counting calories. I stalled again. Shocker... :smirk:
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have a feeling that is going to be where I end up as well. Stupid calories. Lol
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm all about calories for weight loss and macros for satiety, fitness goals and personal preference. My personal experience was I used calorie counting at a calorie deficit throughout weight loss and happened to eat on the higher end of low carb (128 grams average) throughout that weight loss phase and 18 months into maintenance. I stumbled upon keto and decided to trial it for a year for reason other than weight management. I continued to count calories at keto macros and continued to maintain. I did find LCHF more satiating and for that reason continue to eat LCHF macros though not keto allocations. I still count calories. I still maintain.
  • Heatherann78
    Heatherann78 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We are in the same boat girl! I keto'ed for the first time in July 2016 and the weight just fell off - 20 lbs in 3 weeks. And like you, I got pregnant ;) Gained 34, lost it all 10 weeks after birth plus another 4 then stalled out. However, I was about 35 lbs from my goal before getting preg, tho :( Since having baby, I have been breastfeeding, so couldn't do any drastic dieting, but did keto again in Nov. 2017 to quickly drop 18 bs in 3 weeks for my dr. physical...course then the holidays came and cuz my milk supply took a big hit from ketoing for the physical, it all slowly came back over the last 4 mths. My baby is turning 1 in 2 weeks and I'm trying to ween her off, so I'm a week in now and 10 lbs down. Finding it harder this 3rd time around! Having aversions to foods I ate a lot of the last 2 times, and don't have the time to cook more time consuming dishes with a high energy 3 yr old and a clingy baby ;)

To answer your ?, I find I have to watch calories AND the macros to have the most success. Eating in the 1300-1400 cal range and hitting as close to 75g protein/20g carbs or less/125g fat seems to be the key for me.

Add me as a friend if you'd like, def need the support and to share food ideas to keep me on this :)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Like @Heatherann78, I have to watch calories. I seem to have no switch that tells me I'm full or had enough to eat, so a visual cue on MFP is necessary. I try to meet protein and carbs, and just fill the rest in with fat. I also use a weekly average as my guide for calories and all macros, instead of trying to hit it right on every single day.