Keto and HIIT...How do you manage

Options
rezart
rezart Posts: 12 Member
Everyone,
I am doing keto and do HIIT, however, as I just started I am thinking I still have some reserves which get me through the workouts. How do you manage <30g of carbs and HIIT without feeling like you are about to die :smiley:

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    You will likely need to wait 6+ weeks until you're fat adapted.
    Once you are, salt up pre-workout.

Expect your workouts to suffer a bit as you switch from carbs as fuel to fat as fuel. However, once you do, you can even work out fasted.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i can second the advice from Cadori, works well!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    if I start to feel woozy during a workout, I put some salt under my tongue
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You will have to become fully adapted, but here is a recent study that shows you do NOT need carbs for cross-fit, which, in reality is HIIT.

http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/6/1/1/htm
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    HIIT is designed to make you feel like you're dying, tabata being the pinnacle of suck. I mean, that's the point of the acronym: high intensity interval training. If you feel like it's a breeze, you're undercutting the intensity.

That said, you don't "have" to be fat adapted (actually around ~3 weeks: http://caloriesproper.com/long-term-fat-adaptation/) to do HIIT. It's going to suck no matter what. Sure, there's a temporary performance drop, but unless you're a hardcore athlete trying to get the fastest WOD time, don't worry about your performance. What matters is that you're active.

That said, electrolytes become imperative during the adaptation phase. What's referred to as "keto flu" is the shift in substrate usage and with that process comes a dump in electrolytes, especially sodium, as glycogen stores drop off, so you're going to need to increase electrolyte intake to make up for it. If that means >5g of sodium, then so be it. I needed ~9g on average during the adaptation phase just to fight fatigue.