Kick

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
Any tips on how to "kick from the hips" (front and back crawl)? I know that's what I'm supposed to do, and I'm repeatedly told I'm not doing it, but I haven't had an instructor who can give me concrete tips on what to focus on or do to make this happen. I've been able to correct my arms on all 3 strokes as well as my breaststroke kick, all within the past few weeks, but I'm flummoxed by this kick from the hips. Not sure what to do or how it should feel. Appreciate any tips! TIA.

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I seem to be constantly working on my kick. I tend to stop kicking when my right arm leaves the water to start my pull. I have NO IDEA why. But people on this board suggested two things that have helped: 1- Superman drill (I had to google it) and 2- fins. I put the two together and do my middle set of 15 laps this way. I don't need as much work on my left side pull, but the other thing it has helped is flat body positioning (no sinking hips). It's taken quite a while for my body to commit it to memory, but I have noticed in the past couple of months that there are WAY MORE good swims than I used to have. I have also had a few awesome swims, and those used to happen only about 2x a year.

I know from my water fitness class that you should be trying to hold your core tightly (as if you are in a moving elevator and need to use the bathroom). Pull the bellybutton up and in, squeeze the glutes tight. It's challenging to do this all the time, but between that and keeping my knees nearly straight, (with fins), I have managed to improve, albeit slowly! :blush:
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Thank you. I've been told the same thing that I stop kicking when I breathe. I made good progress this morning when my coach asked if I could feel the water pushing against the sole of my foot. I couldn't! I realized I was kicking down, but not back up. As soon as I figured that out, coach was very happy. It sounds so basic, but has taken me so long. I know it will take awhile to make this second nature and still lots of other things still to work on. This coach is moving, so I hope the Y can find someone else who is so good at breaking down our strokes. Happy swimming!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I've heard (might try tonight) that single leg kicking is good
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was told to concentrate on 'kicking' from my thighs and let everything below that be pretty loose...especially ankles. (To move your thighs with any power you naturally tighten the abdominals.)

Perhaps calling it kicking is misleading - maybe it is thunder-thighing ?!

Is it power up and down, or push one way and relax back ? I think I have been told both by different instructors....

Won't you end up going round in circles Emmab?!
  • lorrpb
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    I've heard (might try tonight) that single leg kicking is good

I would be a sorry sight attempting that! But I prob should try.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    I was told to concentrate on 'kicking' from my thighs and let everything below that be pretty loose...especially ankles. (To move your thighs with any power you naturally tighten the abdominals.)

Perhaps calling it kicking is misleading - maybe it is thunder-thighing ?!

Is it power up and down, or push one way and relax back ? I think I have been told both by different instructors....

Won't you end up going round in circles Emmab?!

I swear I hear everything both ways. I guess it depends on a person's specific issue. For me on the kick, I think it will be about powering up and relaxing down.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    The other thing I have heard helps is vertical kicking. I don't do this on my own, but we do a lot of it in our cardio class. I noticed yesterday when the instructor shouted out that we put our hands up over our heads, people nearly went under. I didn't, and I think it's because even though my kick isn't always continuous, it can be strong ;)

One leg kick... I'm going to try that! Sounds brutal!