Keto Kardio

ClayBengal
ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
During the warmup phase of cardio I’m seeing some high heart rates but I get it uder control after a minute or two. Not sure if it’s a lack of glucose available for the effort or something else. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @cstehansen Is this perhaps cortisol related??
  • ClayBengal
    edited March 2018
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @cstehansen Is this perhaps cortisol related??

Does cortisol drop in ketosis?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I've never experience elevated heart rate at the beginning (warm up) of exercise when I ate keto or otherwise. If I did and it persisted I would probably make an appointment with my doc.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited March 2018
    @ClayBengal - @cstehansen is an endurance athlete who developed diabetes due to high volume meals, only to discover that his issues were related to cortisol, not insulin resistance - as was expected to be the case. He has, if I correctly recall, had some elevated heart rate issues associated with workouts, but I couldn't remember if this was related to the elevated cortisol issues that are compounded with workouts, etc. Hopefully he can chime in and give some information here...especially given that he's done both long and short workouts, intense and less intense workouts, endurance and interval workouts, cardio and weights, etc. So, I was just wanting to have him refresh my memory and see if he has any input into your specific question. He's also eaten under just about every type of eating plan, and has extensive experience with nutritional ketosis...

Apparently, after a quick google, this can be a thing, due to:

A lot of people who run with heart rate monitors often see their heart rate spike at the beginning of a run, only to subside after a mile or two. This kind of spike only happens if you didn’t warm up long enough.

• If the body isn’t warmed up, there is little blood flow to the muscles (and therefore little oxygen).
    • For a short period of time, the muscles have to work anaerobically, increasing the heart rate.
    • The body rushes to shunt blood away from the organs and towards the muscles. This is a major stressor.
    • The spike in heart rate subsides when increased blood flow (and the oxygen that comes with it) allows the muscles to work aerobically.
    • Therefore, the spike itself is an indicator that your heart rate was inadequate.
    • It takes 12-15 minutes for the body to warm up properly.

https://runninginsystems.com/2015/11/07/question-from-a-reader-why-does-my-heart-rate-spike-at-the-start-of-a-run/

It also looks like conductivity to your HRM at first can be an issue, too:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Really_high_heart_rate_during_warm_ups__Any_Dr.s_out_there_P4447339/
  • ClayBengal
    Thx!
  • KnitOrMiss
    @ClayBengal
    I went back and did a quick google, notes above...

Looks like it could be an issue with the HRM contacts...and/or a just a transition thing.

As @kpk54 mentioned, I'd track it for a while, and mention it at your next doc appt if it still is concerning.
  • ClayBengal
    I’ve had elevated hr’s before when electrolytes were low and I was deep into a distance ride but not usually at beginning. I would think there has to be consequences in endurance training when you are keeping daily carbs below 30. This is uncharted territory for me because in the past I would carb load before long rides. I’d hate to add carbs because I still have fat stores to reduce and I'm more concerned about fat loss than performance at this point. Keto and my hr may not even be related but seemed to correlated. I do notice my legs do not have the same power available during ketosis compare to carb loading. Seeing no one else seems to have this issue it is novel to me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Ketone fueled energy is more sustained energy. Carb fueled energy is better for BURST activities. Becoming adapted allows you to use both types of energy, if I recall correctly.

@Marcelynh just did a marathon keto adapted, so I imagine she would have some insight. The book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Phinney and Volek might provide some good insight, too...

So if the oxygenated blood flow takes a little longer to get started during your warmup, that makes sense for the heart rate boost... Also, naturally, a lower normal rate might take a little boost to get going. I'd track it and watch for other symptoms...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @ClayBengal - @cstehansen is an endurance athlete who developed diabetes due to high volume meals, only to discover that his issues were related to cortisol, not insulin resistance - as was expected to be the case. He has, if I correctly recall, had some elevated heart rate issues associated with workouts, but I couldn't remember if this was related to the elevated cortisol issues that are compounded with workouts, etc. Hopefully he can chime in and give some information here...especially given that he's done both long and short workouts, intense and less intense workouts, endurance and interval workouts, cardio and weights, etc. So, I was just wanting to have him refresh my memory and see if he has any input into your specific question. He's also eaten under just about every type of eating plan, and has extensive experience with nutritional ketosis...

Apparently, after a quick google, this can be a thing, due to:

A lot of people who run with heart rate monitors often see their heart rate spike at the beginning of a run, only to subside after a mile or two. This kind of spike only happens if you didn’t warm up long enough.

• If the body isn’t warmed up, there is little blood flow to the muscles (and therefore little oxygen).
    • For a short period of time, the muscles have to work anaerobically, increasing the heart rate.
    • The body rushes to shunt blood away from the organs and towards the muscles. This is a major stressor.
    • The spike in heart rate subsides when increased blood flow (and the oxygen that comes with it) allows the muscles to work aerobically.
    • Therefore, the spike itself is an indicator that your heart rate was inadequate.
    • It takes 12-15 minutes for the body to warm up properly.

https://runninginsystems.com/2015/11/07/question-from-a-reader-why-does-my-heart-rate-spike-at-the-start-of-a-run/

It also looks like conductivity to your HRM at first can be an issue, too:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Really_high_heart_rate_during_warm_ups__Any_Dr.s_out_there_P4447339/

I haven’t logged I for a couple days. I think there is some confusion. I have always leaned more toward strength training than endurance. I have run a few 5k races, but that is as far as I have gone.

I do have elevated cortisol, but not elevated HR. Sorry.