Progress Report

Options
15678911»

Replies

• fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Hey guys!

I’d stopped posting here because it went so quiet but glad to see you guys are here. I’ve been using the give me one month threads in motivation and support forum to keep me going and so far it’s still going really well.

I started at 325 on 22nd August 2019 having put on all I lost the other year and then some. I’ve been upping my walking using my Fitbit to track and am still ice skating at least once a week. I drink as much water as I can bear to take every day, usually around 3 litres a day and I’m so pleased to be able to say that I’m down to 261.9 today which feels absolutely miraculous. I know it’s still heavy but it’s lighter than I’ve been since 2013.

I’ve found the give me one month threads really inspirational, especially if you don’t mind weighing every day. I like having as much information as possible and whilst the little increases are disheartening I can see the trend and work out what puts me back up. It’s really helping me.

I hope we can keep this thread going and get others to join in, this group was a lovely little community! 😊
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    My Starting Weight: ~375 lbs (01/01/2017)
    My goal: 220 lbs (This would put me in the obesity stage 1 category)
    Milestone: 275 lbs (this puts me at 100 lbs lost again; then I'll go back to the 260 milestone)
    Current Weight: 273.7 lbs 1/16/20
    Loss this Week: -2.1 lbs
    Total loss: -101.3 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work
    : FINALLY! I'm finally back to over 100 lbs lost - literally, not rounded off lol Though I am bracing myself for next week's reading, as I know it'll be back up a little. My weight loss trend since summer has been to ratchet its way down, so down a little, back up a little, then down a little more......and next week is going be THAT week for me this month.

I'm going out to dinner tonight with my parents to Ruby Tuesdays as I was given a gift card over Christmas, but I have planned my meal ahead of time, so we'll see how well I stick to it. I don't believe they have dinner rolls or breads, so that may be a big help as I've a horrible weakness for bread of any sort lol
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Hey guys!

I’d stopped posting here because it went so quiet but glad to see you guys are here. I’ve been using the give me one month threads in motivation and support forum to keep me going and so far it’s still going really well.

I started at 325 on 22nd August 2019 having put on all I lost the other year and then some. I’ve been upping my walking using my Fitbit to track and am still ice skating at least once a week. I drink as much water as I can bear to take every day, usually around 3 litres a day and I’m so pleased to be able to say that I’m down to 261.9 today which feels absolutely miraculous. I know it’s still heavy but it’s lighter than I’ve been since 2013.

I’ve found the give me one month threads really inspirational, especially if you don’t mind weighing every day. I like having as much information as possible and whilst the little increases are disheartening I can see the trend and work out what puts me back up. It’s really helping me.

I hope we can keep this thread going and get others to join in, this group was a lovely little community! 😊

Hey!

I've been posting in another thread as well since this one went pretty quiet, but that seems to be what happens to most groups on MFP. In the spring, lots of new people come on, all motivated and looking to chat, and then as the year passes, they start to fall off until by Christmas, most are gone. Then we repeat again after the new year :)

Everyone has set backs, though - but you haven't completely given up, and that's what counts! I had reached a maximum of around 109 lbs lost (can't quite remember exactly where it was and since I don't have premium, I can't look back all the way to 2017 to find out), then hit that dreaded plateau and over the course of 18 months, slowly regained 30 lbs of it until I hit 295 lbs. Then I finally started losing again in summer of 2019, though its been agonizingly slow and I've had to fight for every step of the way.

For me, weight loss success seems to be some kind of mental switch - I can try and try and try time and time again and fail each time, but then suddenly, for no reason I can discern, I started succeeding. This lasts a few months, and then it seems that whatever switch came on to allow for success gets flipped back off again, and I stall out. But at least this time around, I only regained about 30 lbs instead of 95 like the last time!

You're doing great, though! It's all about finding what works for you as an individual, and it sounds like you're on the right track now, so great job!
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So I come in here and post, and my phone eats it, ugghh!

I am still lurking, even if my posts get lost somehow. Lol.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    MzCara148 wrote: »
    So I come in here and post, and my phone eats it, ugghh!

I am still lurking, even if my posts get lost somehow. Lol.

@MzCara148 I don't even try to use my phone for posting. I have a time just using it to make my diary updates! Lately, that's been even more difficult because on the phone, when I search for something, I've been getting the russian entries :angry: Not to mention trying to get the phone app to actually sync.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Milestone: 267 lbs (this was my lowest weight that I can remember when I was losing)
    Current Weight: 274.0 lbs 1/23/20
    Loss this Week: +0.3 lbs
    Total loss: -101 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work: This week was bad, as you've seen me whine elsewhere. I don't know what it was about Ruby Tuesday's that set me off, either, because I had pre-planned before I got there. The pre-planning was only partially successful, but even still, I'm not sure why that set me off for the rest of the weekend. Finally got it back under control on Monday, only to have the breakfast at work yesterday kill me. But I stayed under maintenance levels yesterday, at least.

I wasn't going to record today because I figured I was going to still be retaining water especially considering what time of the month it is, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the 274 reading this morning - 0.3 up from last week, which really is statistically nothing, considering TOM'll be here in 24 hours AND the ton of restaurant food I ate yesterday, which usually results in me retaining some water (I' guessing all the sodium used in those foods).

So I'm still over the 100 lbs lost mark, and hopefully am back in the saddle, even if my perch is a little shaky! Next week will be a little difficult as I have an out of town meeting to go to, so Monday and Tuesday are going to be out. I'm off today to wait for the service guy to come work on my pellet stove, and days at home are pretty difficult for me, too - my routine is disrupted and I'm too close to different foods.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Milestone: 267 lbs (this was my lowest weight that I can remember when I was losing)
    Current Weight: 274.0 lbs 1/23/20
    Loss this Week: -5.7 lbs
    Total loss: -106.7 lbs

: I'm over the moon happy to see this reading this morning, and had to double check just to make sure! This week, despite TOM and out of town, was a roaring success for me! I actually managed to stay within 50 calories of my goal over the two days of eating out, even navigating 2 work-provided lunches, with one being pizza!

Next week will be a bit difficult as well, and I hope I can keep my momentum going. My sister's birthday is Sunday and mom is making lasagna, so I already know I'm going to be over. I'll try to keep breakfast to a minimum, but being that we have 2 services on Sunday mornings and we don't get home until closer to 1 pm, I can't skip breakfast completely because I'll be starving halfway through the 2nd service. And even if I only take 1/2 a slice, I already know my mom's lasagna is calorie laden because she uses regular ground beef and lots and lots of cheese. I'll try to get her to give me an accurate list of ingredients so I can build it into the recipe builder here, but that's not always easy because mom never thinks about accurate measurements or anything like that when she's cooking. And I already know skipping dinner won't work, either.

And I had completely forgotten the big round 1 budget meeting next week, which means another night and day out of town. The day before I can use the same techniques I used this week and can hopefully keep things in check, but the day of the meeting is going to be more difficult because the lunch is catered and always calorie laden (this is presented before company presidents and corporate management, so its a big deal). I'll talk to the secretary to find out what is being ordered and see if I can cut things down; come to think of it, I have a pack of fat free Italian dressing left over from a fast food side salad; I need to remember to toss that in my purse that day!

This catered meal is on Wednesday, unfortunately, the day before check-in day, and I figure I'm going to have some water retained next week, which means I'll probably see a stall next week or even a slight increase - my typical ratchet up. But even if I do ratchet up next week, I should still be on track to reach my next milestone the week after, or perhaps 2 weeks later - so by Valentine's day or the week after. My next big milestone after the 267 will be 260, and I'd really like to reach that by my birthday on March 22. That's dropping 9 lbs in 7 weeks, which should be totally doable!
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - amazing job!! Just remember that you have some things beyond your control this week and after a couple of great weeks it would be normal for a bit of an uptick. You got this!! It sounds like you found your “switch” again!!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @MzCara148 yep; apparently the switch is back on for now; the trick is to take advantage of it while its in the on position!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Current Weight: 269.3 lbs 2/6/20
    Loss this Week: +1.4 lbs
    Total loss: -105 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work: I thought I had recorded my weekly update last week with my 268.3 lbs read on 1/30, but apparently I didn't. That's why even though my weight is way down from my last entry in here, I posted a 1.4 lb gain.

What's frustrating is that I know its water weight masking my actual loss. Last week I was at 268.3 lbs. I was under goal 4 out of 7 days for the last week, and another day was over only by 50 calories. The other two days was over but was still under maintenance. So that means I should have at least lost 1 lb since last week. However, on Monday, I got up and saw a 4 lb gain over the weekend. I'm trying to figure out what has triggered the water weight gain, and I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps miralax can cause it? I did eat out a lot the last 2 days, even if it was salads and soup - I suppose the soup I had at Panera Bread was probably high in sodium, so that might be contributing.

I do believe that today's high reading is also because I didn't sleep well last night. I've seen that I'll actually see a slight gain whenever I have a poor nights sleep and get under 5 hours, which is what happened last night-it was well after 1 am before I finally fell asleep, and my alarm was set for 6 am (though who needs an alarm when you have a cat......) I know it was because I had coffee late in the day, but I had no choice as I was traveling home from that meeting a long distance and I was getting sleepy-headed.

However, even knowing all that still doesn't keep me from feeling disheartened. I've been trying so hard to behave myself, and have had some real victories in the last 2 weeks, such as refraining from eating the catered lunch provided at my business meeting yesterday and staying under goal both days that I was out of town for work.

All I can do is keep going, keep trying to get my body to relax, try to get more sleep this weekend, and see what the scale says tomorrow and Saturday.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Current Weight: 269.2 lbs 2/13/20
    Loss this Week: -0.1 lbs
    Total loss: -105.8 lbs

: *sigh* I'm not happy with this week's performance at all. I had convinced myself the 1 1/2 lb jump last week was water weight, but apparently, I was fooling myself. I'm weighing and measuring what I can, but I must be off somewhere, because I was under maintenance 13 out of 14 days the last 2 weeks, and should have shown more than a tenth lb loss.

I've got 2 scales and compare them from time to time and they are within a couple grams of each other, so I don't think that my scale is off. The weekends are bad, I know, but I'm set to sedentary as I really am sedentary, so my calorie count is 1000 off each day, so even eating an extra 1000 calories over the weekend should at least result in 1 to 1.5 lb loss for the entire week. I've also doubled checked what MFP is recommending for my 2 lb/wk loss rate at sedentary settings, and my goal is accurate.

I've been bad for out to eating a lot, and perhaps that's where its coming from. I'm using the nutrition calculators and shaving off what I can on calories, but its probable that the restaurant isn't being accurate with their portions, throwing the calorie counts off. And I'd been slipping and getting half-cut teas. So I'm cutting out the half-cut teas and sticking with unsweet, and I'm going to try to curtail the stops at Arby's for the turkey sliders, even though I was getting them without the cheese and only half the bun. I really need to work on the weekends, too. Its easier during the week to keep to my numbers as I'm at work, but when I'm home all day and get busy, I want to eat more. Of course, being busy increases my activity, so on most weekends I'm not really sedentary I'm actually more lightly active, which ought to be accounting for those extra calories consumed, but apparently its not.

So this next week, we're going to see if I can make myself stick to my calorie goal even over the weekend and cut out the stops at Arby's and see if I have better results next week.

Oh, and I cleaned out around my elliptical this week, and though I absolutely detest it, I'm going to try to make myself use it for at least 30 minutes a day, most days of the week. I despise that sort of activity, but I've got to do something; I know I've about cut my calorie limit as low I can sustain it, and I do need to get exercise in and quit being so sedentary; its just I literally (and I do mean literally!) hate with a passion regular, regimented exercise, whether it be on a machine like an elliptical or a treadmill, whether its at a gym, at home with workout videos, or even trying to force myself to take a daily walk. I don't mind doing heavy yard work and heavy housework; in fact, I feel pretty good after working all day, maybe because I can look back and see that I've accomplished something. But I can't do that with regular exercise; I have to fight to get myself going, fight to keep myself going, and then when I'm done, its just relief that its over and dreading the next day. I haven't found an exercise yet that I really enjoy!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Milestone: 267 lbs - accomplished!!!!
    New Milestone: 260 lbs - this will put me at 39.5 BMI which puts me below the cutoff threshold for WLS
    Current Weight: 266.4 lbs 2/20/20
    Loss this Week: -2.8 lbs
    Total loss: -108.6 lbs

What's Working/What Needs Work: Finally managed to get some of that water weight off! I've been really tight with my logging and getting more activity in, and while that usually results in a water weight bump (the activity, I think, usually causes me to hold a little water I guess are part of the muscle repair process), not to mention TOM going on this week, I still managed to show a loss, and reached my milestone of being under 267 lbs. So I'm now back down to my lowest remembered weight; now to get back to the original milestone of 260 lbs, which puts me under the cutoff threshold for weight loss surgery for someone with no secondary health issues (if you have diabetes, heart problems, etc, then the threshold is 35, but I don't have any of those problems).

The Jiu-Jitsu was interesting and I was just happy that I was able to keep up with the warmup running! I also found out quickly how stiff I am and it was rather difficult just learning to fall down lol I have 2 more free sessions, so I'm going in on Friday this week, then I'll have to wait until late next week for the last free session because I have to be out of town the first of next week for work. It helped immensely that I was not the only largish woman there; the person I was working with was also a larger woman who had been doing this for almost a year. She has no idea how much a difference her presence made in me being comfortable in the class! Folks were very friendly, too. It was welcoming, which was great because it was an all-levels class and most of the folks were well ahead of me as a beginner, though there were a few others, but the instructor was really great and patient, and the person I was working with was as well. That was nice because you know how hard it is being the new person anyway, especially in something where cliques and groups have formed ahead of time and you are the new person that messes up the dynamic. Sometimes in that situation, you get the feeling that your presence is resented, especially in a gym environment; its even worse when you are a large person just getting started on trying to better your fitness, and you are working where there's a bunch of trim, athletic folks way ahead of you;you can't help but feel self conscious.

I've also been trying for hte last week to get my activity up and my step count up. Its embarrassing to admit that my average step count on a work day was around 2,000 steps if I was lucky. So I've been using the elliptical and taking advantage of pretty days to get some walking in. Yesterday, I circled the service center grounds where I work 3 times to get my step count up.

Anyway, this coming week is going to be difficult. Tonight, I'm going to a concert of a local musician, and I've decided that since I will be eating out, I want a calzone. So I'm preparing for it before hand by saving as many calories as I can so I can enjoy the calzone without going over my limits. Its hard to estimate the calzone because I'm going to a local pizza place that doesn't have calorie counts available, so I'm grabbing what I can find and hope it covers. I'm also going to try to get a couple of good walks in today to get my step count up. Friday will be Jiu-Jitsu session #2 which is a really good calorie burner, but I'm not going to eat those calories back on Friday, but save them for Saturday because I'm taking my mom up north to my cousin's baby shower, and will be taking her out to Texas Roadhouse for dinner, and I know I'll need extra calories for the rolls!

Then I'm going to have to go out of town for work on Monday and Tuesday, which means eating out, so Monday evening, I'll need to see about hitting the hotel fitness center and try to get some exercise in and if the weather holds on Tuesday, see if I can get some steps in during lunch.

So here's hoping that next week is not ratchet back up week, but we'll see - that has been my pattern for the last several months.....
  • 2021WLjourney
    2021WLjourney Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Bmeadows!
    Thank you for sharing your story here! I’m very, very impressed by how far you have come and how absolutely relatable your apprehension is around working out as the new person, being bigger than others.
    I applaud you for going anyway and am almost jealous of your positive experience (not truly, but almost, you know what I mean).
    I’ve been holding back so much that I would like to do but don’t feel comfortable at my weight. I’m certain I could sink a kayak in a second lol
    Or getting a bike... would love to find a bike that is strong enough to carry me. But until then it’s walking walking walking!

Oh and just like you, my average steps right now are barely 3,000. Working up slowly.

Have the best of weekends and enjoy that calzone!!!