Diabetes Summit 2018

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Neat!

*FYI, as a Type 1, I keep suggesting we have a new name for this disease since "Diabetes" in so many cases is used exclusively for Type 2 - as for this event, which is clearly designed to be for Type 2 only - and there becomes a lot of confusion amongst the uneducated general public as a result. I swear, if I hear from 1 more person that I can "reverse" my type 1 diabetes with weight loss, I'm going to start getting upset.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Neat!

*FYI, as a Type 1, I keep suggesting we have a new name for this disease since "Diabetes" in so many cases is used exclusively for Type 2 - as for this event, which is clearly designed to be for Type 2 only - and there becomes a lot of confusion amongst the uneducated general public as a result. I swear, if I hear from 1 more person that I can "reverse" my type 1 diabetes with weight loss, I'm going to start getting upset.

Based on this that was posted in another thread - https://blog.thediabetessite.com/5-types/ - not even all type 2 are alike. People look at me sideways when I say I was diagnosed with T2 as even at my "fattest" my bf% was about 22% and I was lifting weights 5 days a week along with just plain being active.

From reading this and what I could from the associated article in the Lancet, I am fairly certain I fall into that second category where I just don't produce enough insulin. LCHF keeps my BG reasonable, but I am beginning to think if that is the case, then I may never get to optimal levels.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Neat!

Based on this that was posted in another thread - https://blog.thediabetessite.com/5-types/ - not even all type 2 are alike. People look at me sideways when I say I was diagnosed with T2 as even at my "fattest" my bf% was about 22% and I was lifting weights 5 days a week along with just plain being active.

From reading this and what I could from the associated article in the Lancet, I am fairly certain I fall into that second category where I just don't produce enough insulin. LCHF keeps my BG reasonable, but I am beginning to think if that is the case, then I may never get to optimal levels.

Yes, I acknowledge Type 2 is often used as a "catch-all" for more than 1 pathway. It's frustrating, right? I can't think of any other disease where the symptoms determine the diagnosis rather than the pathway to the disease.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing this.
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Neat!

Yes, I acknowledge Type 2 is often used as a "catch-all" for more than 1 pathway. It's frustrating, right? I can't think of any other disease where the symptoms determine the diagnosis rather than the pathway to the disease.

Coming from a bitter patient with a few autoimmune diseases, I'd say this is almost every autoimmune disease... from my experience. No symptoms = no diagnosis. Course then again, I've had every symptom and because a lab came up negative I had no diagnosis either... until the lab finally did get bad enough. Pffft. ;)