Haters?

Options
2»

Replies

• gwyneveyre
    gwyneveyre Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get this and I think it’s why it took me so long to get back to it and try to lose the last 10 pounds off my original weight loss goal. I have a wedding coming up now which gives me the excuse of “yeah, I know I don’t *need* to lose weight, but I want to look good in that dress” and somehow that’s more socially acceptable.

Yes, it's prevented me from trying to lose weight also. And it's reminding me of when I decided I didn't need to stop drinking because a lot of my drinking friends drank a lot more than me, and also I was so much better because I was no longer doing other drugs. Haha, that was wrong! Boy did I need to stop drinking and I'm so glad I did. And now I'm no longer friends with active alcoholics, which is better for me all around anyways.

I think it partly bothers other people because they are so unhealthy and then they feel even guiltier about their behavior when you talk about it.
    Also, I would add this: I think that there is a thing with women (maybe men as well...but I know more women), kind of a dance: Oh, I need to lose weight. No, you don't. You're so skinny. Yes, I need to eat better. No, you're the healthiest eater I know.

No woman has ever said to me: Yep, you're right. You are looking kind of flabby. I see you eating cookies at lunch, why don't you stop?

My husband has never replied when I ask: Do I look like I've gained weight...Well, yes, you have.

This is totally true and I think I'm going to stop playing into it. Meaning that if someone tells me they're trying to lose weight I am not going to tell them oh but you look so great. I also won't say they look flabby but I'll just say that I want to support them in whatever way I can. Well unless they're obviously anorexic or something.

However my latest weight-loss effort was actually spurred by my husband who directly asked me to work on my weight. Now, this really pissed me off because the cultural norm is for the husband to never say something like this. So I had to ask myself why am I married to this jerk who says such things to me when I'm really pretty thin compared to many many people. In fact it pissed me off so much that I loaded MyFitnessPal and started doing this, haha! Also I took my waist to hip ratio measurement and I was higher than what is recommended for women. I just turned 49 and that bad ratio is not a trend I want to continue on.

I told him about all this later and he said well that's just cultural programming (that the guy isn't supposed to say that). Later he showed me a video of myself from 3 years ago when I was at my goal weight and I looked super-hot. Like I still look pretty good now but back then wow. So this inspired me.

So KimmySmellsBee I support you fully!