The Scale is Truly a Fickle Mistress

Options
beachwoman2006
beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
edited March 2018 in Social Groups
After going to dinner with a friend on Tuesday night and having eggplant parmesan and a salad, my weight Wednesday morning was UP 2.8 pounds :'( I brought leftovers (about half the entire dish) home with me and had 1/2 for lunch yesterday and 1/2 for dinner last night -- so about the same amount I ate on Tuesday night.

This morning? The scale was DOWN 3.8 pounds! :smiley:

Replies

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    So true indeed.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    I ate almost al my Weeklies at Red Robbin for Bleu Rinbon burger and onion rings...Lost two pounds!

Rinse Repeat?

7u7qwtufaepr.png
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    I ate almost al my Weeklies at Red Robbin for Bleu Rinbon burger and onion rings...Lost two pounds!

You're kiddin'!!!????? My meeting leader LOVES Red Robin. Can't remember her burger of choice but it might just be the same one. Isn't it between 45-50 SPs?

I had my own scale fickleness this week. Within the same day (which I almost never do but had been gone with no scale for a while and WI scheduled for that evening) I was down 2 pounds between 0500 and 1230, then up 1 when I checked again at about 1630.

Officially, I was down 1 from my last WW WI two weeks earlier. Turns out there was no need to worry I was outside my allowable maintenance weight...
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Indeed! It's always interesting to see how the scale moves. Sometimes we *think* we can identify the drivers (e.g., a major increase in "weight" after a salty meal, a major decrease in "weight" after spending a day out hiking and getting dehydrated and depleting your glycogen stores). While these are changes in the "weight" you see on the scale, these don't truly reflect stable-states, they're generally transient.

I, too, had a major and unexpected drop this week, but over the course of the week, "regained" some of that to end up the week with a modest loss instead of a major/crazy loss!
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yup. Which is why the scale is only a useful tool if it is used correctly.

Yes, I’ve had the ups and downs. The range can be pretty wide. And as steve0mania notes, it can be tempting to identify the drivers. That may be helpful in teh short term for things like a weigh-in. For the long term, though, the trendline is much more telling. And identifying the drivers is not that difficult. If one is being honest with oneself.